Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Decisions...decisions...decisions

So, because I'm officially an old frat, pulling the 60" deck out, and wrestling it back under the BX2200 just became to much of a chore. That, and I heal up slower than I used to, so I made someone a great deal on it.

However, that has left me without a mower, so I'm doing some real shopping. I've narrowed it down to the following;
1. Scag Tiger Cat 52" at $8500 out the door kaw fx gas
2. Kubota ZG222 at $7145 otd. Kub gas
And
3. A lightly used 2010 year model ZD221 48" with 30 hours on it at $7400

1 and 2, being new, have warranties. 3 has no warranty due to age.

I've now driven all 3. Interestingly, the Kubota's are smoother and there's no perceptible difference between the 2 Kubota's. All 3 are built like tanks. The Scag is a fortified tank.

Mowing 3-5 acres routinely, and occasionally mowing some rental property. and I know all 3 of those are overkill, but I'm at the age where I don't enjoy working on these things as much as I used to. My thinking being that if I buy a tank and give it good maintenance, then it will (should) last a really long time with few problems. I realize that's a broad thinking statement, that might or might not work out that way.

Anyway, looking for a few opinions on the above. Am I missing anything?

And thanks in advance.

K
Old 07-30-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For use at your own home any of them would serve you very well, even if you wanted to go professional there are guys that will argue for any of the 3. Given your situation I would go for the longest warranty so you have the peace of mind for a while that you won't be the one crawling around under it. Personally when I needed a new mower for at home the decision came down to what one had the most or the best cup holders.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

TTS, now your sounding like my wife.....no way can I tell her she's right..lol
And I fully understand about the cupholders. I also have an older Grand L with zero cup holders. Amazing what a redneck can do with a coffee can!

Thanks for the input.

But it's only 30 hours....and it's a Kubota for Pete's sake!!
Old 07-30-2014, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cup holder?cut the lawn as slow as possible and strap on a cooler lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Cooler is a good idea. How about a keg and a crazy straw?
Old 07-31-2014, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Member

The ZD221 may have the same engine in it that your BX2200 did, which is the D905. I've got a BX23 (a TLB) with that motor in it, and it's a good, proven, bullet-proof engine.

The ZD221 has extremely low hours for a 2010 model, so my only concern would be whether it sat unused for 3 years or more. Otherwise, it should last as long or longer than either of the other two.

Two pluses for the diesel are (1) lower fuel consumption, and (2) you don't have to worry much about diesel going bad like you do with the crappy gasoline we have nowadays.

The negative to the diesel is the expense to work on them if they DO ever have a problem. You can sometimes buy a new gas engine for the cost of fixing a diesel engine.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Oh, one other thing. If you're gonna be mowing 3-5 acres regularly, plus some rental property, I'd want at least a 60" deck, and would prefer a 66" or 72". A 48" or 54" swath is gonna seem pretty small on a five acre tract.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Have you looked at the Gravely or John Deere offerings? Both are solid machines with great decks....the range of Gravely's if your price range come with suspension seats usually as well.

On a side note, the Scag dealer here in OKC has a 52" Tiger Cat with KA power and a suspension seat for $7999. Saw it yesterday in his store. One heck of a machine.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Brules, I'm looking at that exact same Scag. Probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow or Saturday. I like the Scag, but struggling with that $1400 premium over the zg222. Is the Scag that much of a better mower?

I have not looked at the Gravely. Really didn't care for the JD.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbota View Post
Brules, I'm looking at that exact same Scag. Probably going to pull the trigger tomorrow or Saturday. I like the Scag, but struggling with that $1400 premium over the zg222. Is the Scag that much of a better mower?

I have not looked at the Gravely. Really didn't care for the JD.
For what you want I would go scag. Your back will be happy. The 200 line are rough riders but you should never have troubles. If it was me I would find a used zd300. I have 1400 hrs and I've had 2 issues. Seals and bearings on the gear box and a wheel bearing. Also the front of the mower jacks up a long ways, so sharpening blades is a breeze. All the maintenance items are easy to get to without bending all over to get to things.
Posted via Mobile Device