Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2014, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
We had two of those. And 2 front mount 74s.

That's all we used for 20 years. And a few walk behinds lol
Posted via Mobile Device
So from your experience can a 16' mower cut faster than a 5' mower?
Old 08-01-2014, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Only when they're both running.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
To a point. They lose the advantage when they get around trees and stuff. You don't seem them a lot any more because they won't stripe like a ztr. They are good for racetrack mowing lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a quick shot from an area I mowed to day with the ztr and it's next to a county park that gets the batwing Deere or sometimes when wet they hit it with a big front mount. Maybe they take the batwings off IDK how they work. Second picture is where it always almost scalps to the dirt. Can you see it? They mow 2x a week and they don't move that fast with it. They only make 2 passes next to that drive behind the brown signs and you can see it's a big area it mows.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
Quick question? I'm a solo operator and I know my limits about what I can possibly do in a weeks time and a days time when I'm maxed out for work. How as a big business can you take on something like this in the middle of the season unless you were looking to fill another day for a crew? How do you fit that in your schedule if you get it, I guess that's my question?
Well fitting it in this late in season I still can mow on Saturday and Sunday Most time I do landscape installs then

Not looking to fill a day I price it where I was gong make money or I wasn't going do it.

I do a lot for the owner already a Factory lawn that's 25 acres His banks he owns So its like you don't tell him no You price it to where he says no

Now if it was March he was asking My price might be little cheaper I wouldn't bid on some things
I already mow a lawn twice the size of this one
Old 08-01-2014, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aura Lawns View Post
What model Dixie choppers do you run?
Posted via Mobile Device
All Classic models all gas
Old 08-02-2014, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
It's still a residence. It's very hard to find people to pay that kind of money to cut a residence.
Posted via Mobile Device
No matter if it's a commercial or a residence, cost is cost, expense is expense. When will people get over this crap of looking at your pricing based on if its commercial or residential. Charge everything the same no matter what. That is the reason for the vast array of pricing in this industry. Yeah some numb nuts will do it for $1,000 just to say he's doing it, knowing he is losing money on every service. Wake up folks, people are playing us against each other. There is more business than any of us can do available. Charge for your work because they are not going to do it themselves. We are the ones that are stupid. We let the client dictate what we charge. If a person can afford property such as that, they can afford to have it cut. I'd say $1,800 to $2,000. It's worth every dollar you can get out of it.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper8870 View Post
No matter if it's a commercial or a residence, cost is cost, expense is expense. When will people get over this crap of looking at your pricing based on if its commercial or residential. Charge everything the same no matter what. That is the reason for the vast array of pricing in this industry. Yeah some numb nuts will do it for $1,000 just to say he's doing it, knowing he is losing money on every service. Wake up folks, people are playing us against each other. There is more business than any of us can do available. Charge for your work because they are not going to do it themselves. We are the ones that are stupid. We let the client dictate what we charge. If a person can afford property such as that, they can afford to have it cut. I'd say $1,800 to $2,000. It's worth every dollar you can get out of it.
That would be great if it actually worked that way, but it doesn't. If I bid on this id be around 1600. Which I knew most likely wouldn't get it

I do all commercial. I don't have any residential accounts. But that's not my point. Would you pay $8k a month to have your house cut?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2014, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper8870 View Post
I agree, but the reason many property owners are willing to pay more for their commercial properties is simple, it is a deductible business expense.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looking at that picture, the quote by good old Jed comes to mind, "It ain't much, but we call it home."