Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-26-2014, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wes92395 View Post
Winter used to be worse than summer for me. When I was still in high school id get up at 2AM plow snow, go to school till 11AM (work release), then I had stupid little job at tractor supply for the winter that was 12pm - 9pm five days a week.... Now that I'm not in school and for the first time I financially don't need any little job throughout the winter it should be a lot easier and I'm looking forward to it. I actually really like snow plowing, I think I put more effort into growing it than I do mowing... I've been debating buying another bike and getting back into motocross for the winter by riding indoors.
Posted via Mobile Device
You guys with snow plowing for winter are very fortunate!!! We have nothing in winter to do in Georgia!
Old 07-26-2014, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah but you have peaches..
Old 07-29-2014, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperscrow View Post
You guys with snow plowing for winter are very fortunate!!! We have nothing in winter to do in Georgia!
Im east of Atlanta I make more money in the winter then summer with lawn care. pre emergents and lime is cheap. start spraying yards
Old 07-29-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Don't wish it on yourself... Snow plowing comes with its own set of issues just like anything else. If it wasn't for plowing I'd be driving rangers and small open trailers around for mowing instead of full size trucks.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

deer hunt in the stand every day from oct to xmas
Old 08-09-2014, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Plow, snowblow, shovel, and salt. I could easily pick up over 100k in plowing this winter if I wanted to. But winter is no joke especially if we get a winter like last year. So i'll probably be settling for around 50k in snow removal just to stay afloat until spring hits again. I know of a company here locally who is trying to go big in winter, and hibernate in summer. Basically the opposite of what a lot of others do. They have an unbelievable amount of snow removal equipment. They look geared up enough to do 500k in snow removal.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
your winters aren't very long, you have plenty of work during the season to save up for the short break from the work season.

Our landscaping season is 40% of the year, 50% is winter with 10% being WTF do i do season?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
Im east of Atlanta I make more money in the winter then summer with lawn care. pre emergents and lime is cheap. start spraying yards
How far east? I may do the same, but don't want to step on another guys toes.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefj View Post
How far east? I may do the same, but don't want to step on another guys toes.
you're not gonna step on my toes. ill be happy to help out any way i can. I'm in covington. but you are gonna have to open your wallet to get started
Old 08-10-2014, 05:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Everyone,
I found this forum by accident and so far have put to use information I found her about getting different blades for my Toro TimeMaster mower. I live in North Florida, have only been in business for 2 months, and am already looking ahead to what to do between November and February/March next year. Our growing seasons goes a few months longer than some of your, but still does not generate the same income as it does during growing season.
Put 29 years in the Navy and this is my first endeavour as a business owner since getting off the Active Duty payroll list and onto the Retired/Disabled payroll list.
Any of you from Florida, or the Southeast in general, willing to share some of your off-season money making ideas with me?
Appreciate anything legal, moral, and ethical that I can do while waiting for the season to start back up next Spring.

Thanks in Advance -- Bill