Old 08-02-2008, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Haggerty View Post
Sorry, I stand corrected.
Honest mistake David, no harm done .
Old 08-02-2008, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

All my handhelds are Stihls. I have 3 FS 90 right now.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Member

How Good is the Stihl FS 90

I have had my FS 90 for over 5 years and it starts on the first or second pull every time. I have cut tons of black berry bushes and even small trees up to 2" and it has Never failed. This weed eater is one of the best tools I have ever purchased. I keep the head greased which is the only maint I have done. I would buy another one today if this one blew up. I use it to edge my lawn as well. This is a 2 cycle machine and I always know when I need it I can count on it to get the job done. This is a straight shaft which means you cant put any of that other nonsense stuff on there like tillers or clippers or whatever else they put on the front of the combo's. This is strictly a weed whacker and trust me it does and awesome job of it.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I use my FS90 daily and it is a workhorse. Wouldn't trade it!!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dckoster View Post
.... I would buy another one today if this one blew up. ..... This is a 2 cycle machine and I always know when I need it I can count on it to get the job done. ....
I am not sure you can buy an FS90R these days. This unit was replaced in the lineup with FS94. I see FS90 still on the website, along with the FS94. In March 2014, I talked with my local dealer. He had a couple FS90R in stock. When they were sold, no more would be ordered. Any new inventory for sale in his store would be FS94. He would be selling no more new FS90 trimmers. This may vary from dealer to dealer, I don't know.

Just for the record, FS90 products are 4 cycle not 2 cycle. FS94 is a 2 cycle product.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You guys realize you revived a 6 year old thread, right?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowleak1 View Post
You guys realize you revived a 6 year old thread, right?
If he doesn't realize he absolutely CAN put "any of that other nonsense stuff on there like tillers or clippers or whatever else they put on the front of the combos", then I doubt he realizes that either.

Also, good god don't tell me they are discontinuing it. I'll have to go buy a third one and keep it in the box until I need it! The damned thing is like an extension of my arm after 5 years - I don't want to have to get used to a new arm.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The FS90 is being phased out over the next couple years, and since this one is mostly gone, next year will probably be the last for them. This is according to the Stihl tech rep we talked to this spring. The 110 and 130 will be around for a little while longer, though they too are scheduled for termination eventually.

Here all this time I have been using all the other nonsensical stuff on the front end of my 90R only to find out that the work I have done with it can't really be done. Bummer................
Old 08-12-2014, 12:33 AM
LawnSite Member

I bought a new FS90R last year and that thing is a beast. It's not as heavy compared to the FS110 or FS130 and can handle a brush blade. I use it for delicate trimming and edging as well as "bush hogging" with just the string trimmer in heavy grass and it handles it no problem. It starts easy and runs smooth and quiet compared to a lot of other trimmers. It also runs brush blade attachments no problem and smokes through heavy brush and small trees 1"-1.5" in diameter with the 4 blade brush cutter due to it's torque for a light trimmer. Running the Stihl synthetic fuel mix I can run all out for an hour trimming out the heavy grass along my back acreage before I have to fuel up again, my old Stihl couldn't do this. As Riding' Green said, they are phasing the trimmer out, but if your dealer has one in stock this would be a good trimmer to pick up if all you plan on doing is trimming or brush cutting and might be able to get a good deal on it.
Old 08-12-2014, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess they want to force people to spend the extra $100 to get the Kombi unit.

I like the idea of the new 94, but that trigger is a bad, bad, bad design and I'd snap it off in a week pulling it out of my truck bed.