Register free!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

35 Watt Equivalent LED for G4 base.

I am searching for a 35 watt (or greater) equivalent LED with a 360 degree output that would fit a typical g4 socket (general low voltage bi pin in the style of the jc20). I have found a few online, but I have no idea if they are reputable. The intention is to convert some line voltage fixtures to low voltage and then get close to the same intensity as a 40-60 watt lightbulb. Im open to suggestion, I can convert sockets to basically any style if needed. I do want to stay away from mr16 as Im not really looking for a directional light output.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm also in search of a bi-pin replacement LED 35w equivalent that would fit into a wall wash type flood that has its own built in reflector. I think this is what you are talking about, so I hope there is someone with good suggestions.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

About the brightest G-4 bi-pin I have seen is carried by VOLT. Their 3 watt puts out 285 lumens. (not a 40-60 watt bulb, but pretty bright for a bi-pin). Chris- Also works amazingly well in a mini-wash light with a good reflector. (I am heading out tomorrow night to get pics of said example). I will post em up for you to see.

I have not seen much of any bi-pin LEDs on the line voltage side. You would almost be better off converting the socket to a candelabra (E12 base). There are quite a few selections in LED you can get from there.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 07-31-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Dauer LED has a few. Never used them though. Here

Highest G4 3w I see from Volt is 259 lumen though. Is webpage not updated?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sorry. I gave incorrect info- 258 lumens is what is on the box.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 08-01-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the box info! Got a hand full of these coming after seeing the CRI >90. Hope that's so. Tim maybe you can verify that from a box you have?
Old 08-01-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The box doesn't mention the CRI rating.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 08-02-2014, 03:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite4 View Post
About the brightest G-4 bi-pin I have seen is carried by VOLT. Their 3 watt puts out 285 lumens. (not a 40-60 watt bulb, but pretty bright for a bi-pin). Chris- Also works amazingly well in a mini-wash light with a good reflector. (I am heading out tomorrow night to get pics of said example). I will post em up for you to see.

I have not seen much of any bi-pin LEDs on the line voltage side. You would almost be better off converting the socket to a candelabra (E12 base). There are quite a few selections in LED you can get from there.
Tim, if the 3 watt you are talking about from volt is the same that they have for their path light, this isn't enough. I tried that lamp in their "big splash" wall wash when I was testing and the lumen output simply gets lost in that particular application. Also, if I'm not mistaken, that particular lamp will not fit into the mini splash...... but I haven't tried that yet. Let me know if I'm not on the same page, but I'm still looking for that 35w equivalent bi pin that I can put into a "big splash" type fixture with that kind of reflector built into it.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 08-02-2014, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Chris,

It fits in the mini. It's tight, but it fits. I had been using the rotatable bi-pin lamp from Illumicare, 130 lumens of front facing projected light. I was worried about losing a bunch of light on the back side of the lamp, but the reflector seems to bounce it around well. I have a stronger lumen output with the VOLT, 3 watt tower than I do with the rotatable in mini wash applications. Not sure on the 35 watt equiv. lamp. What are you trying to wash? Could you use a different fixture with a 60 degree MR16 lamp and an extra diffusion lens to soften?

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 08-06-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There are no G4 BiPin LED lamps on the market that will produce the 350 to 400 Lumens you are looking for. They simply do not exist. I would do what Tim suggests and use a 60 Degree LED MR16 lamp with additional lensing as required.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA