Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2014, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
Last year there was a good post on this subject about those using only small mowers and those thinking about switching to it. I was wondering how it was going for those already using small mowers and for those thinking about it did you change and if so how is it going this year? Last year we changed to using all 30 inch exmarks. It started off rough with tranny problems, but ended well. This year it's gone really well. Last year we switched to half acre and down lawns. We use to have lazer ztr's and hydro walk behinds. The change was really good for us. How is with the rest of you?
Its pluses outweigh the negatives. Knew the power wasn't there but wasn't prepared for it's abilities on slopes. It has it's place. Aside from the cables, motor, and trans, (just the important stuff) it's tuff. Have not found anything else right now in this size that will fill it's shoes.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

having issues with apostrophes today, have a lot on the mind.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Gardener View Post
Like Patriot said a Scag will last 15 years easy. I doubt your going to get that out of a 21 or 30.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I have several scags bit you probably pay 2 or 3 times the original value in dealer repairs in 10 years. Then you figure out is time to buy another one and you have to come up with 14 gran
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarabe1 View Post
I have several scags bit you probably pay 2 or 3 times the original value in dealer repairs in 10 years. Then you figure out is time to buy another one and you have to come up with 14 gran
Posted via Mobile Device
I would bet a kidney nobody has ever spent 42k on repairs to a Scag over 10 years. Nobody even makes a belt drive or even a hydro walkbehind for that matter that costs 14k. We are talking simple 32 or 36 beltdrive walk behinds here. Nothing fancier.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I would bet a kidney nobody has ever spent 42k on repairs to a Scag over 10 years. Nobody even makes a belt drive or even a hydro walkbehind for that matter that costs 14k. We are talking simple 32 or 36 beltdrive walk behinds here. Nothing fancier.
Posted via Mobile Device
+1
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

30"- cheaper fuel costs, easy repairs, fast on/off trailer, switch from mulch to bag while on the run(just put plug in bag) and when the lawn is obnoxious, pull out the 36. I'm running a 36 hydro and the exmark 30 and now use my 21 on only one lawn-total rip snorting set-up. A lot of my lawns are very bumpy so I don't run a sulky on the 36 which knocks the extra speed factor out of the equation

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 08-08-2014, 06:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Size VS Profitability

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSantor View Post
Last year there was a good post on this subject about those using only small mowers and those thinking about switching to it. I was wondering how it was going for those already using small mowers and for those thinking about it did you change and if so how is it going this year? Last year we changed to using all 30 inch exmarks. It started off rough with tranny problems, but ended well. This year it's gone really well. Last year we switched to half acre and down lawns. We use to have lazer ztr's and hydro walk behinds. The change was really good for us. How is with the rest of you?
Throwing my 2 cents worth in here. I have read all the post so far, and in my situation, we use 2 ZTR's (42" and 52") for the man bulk of lawns; .23 to 6.0 acres. We have 3 21" TRIM mowers, and commercial string trimmers.

That being said, our terrain is flat, all flat with the exception of a few minor slopes on ditch banks and such (<1%). With correct training, we are able to accomplish a very nice mow pattern on all these lawns. It seems, that 21" push trim mowers have a very short shelf life at minimum cost to operate. However, utilizing them as the main mowers distracts from the ultimate goal of profitability. That is the reason we are in business.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imow in NC View Post
Throwing my 2 cents worth in here. I have read all the post so far, and in my situation, we use 2 ZTR's (42" and 52") for the man bulk of lawns; .23 to 6.0 acres. We have 3 21" TRIM mowers, and commercial string trimmers.

That being said, our terrain is flat, all flat with the exception of a few minor slopes on ditch banks and such (<1%). With correct training, we are able to accomplish a very nice mow pattern on all these lawns. It seems, that 21" push trim mowers have a very short shelf life at minimum cost to operate. However, utilizing them as the main mowers distracts from the ultimate goal of profitability. That is the reason we are in business.
This is why everyone is so different on this forum. Your main bulk is .23 acres, the largest we do is .30 acres with push mowers. I know Wilmington really well, and there is no way a "push mower model" would work there.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I really don't understand why we get all these posts from people whose clientele/region don't allow for 21"/30" use. It is in no way helpful to the OP. We do very small "garden" lawns. Have a Exmark 36" hydro, Exmark 30", and Honda 21". By far most used is the 30", then the 21", and finally the 36". I have seen Jim Lewis post on here several times that on small, tight lawns a 32" hydro offers him no noticeable time benefit over his 21". I think his voice offers enough authority that if it doesn't make sense to you, it probably doesn't apply to the lawns you are cutting.

I would never weigh in on someone asking opinions on a 52" vs. 60" telling them that they are wasting money on a ztr when they could have a 30"- it's obvious that we service two COMPLETELY different types of properties. There is a strong market for these 21"/30" for us guys in urban neighborhoods. Please respect that we have spent the time to understand what best suites our needs, and allow US(owners of these mowers) to weigh in on strengths/weaknesses. We are who the OP is addressing.