Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-31-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All Im saying someone with the proper equiptment will bid 500 to 600$ on that place, and you fellers will all cry and say hes a lowballer. The feller will do 3 of those places per day and clear around 5000$ per week.

Just because you have a 60" ZTR doesn't make you special, every trailer in town has one.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
All Im saying someone with the proper equiptment will bid 500 to 600$ on that place, and you fellers will all cry and say hes a lowballer. The feller will do 3 of those places per day and clear around 5000$ per week.

Just because you have a 60" ZTR doesn't make you special, every trailer in town has one.
You're not the only guy with a tractor larry. It ain't no secret I keep that I 'm a farmer's kid. Now I'm 35. We mow ditches for Dad with his sometimes. I hate it-too bouncy and jerky and all it's good for is chopping stuff short. Waterways get too weedy or have cows parsnps so we mow em down with it. It has it's purpose for sure. We pull ours with a 200 hp Deere little feller. Wanna whip it out and measure there guy?

The OP asked for a price not how to do it. The owner will look at price and quality. 40 acres don't even come close to justifying a batwing. This is Lawnsite. I can't be the only one here with any real sense?

Larry we gone at it before so I'm over it already there feller. Maybe someone else will join your team and prove me an idiot?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

My place is kinda like that but I don't mow but about 12 acres with a ZTR. Here are a couple of ideas. I see he has two large buildings. See if it is ok with him to store a tractor and mower in one corner of one of the buildings. Go find/get a nice used 2wd tractor of about 50 HP at the PTO. JD 5000ish or Kubota 6040 with around 1500 hours would be ideal. 2wd tractors that size are cheap because everyone now wants a loader with 4WD. Might have to get turfs in the rear if he's picky. Get a Landpride 2512 12 foot batwing. It has high blade speed and then sharpen the blades like a lawnmower. If you mow every week will look great. If you skip a week might get some windrowing but that would be gone the next mowing. Mow as much as you can with that then park it back in its building and finish up with a ZTR around those little trees/dam/fences. Just figure your mowing and clearing the tractor and batwing. If the guy cancels on you for some reason or moves away the tractor and mower hold their value very well (if you get a good deal on the tractor shouldn't lose much at all re-selling it).
Old 08-01-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
That's true, but look at the size of the house compared to the others in the pic. That guy isn't hurting for money, and if he is willing to pay for weekly cuts on 40 acres, he's got the means necessary to afford it done at a decent rate.

On top of that, it may look decent from the air, but I'm betting there's a lot of rough areas to deal with, maybe even some real wash board type stuff around the pond. It also looks like old farm pasture, so it's going to be hard on equipment.

That's why I added to my post- without seeing it in person. Price always depends on conditions.
The lawn was done right They rip it up its not a pasture no more
Around lake there no drop off only place that has a incline is the damn area rest of the lawn is flat with slight taper to the lake
The ground keeper said he can mow it and trim it in 3 8hr days I figure I can do it with 3-4 guys in 8-10 hrs

There is only 3 spots in the lawn that is rough due to drainage from the house

The owner is a Billionaire if not he's really close The house is more a castle then a house
Old 08-01-2014, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

When will you know if you have it?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilrus61 View Post
My place is kinda like that but I don't mow but about 12 acres with a ZTR. Here are a couple of ideas. I see he has two large buildings. See if it is ok with him to store a tractor and mower in one corner of one of the buildings. Go find/get a nice used 2wd tractor of about 50 HP at the PTO. JD 5000ish or Kubota 6040 with around 1500 hours would be ideal. 2wd tractors that size are cheap because everyone now wants a loader with 4WD. Might have to get turfs in the rear if he's picky. Get a Landpride 2512 12 foot batwing. It has high blade speed and then sharpen the blades like a lawnmower. If you mow every week will look great. If you skip a week might get some windrowing but that would be gone the next mowing. Mow as much as you can with that then park it back in its building and finish up with a ZTR around those little trees/dam/fences. Just figure your mowing and clearing the tractor and batwing. If the guy cancels on you for some reason or moves away the tractor and mower hold their value very well (if you get a good deal on the tractor shouldn't lose much at all re-selling it).
I already own a pull type 15' batwing I stop using it when every body got on the band wagon on striping So we started run only ZTR on the big lawns I have
The owner mows big areas with his 15' batwing and pulls it with a 4wd tractor
Old 08-01-2014, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post
You're not the only guy with a tractor larry. It ain't no secret I keep that I 'm a farmer's kid. Now I'm 35. We mow ditches for Dad with his sometimes. I hate it-too bouncy and jerky and all it's good for is chopping stuff short. Waterways get too weedy or have cows parsnps so we mow em down with it. It has it's purpose for sure. We pull ours with a 200 hp Deere little feller. Wanna whip it out and measure there guy?

The OP asked for a price not how to do it. The owner will look at price and quality. 40 acres don't even come close to justifying a batwing. This is Lawnsite. I can't be the only one here with any real sense?

Larry we gone at it before so I'm over it already there feller. Maybe someone else will join your team and prove me an idiot?
You're not the only one with sense. Nobody is going to touch that for less than the OP is talking AND keep it. That's just not profitable. Also, if I have money tied up in a Groundmaster I'm not going to be charging pennies just because I can get it done faster.

My family has a 48 acre ranch which we mow roughly twenty acres of with a 74in CAT powered Dixie Chopper. The ground is rough and there is a lot of trimming along the fence, around two barns and trees and other obstacles... Takes me about four hours solo. So it's not crazy talk. I feel like me and a helper could bang it out in about half a day. Hell I'm pretty sure I could do this solo in a day, especially if it's smooth. It would take a WHOLE day but I'm pretty sure I could do it; 48 acres isn't that big.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twomancrew View Post

Tell you about a batwing mower you cant let the grass get to tall or you have a mess with rows of clippings since the batwing is a rear discharge type

I found out long time ago 2- 72'' and 60'' mowers will out cut a 15 ft batwing pull type My mowers will lap the tractor
Batwing is nice but still going need the extra guys for trimming and mowing the areas that the batwing cant get
To Larry if someone wants to jump on it for 500-600 they can have it I don't need a education on how to mow 40 acres for 500 dollars
Old 08-01-2014, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question? I'm a solo operator and I know my limits about what I can possibly do in a weeks time and a days time when I'm maxed out for work. How as a big business can you take on something like this in the middle of the season unless you were looking to fill another day for a crew? How do you fit that in your schedule if you get it, I guess that's my question?
Old 08-01-2014, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post

I'm special I have 3 72''and 4 60'' in town with 2 60'' for back ups that's at the farm