Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-08-2014, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
blackberries are a thing of the past.

I have an s3 and note 2 that I swap back and forth between. Used to have iphones. Honestly its all personal preference. There are things the iphone did that the droid didnt do as well and vice versa.

I just purchased the Samsung Note3, and must say i absolutely love it. Huge 1080p screen, 25gb storage (without sd card). Stylist for jotting down quik notes, good video/picture quality. Battery life is surprisingly not as bad as i expected. A full charge lasts me all day, even with how much i twittle with my phone
Old 08-08-2014, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

apple products (imo) have a built in degrading feature, "I work awesome until my replacement model comes out, then i slowly get worse and worse until Im stuck to a charger and my OS locks up every other function"
Old 08-08-2014, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
apple products (imo) have a built in degrading feature, "I work awesome until my replacement model comes out, then i slowly get worse and worse until Im stuck to a charger and my OS locks up every other function"
My experience has been that this begins happening 2 3/4 years into the phones life which is always 90 days before the next release.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Much of it you can blame on the continuous "advances" in the software and apps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

I got the Droid Maxx for battery life, it's locked to Verizon but I like it a lot and it rarely dies on me during the day.
Exmark Viking 36"
Echo SRM-230, PAS-266, PB-770T
Old 08-08-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I were in the field, I'd probably go with the Note, due to the size allowing for easier use and flexibility. If not, the Google Nexus would be my easy choice. Best phone I've ever had.

If you like Android and are a Google Apps power user, it's a no-brainer. Pure Android, no carrier bloat, and instant OS updates (waiting months for Verizon and the like to destroy, I mean "modify" each Android update is, by far, the worst thing.) makes for a much better experience.

Plus, if you find a good, pay as you go plan, you can save a ridiculous amount of money over subsidized, contract phones. If my memory serves me, 2 year savings vs. the iPhone or Galaxy was around $1500ish.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2014, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just pulled up a spreadsheet I made a year or so ago. The $1,500 difference I referenced was for my better half's constant need for the latest, loaded iPhone. In fact, her's was closer to a $1,700 difference.

Here are the numbers for 2 year, subsidized, contract phones versus bring your own phone and select a pay as you go plan.

Editiorial: In the US, there's the hilarious connotation that monthly, pay as you go, is the choice for drug dealers, low income people, or those with trashed credit. In the rest of the world, they think our subsidized phone system is silly, financially wreckless, and underscores our love of going in to debt so we can try to afford shiny new toys (that's your cue, Larry! ). Europe and Asia must be full of drug dealers, poor folk, and those with trashed credit scores...

Phone: $200 up front for iphone/galaxy/whatever 16 gig phone
24 month plan contract: $2,280 ($95 month plan is an avg between the 2 and 4 gig monthly plans at AT&T)
===============
$2,480 2 year TCO

Phone: $350 for Google Nexus 5 16 gig, purchased directly from Google
24 months, no contract: $1,080 ($45 month Straight Talk Unlimited w/ 3gig LTE Data- Straight Talk is Walmart's AT&T network service.)
=======
$1,430 2 year TCO

Of note, T-Mobile has $50ish pay as you go plans. I tried it but their service coverage (their coverage maps do lie) was truly awful.

If you really like to save, you can further bring Straight Talk costs down by pre-buying larger chunks of months. 12 month prepay brings it down to $41.25/month

Since I switched, Straight Talk has been phenomenal...provided you don't need much in the way of customer service. Their call center folks get the job done, but it can be a tough communication road. Luckily, I only had to interact with them due to a slight porting issue.

Last edited by tonygreek; 08-08-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbw View Post
My experience has been that this begins happening 2 3/4 years into the phones life which is always 90 days before the next release.
Posted via Mobile Device
yea it's about that time…

Except that Im still using an original Iphone4. (NOT an S)

And. IT. just. Keeps. Getting. Worse!
Old 08-08-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to push our new partner, but I will toss in the opinion on the S5 Active Samsung is launching in September. It is contractor grade and is pretty sweet. They shipped us a few early to code our app for it. I will be switching the crews to it next year. It has this cool "blue button" feature. Which you can link any app on the system to the blue button on the side of the phone to launch it. So for contractors, you can link *cough, cough* Locqus to it (or others I suppose) and it will fire it up instantly.

Currently a huge case on my iphone seems to make it contractor grade lol.

Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 08-08-2014, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

S5 active been out
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
business phone , cell phone , communications , smartphone