Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Short hedge trimmer for stihl Kombo? Why not?

Kind of a rant but i wish stihl made a shorter hedge trimmer attachment for the Kombi. Not the power scythe, I mean the shaft itself. That way I could use it in tight quarters or for lower bushes. Right now I have a poulan attachment I got from Walmart that works on the stihl but it is clearly not made to run at these rpms lol. Any chance we see one?
Old 08-07-2014, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Buy the hedge trimmer head and a shaft meant for a yard boss easy peasy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
Buy the hedge trimmer head and a shaft meant for a yard boss easy peasy
Posted via Mobile Device
Cool! Any idea what that shaft cost? I have never seen one

Ok I think I found it, I think you could unscrew the coupler so the Kombi would accept this. I have a need for the trimmer head too. Is this what you mean?

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/mul...achments/fsmm/

Last edited by 2 Cycle; 08-07-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yup that's the one but come to think of it the attaching end of the shaft won't go in the kombi engine shaft but maybe talk to your dealer....I know my buddy has a hedge trimmer head on an fs engine and the shaft is about 2/3 the length so there has to be a way to jimmy rig something up. With that yard boss head might be just take the attaching coupler off and done who knows. Either way I know a shorter shaft pole hedge trimmer is very possible as I have seen one good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All my tools are dedicated now so I turned my KM90 into a hedge trimmer by cutting the shaft on the existing attachment so that it's just long enough to seat. So far it's making for an AWESOME hedge trimmer. Very light.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok just text my buddy he bought a kombi hedge trimmer attachment and stuck it on a fs engine.....I have used it before very smart and light
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys! I am hopeful that yard boss shaft would fit. Since I don't have the trimmer attachment I can use the trimmer head from that and a spare shaft I have lying around. Then, hopefully I can stick a hedge trimmer on the smaller shaft and have a rip roaring small hedge trimmer. For reference, here is what I hope to achieve with the setup I currently have. I also have the standard stihl kombi hedge trimmer which is awesome but sometimes you have to get in tight corners or you simply don't want to deal with such a long hedge trimmer. This attachment was from a big box store for $60 and will fit and do the job. It gets hot as hades though, I can tell it is not meant to run this fast but it paid for itself instantly so no complaints. I simply want a similar stihl short unit
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yup that looks like it can handle those tight spots us ppl who only have pole trimmers hate doing I might have a look in Home Depot for one of those
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think the brand is Universal or something like that. It will cut most anything but I use it only when I absolutely need to. I use the km130 so maybe the km90 would be easier on it but who knows. The shaft will fit right in to the Kombi coupler but I cut up a coke can and made a small metal shim just so it fits snug. Maybe stihl is worried people people won't buy the standard hedge trimmers if they sell short shafts? I would love to buy one
Old 08-07-2014, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I haven't run with a normal hedge trimmer since I got my first pole trimmer. The shorter shaft thing might be a safety thing. A km engine with a shorter shaft might be close to balanced from the handle tempting ppl to one hand in here n there then one slip and you can only count to 9 type thing. Where as a regular hedge trimmers handles are placed so it's hard to one hand it. I doubt it is them being worried about regular trimmer sales as you'd still be buying their product. Who knows, that's why us jimmy riggers improvise but that's half the fun too
Posted via Mobile Device