Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What landscape design software do you use and why?

With the increase in doing landscape installs for clients I am wanting to get some kind of design software that enables the client to see what their property could look like. I personally have the mental idea and vision to know how it will look but many potential clients do not. As a result of this it is sometimes hard or impossible to sell jobs to them. What software do you use and why? I am not afraid to spend some money on it but do not want to spend an arm and a leg either.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Photo shop, We take pictures of their current landscape and use photo shop to create renders of what the finished result will look like.

44' Toro Prolline
36' Cub Cadet
Redmax EBZ 8000
Shindaiwa C2510
Tarps up the wazo
wheelbarrow
Mulch Shovel
Rakes ect

Wishlist: 2005 Silverado 2500 HD
BOSS 7'6" POWER-V STEEL BLADE
2Stage Snow Blower (I have to think of a loading system because these things are HEAVY)

~Entrepreneurship has provided me with a avenue to make money when corporate America hasn't.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've got pro landscape. The image editor is easy to use, but I have to say the graphics are pretty poor. Though, it gets the point across.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Viz terra...Hopefully....Here are a few screen shots. This design is nothing elaborate. As you can see by the cell phone pic, the landscape is vacant and she just wants something in place to put the house on the market
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Pro Landscape. I think it is great. Dynascape might be better, but it cost about 4X more and the last I heard Dynascape charged a monthly fee. Here is a Pro Landscape example:
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

AutoCAD + sales skills
Old 08-07-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://youtu.be/gMNBl5DOqKU
http://youtu.be/Sk6POLP8Uvo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAsp...7YXLnkORoRCq2w

Just learning the video part..
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Real time landscape architect have used for many years., lots of features and well priced
Old 08-08-2014, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is anybody able to post pics of their software projects so I can see what the software looks like ?
PS the OP asked about why...I use VizTerra because it's all 3D so you can do things like look out windows and doors to see what the project will look like from inside the house, there are other features like animations, dogs playing fetch, BBQ grills sizzling, fish swimming, birds hopping around water splashing , set slopes of the terrain, ect. You are able to move around your project in any direction. For me, a bit of a learning curve , in a couple of my shots with the cell phone pics, I had to draw the house which takes a bit of doing when your new. The tricky bump outs and gable roof "dormers" had me stumped a bit..but the house is a pretty close representation of the real one. BTW you don't buy Viz Terra or Pool Studio, you rent it by the month (95.00) and can cancel until you need it for your next project

Last edited by xtreem3d; 08-08-2014 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Develop your ability to describe what it will look like verbally. I make my living solely on designing landscapes in plan view with black line work on white paper - no photoshop, no perspective renderings, .... just by being very descriptive in my meetings so that they understand why I have put what I have on the plan.

When you get good at doing that, your prospects turn into customers who turn into clients.

Drawings and images do not set you apart. Showing people that you understand how your design is going to impact their landscape does. They don't have to see it or completely understand it as long as they have the confidence in you that you know what you are talking about. Then they want you.

Too many contractors try to sell the product instead of trying to sell themselves. They don't necessarily lose work because others do better work. They lose it because the others sell themselves instead of the product.