Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Safety Eyewear for Glasses Wearers

Hi guys,
I wear prescription glasses when I mow and trim. They don't offer much protection because they are just normal everyday glasses. Lately I have been hearing about accidents involving debris getting shot into the operators eye while trimming or mowing. This leads me to believe that I should be wearing some type of safety glasses. I like the idea of prescription wrap around sun or safety glasses but they seem pretty expensive. I'm not crazy about goggles that would fit over my glasses because when I have tried them before they usually end up pulling my glasses off whenever I hit a bump or take a few steps. Also I usually look like some sort of crazy evil genius. My main question is, "what do you guys wear over or in place of your normal prescription glasses". Thanks a lot!
Yard-Man Push Mower
Stihl FS-90R
Stihl BR600
Stihl BG55
Cross Country 6x12 Landscape Trailer
Old 08-07-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't wear prescription glasses but I have tried several different types here in Florida. Cheap is just that. Being that I'm a big guy I like the wider or frames with a little flex in them. Dewalt makes a nice black rimmed set with clear lenses for about $12. My absolute favorite pair I use all the time are a solid plastic flex frame camp with amber lenses for about $12-$15. My daughter keeps trying to take mine when she works in our yard...lol. They fit superbly and the amber lenses allow great visibility in lower light and don't attract the heat the darker lenses seem to.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
I don't wear prescription glasses but I have tried several different types here in Florida. Cheap is just that. Being that I'm a big guy I like the wider or frames with a little flex in them. Dewalt makes a nice black rimmed set with clear lenses for about $12. My absolute favorite pair I use all the time are a solid plastic flex frame camp with amber lenses for about $12-$15. My daughter keeps trying to take mine when she works in our yard...lol. They fit superbly and the amber lenses allow great visibility in lower light and don't attract the heat the darker lenses seem to.
I wish I didn't have to wear prescription glasses. Then I could go and pick up any pair of safety glasses. I have seen some really nice looking ones at the local hardware store.
Yard-Man Push Mower
Stihl FS-90R
Stihl BR600
Stihl BG55
Cross Country 6x12 Landscape Trailer
Old 08-07-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Get contacts. They help best thing I ever did
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just FYI I used to work with a guy who had prescription glasses. He was line trimming and a rock flung up hit his glasses and the lense shattered into hundreds of peices. Very luck for him nothing got in his eye. That being said get contacts and wear safety glasses or spend the money on prescription safety glasses. Wearing regular glasses made of glass can be more dangerous then having nothing at all on
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to look into getting prescription safety glasses or contacts. Just out of curiosity how comfortable or uncomfortable are contacts and how easy are they to get used to. I have issues with just the thought of me stabbing my finger in my eye everyday to put them in and take them out so I'm not really sure if they're for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If contacts are not for you just look into the safety glasses....sure might be a bit expensive but your vision is priceless
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I'm currently looking into both options. Hopefully I can pick one soon after some researching.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budget Cuts Lawn Service View Post
Thanks guys. I'm going to look into getting prescription safety glasses or contacts. Just out of curiosity how comfortable or uncomfortable are contacts and how easy are they to get used to. I have issues with just the thought of me stabbing my finger in my eye everyday to put them in and take them out so I'm not really sure if they're for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
You get used to it. I can put them in without a mirror now. You wear them for a couple hours at a time when you first get them. But it makes life so much easier. You can always see better since the lense is on your eye instead of an inch away.

And you won't feel your finger touching your eye or anything. They kind of just slide on. I keep a bottle of solution in the truck for dry days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You get used to it. I can put them in without a mirror now. You wear them for a couple hours at a time when you first get them. But it makes life so much easier. You can always see better since the lense is on your eye instead of an inch away.

And you won't feel your finger touching your eye or anything. They kind of just slide on. I keep a bottle of solution in the truck for dry days.
Posted via Mobile Device
Interesting. I guess I'll do some research into the contacts. Maybe talk with a doctor about them. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
eyewear , glasses , safety , safety eyewear , safety glasses