Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Well i may have screwed up

So i bought this business that was full of unhappy clients that all told me they were on the verge of firing the previous owner... last year i employed the old owners son (before i knew how unhappy they were) much to my surprise while i was in the hospital getting a cancer check up that pile of crap was pissing in bushes, showing up high or hungover and doing a half ass job at which i did not find out until the start of the season because no one wanted to stress me or upset me while in the hospital.

Well in the end i lost a big commercial and 15 resi's which made it impossible to afford an employee.... so i figured i would do it all myself and up until this week everyone was happy but now with the rain and heat have cought up and overwhelmed me. this week i got a email from my biggest year around which said it was a highlight in their board meeting that they feel im not big enough to handle their job and they are concerned. then he starts nit picking (which he has never done) then asked for a proposal for the next season already.

i feel like doing this on my own may have caught up with me and may have lost me this big job.... what would you guys do to try and keep it knowing money is real tight
Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Honestly I wouldn't fight to try and keep them. Replace the one big one with several small ones that are easier to flex into your schedule somewhere for next year when it gets hot and rainy.

Just making a gut instinct call based on what you said without knowing your full story but it sounds like you need to put your health first. If you have a rough day and need to hang it up early its easier to move several accounts around to fill the rest of the week rather than one big one.

I would be honest with them and agree that its too much to handle now and decline to bid for next year. That way if you do have an employee again in the future and think you can handle it the door is open for you. You shoot them a crazy high price (someone will recommend it) or argue to try and keep it that door may well close forever.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is hiring a part time helper for the commercials out of the budget? Some college guys would be fine with just one good day of work. Then again once nitpicking starts its usually a downward slide.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTS View Post
Honestly I wouldn't fight to try and keep them. Replace the one big one with several small ones that are easier to flex into your schedule somewhere for next year when it gets hot and rainy.

Just making a gut instinct call based on what you said without knowing your full story but it sounds like you need to put your health first. If you have a rough day and need to hang it up early its easier to move several accounts around to fill the rest of the week rather than one big one.

I would be honest with them and agree that its too much to handle now and decline to bid for next year. That way if you do have an employee again in the future and think you can handle it the door is open for you. You shoot them a crazy high price (someone will recommend it) or argue to try and keep it that door may well close forever.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is correct.

I don't know why guys focus so much on "big" jobs, especially when they are solo.
I wouldn't sweat this, Keep them this season and work on replacing them deliberately with smaller ones knowing you won't be doing them next season.

ASk to schedule a meeting with the concerned members to address their issues personally and then ask them, pointedly if they thought they should loose their jobs if they had a brief health issue that hospitalized them, and what type of work a Temp in their job would do, during their medical leave?
Is this the type of work they are hoping to get? a big company who hires temps? Instead of having the CEO working directly on their project, they would RATHER have temps?
IF so, that's not the type of work you do.
Great, you've already replaced them, meeting over.

If they see things with you eye to eye, you've increased your work, in the attempt to replace ten enough, to warrant hiring a helper again.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post

I don't know why guys focus so much on "big" jobs, especially when they are solo.
I wouldn't sweat this, Keep them this season and work on replacing them deliberately with smaller ones knowing you won't be doing them next season.

ASk to schedule a meeting with the concerned members to address their issues personally and then ask them, pointedly if they thought they should loose their jobs if they had a brief health issue that hospitalized them, and what type of work a Temp in their job would do, during their medical leave?
Is this the type of work they are hoping to get? a big company who hires temps? Instead of having the CEO working directly on their project, they would RATHER have temps?
IF so, that's not the type of work you do.
Great, you've already replaced them, meeting over.

If they see things with you eye to eye, you've increased your work, in the attempt to replace ten enough, to warrant hiring a helper again.

This is the best thing you can do.

Though life's experiences has shown me that they have decided to dump you and the aforementioned strategy will not work. This is just the first step for them greasing the skids to push you out the door.

Though I still say it is the best shot you have at saving the account. Though the odds are steep against you.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Sponsor

Fall back, regroup, marshal all of your resources. If you believe you have done everything to remedy your current situation gradually rebuild with what you have and move forward. All the best.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Sponsor

hmm that is tricky. We had some similar problems when I stepped out with other guys doing the work etc. When buying a new business that first impression is crucial, especially with unhappy clientele from the previous owner. Could have been the saving angel!

Alrighty, to the current predicament.

If it is tough doing it yourself with the size of the operation, maybe downsizing will be a blessing in disguise. We made the mistake of hiring a few guys out of desperation and it hurt us in the long run. The first guy you hire is the most important. Take your time with that process. We downsized a bit and it really helped with breathing room and kept stress levels down after we could not find the right help. It sucked losing some but better for us overall. When you are ready to ramp back up you can.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys, i scheduled a meeting with the guy that has been throwing the fit for Monday ill let you know how it turns out.

i hired 2 guys to work one good day every week to take one of the stresses off me but now the stress of paying bills.... ohh well.

it sucks being so close to getting big then falling so far because of one pot head.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Sponsor

Fragile is the road to success.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 08-04-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Id work through it. Id go imeediately and do what ever it takes to make the big account look real good, even if it requires an investment of mulch, and a couple of laborors, on your part.

Then Id submit next years proposal with a short explanation of the lapse in quality.