Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-30-2014, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ways to improve Bobcat buckets (Middle bowing issue)

I got a call from Bobcat and they are having a rep come out next Tuesday to talk to me about ways to improve on the machine. They specifically wanted to talk about the buckets and how they tend to bow in the middle. I've got a T770 we bought this year that has 200 hours on it now and the bucket is already bowing slightly. With what I do I am fairly certain it would happen with any bucket from the large boulders we carry and heaping buckets of sand it always has in it. Our Case 450CT never had an issue with the bucket but it had its own issues with the lift arms getting tweaked.

I think using a thicker steel on the sides of the bucket would help. To me it seems like the center of the bucket loads up and pulls the outside corners in. Especially when a 3000-4000 pound boulder is in it.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
I got a call from Bobcat and they are having a rep come out next Tuesday to talk to me about ways to improve on the machine. They specifically wanted to talk about the buckets and how they tend to bow in the middle. I've got a T770 we bought this year that has 200 hours on it now and the bucket is already bowing slightly. With what I do I am fairly certain it would happen with any bucket from the large boulders we carry and heaping buckets of sand it always has in it. Our Case 450CT never had an issue with the bucket but it had its own issues with the lift arms getting tweaked.

I think using a thicker steel on the sides of the bucket would help. To me it seems like the center of the bucket loads up and pulls the outside corners in. Especially when a 3000-4000 pound boulder is in it.
I use a Bobcat 74" CI bucket. I've had one bow before they went to the rounded back. They are already heavy buckets. I'd like to hear what they say as I really wouldn't want a heavier bucket weight-wise.

I've asked to be contacted a few times about issues I have with my 750 and Toolcat. I've had a lot of different Bobcat skid steer machines as they have evolved all of the large frame machines were rough on their buckets but I only bowed one with an 863.

I don't know much about types of steel but maybe a better grade of steel could be used while keeping the weight about the same.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 07-31-2014, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Sides won't make much difference, it needs a higher yield strength floor and/or a higher sectional modulus in the floor to handle the point loading carrying boulders.

A thicker cutting edge and/or flat bars across the floor (top or bottom), would increase the section modulus.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The perfect way to improve a bobcat skid steer is to replace it with a case.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with lumberjack.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I wonder if all the manufacturers have this problem? or just Bobcat….I personally haven`t noticed any bowing in any of my buckets, but that is in an excavator…Tony
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a little bowing on the cutting edge on my 6t mini ex's 24" bucket, most likely from digging stumps out. My plan, assuming I ever get around to it, is to get a 2' weld on cutting edge, flip the bevel upside down and weld it on to the existing cutting edge to increase the thickness and resultant strength.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Tak came with a Bradco bucket, seams really HD. Demoed a lot of concrete and it is still straight. Salesman did warn me when i bought the machine to be care full about other buckets.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know anything about bobcat buckets but I like the Case buckets so much that on my last two Cat's I ordered them without buckets and bought brand new Case buckets for them! With the replaceable edge of course for obvious reasons.

2013 Cat 299D XHP

Bobcat Flail Cutter
84" Custom Built Scarifier
84" Custom Built Mini Dozer Blade/Grapple Bucket
84" Custom Built Ripper/Ring Roller
84" Level Best Dual Slope Box Grader with Power Masts

http://happytrack.com/html/track_0.html
Old 07-31-2014, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Bobcat Buckets are bent in the middle as well. I think adding more steel is the only thing that will do it. Or better steel... Its funny if you watch their awful Bobcat Advantage videos they have the strongest buckets of any manufacturer, according to them.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja