Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2014, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Nice work. We dont have side dumps here, i got stuck on youtube watching videos for a half hour lol. How do they not smash up the wheels and get stuck under etc?
They rocks usually roll out and away, especially the 5, 6 and 7' rocks we get. The driver situates his truck and almost "jackknifes" it so he can pull out and away once he tips the load out. Very rarely do I have to move a rock that is stuck in the way.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I guess they always try and dump to the low side also. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
I just a razor blade and wax and grease remover. Took awhile

Sooooo... you want to come do the frame on my truck and I'll pretend I know how to set rocks for a wall?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I guess they always try and dump to the low side also. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
With dirt/clay it doesn't really matter. Boulders is more important so you don't damage the trailer or tractor. I had to unload one on Thursday with the DX85 because there simply wasn't room. He tipped it up enough so I could see what I was grabbing but not enough for the rocks to come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark13 View Post
Sooooo... you want to come do the frame on my truck and I'll pretend I know how to set rocks for a wall?
If you can build a wall you can stay too!

Here's a back yard from the past two days

about half way done

Demo'd this little guy

Not bad for building it from behind!

All done

I ended up using every last rock I had on site. Good estimating!

Old 08-09-2014, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We moved the DX235 to the next site yesterday morning. It's going to be interesting to say the least. 1700 sq ft wall 10' tall about 50-60 feet above finished houses and yards with a good 4 to 1 slope down to them. One rock lets go out of the grapple and its going down in someones living room. Going to sit on the slope below to give me a chance to catch a rock if it lets go. Might put a fresh set of teeth on for this one. Kicked around the idea of building a dirt berm but don't want to disturb the erosion prevention vegetation and mat on the slope either. We'll see

Last ones from the big wall from the last two weeks

Old 08-09-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before/After of that back yard

Opinions on the Kubota SVL75-2

Quite a bit of power for the machine size, I like the rollup door because you can get out with the arms raise part of the way up unlike my T770. The ISO controls are not as smooth as my T770. I can run the T770 with my finger tips. The joysticks aren't as comfortable but maybe its because I'm used to the Bobcat. In cab the Kubota is a good bit louder than the T770 but I usually have head phones in. Cab is huge but my knee hit the A/C stack on the left side. There wasn't a place for a radio when I looked.

I'm also used to the roller suspension on the Bobcat so the ride on the Kubota was a bit rougher going over curbs and just in general. Turning seemed a little harder for it too. Maybe because I had full buckets of sandy clay.

Not sure if I would buy one, I put about 4 hours on it, might try a T590 too. It would be nice to have a narrower machine to get into places like that back yard. I deal with going around dumpsters and siding constantly and the T770 is pretty big on sites like this.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
If you can build a wall you can stay too!
That might be asking a lot considering I've never used an excavator. I've been told I'm quite good in my ctl but that's a whole different animal. The only thing I know how to do is keep equipment clean, I hate dirty equipment due to being careless or lazy. Buddies were giving me crap about washing and waxing my ctl inside and out a few times so I had to go ahead and find a couple pictures of your equipment to show I'm not 100% looney about how stuff looks.

Edit. In your search for a small ctl if you have a Takeuchi dealer around go have a look. My TL230 has effortless controls (I usually run them with 2-3 fingers) and the drive motors on it are plenty strong. If I didn't care about track life, it would do donuts on pavement with a full bucket. The amount of things I can do with it at idle-1/4 throttle still surprises me. The cab's aren't full of fancy bling but they do the job and the TL cab's are nicer then mine. For a narrow footprint the smaller Tak machines are quite capable. Mine is 66" wide and runs a 78" bucket fine.

Last edited by Mark13; 08-09-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Work is top notch as usual. What tint do you use on the machines? Local place here wants $800 to tint my tractor, so I've decided to do it myself. I've tinted a few trucks and all the windows on my moms office, so I know the basics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2014, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Work is top notch as usual. What tint do you use on the machines? Local place here wants $800 to tint my tractor, so I've decided to do it myself. I've tinted a few trucks and all the windows on my moms office, so I know the basics.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man, I'm slowly catching up with the walls for this year.

I just call the guy that does the tint on my GMC trucks, he shows up at the shop and I tell him what I want. The excavators and bobcats were 200-250 each I don't remember exactly anymore. 800 bucks seems really steep

Don't remember which tint he uses but curved glass takes some skill to tint I wouldn't try that myself if your tractor has curved glass on it.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

800 is really steep. That's like ky jelly steep lol.
Posted via Mobile Device