Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2014, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ted, this time of year is not too late to kill broadleaf alone and wait until next year. Here the KBG will fill in by fall as long as we don't dry out. Next year setting the deck higher stops those grasses for the most part. On big jobs, heck for me even smalll ones I can't sell Quinclorac this time of year. It's $50/lb(covers an acre) and that is out of the question for the folks I work for. I'm not making any customers promises of perfection at this point. They only see dandylions in the Spring. They are happy to wait as long as it is some shade of green they are happy. Bare dirt would upset them more it seems.

OP?

edit- this year we are still in the high 70s so I added some more N to accounts last week. That is crazy for this time of year here. We're only talking UAN32 at 2 gal/acre but it really worked nice with 45 gal of water/acre and some 2,4-d for some scragglers. The last 2 I did haven't got rain(it was in the forecast) and after a week they look better too. Nice and green. Great year here so far.

Last edited by twomancrew; 08-01-2014 at 03:19 AM.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice job turning the ivy to toast. Was your goal only to take out broadleaf weeds and the ivy, leaving only some of the grasses behind, even if there is stuff like foxtail? Probably best for erosion control I suppose.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he was only concerned with the poison ivy. But he was fine with killing other vines & low growing woody plants. His plan is to eventually "clear out" the brushy areas and make it "people friendly". >>>> Remove the under growth and small trees. Keep the medium to large trees & prune them up. (the usual thing) But I wish he would buy a string trimmer.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Nice job turning the ivy to toast. Was your goal only to take out broadleaf weeds and the ivy, leaving only some of the grasses behind, even if there is stuff like foxtail? Probably best for erosion control I suppose.
Yes, he was only concerned with the poison ivy. But he was fine with killing other vines & low growing woody plants. His plan is to eventually "clear out" the brushy areas and make it "people friendly". >>>> Remove the under growth and small trees. Keep the medium to large trees & prune them up. (the usual thing) But I wish he would buy a string trimmer. [/QUOTE]

Give him some Tordon RTU and do yourself a favor
Old 08-03-2014, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

From my perspective, this is a tractor job all the way, I could do it with my ride on but the tractor would provide far more protection from both drift and the pest and a wider swath with each pass (boom). I would use my small tractor and my 25 gallon demco pto sprayer. Boom spray the open areas, turn a valve and get the high growth with the spray gun! Nice job you did there larry. I love those big spray gigs, wish we had one every week!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto with all the above. If this were my property, I would have killed out ALL the undergrowth at the same time. I know it's time consumng, but most homeoowners (that own an acreage) usually have the tools to mow the dead vegetation (after spraying) down. String trimmer, chain saw, loppers, hand pruners, etc. I did this on one of my own (2 acre) properties that was overgrown with poison ivy, multiflower rose, dogwoods, etc. Now it resembles a golf course. No more garter snakes and alot less mosquitos, chiggers, etc.