Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Please provide me with your supply houses contact info. We're always looking for new distributors
Old 08-10-2014, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whiffyspark, is it safe to assume you are an electrician? Yes, many of the better cans are indeed over $50.00.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Bob he has 1000s of posts most about weedwackers.... Its not safe to assume anything
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledeez View Post
Bob he has 1000s of posts most about weedwackers.... Its not safe to assume anything
No, brother is. I hAve an account at our supply house. It's not safe to assume anything. I'm multi talented. Lol

A regular can is under $19. 13 something if I remember right. High quality swivel with trim is $27
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Its same to assume there is nothing high quality about a 27 dollar fixture with trim
Old 08-10-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to assume anything but Ledezz is right. $27.00 is not a high quality trim unless your supply house is dollar store. The reality is that the quality fixtures start at the $50.00 mark for most cans and the trims are somewhere right around them BUT there is a way for you to get similar trims for less.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would encourage the price shoppers to inquire as to the cost of a Contrast ISMR3000E35 or IT3000M or NW3000E35 housing and T3450D-06-02/SM Trim at their local distributors. Pretty sure I know of what I speak on these topics.

AND no, like most reputable, quality conscious manufacturers who invest in and support the industry, their products are not available directly to the consumer at nearly identical costs ad those that they ask their contractors to pay.

Same with Halo, Iris, Lucifer, Lightolier, Juno, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan B View Post
It's not a zero sum gain. There can be a shift in industries without it being an all or nothing choice (either all online or all through a distributor).

A lot of people trade stocks online but it did not eliminate the personal financial professional. They went from being a stock broker to being a financial planner, and that business is alive and well. E-Trade did not eliminate Morgan Stanley, Home Depot did not eliminate electrical distributors (nor electricians). Zappos did not eliminate shoe retailers, Bose did not eliminate stereo stores, Tesla will not eliminate car companies nor car dealerships by selling direct.

In many of these cases the efficiency increased the overall market size of the industry and brought the service to more people.

And by the way you can buy a recessed can for $19 at Home Depot but my electrician still can charge me $1500 to put 10 of them in my kitchen ceiling. I can buy a Japanese maple at home depot garden center for $39 but I still am paying a landscaper $50,000 to re landscape my entire yard.

By providing higher quality lights than people are used to for $39-$69 we are significantly elevating the quality of fixtures that most contractors and homeowners are using (no not all-- some great contractors like ABC In Canada only use the best!).* By saving (other) contractors 50%+ on their supplies we are enabling them to make more money per job and enabling them to close more sales and increasing their business. If you don't like it, no problem don't buy from us.

Overall we are helping contractors, consumers and the industry. Yes it is quite possible ABC Canadian Contractor who charges $350 - $400 per light to their multimillionaire Canadian lake front customers may be upset, but tens of thousands of contractors are being helped and happy about it.

P.S. You should learn the definition of "Race to the Bottom."* A race to the bottom is when quality or services are cut in order to lower a price. When quality is elevated by eliminating inefficiencies, that is called an improvement. Better quality brass fixtures due to increased productivity of the manufacturer is a positive thing. In fact increased productivity is the #1 reason we have a continued increase in the standard of living.
Very well said..... Thank you! I couldn't agree more.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Even though I had hoped for a better experience this time, I'm about to disappear from this site again for the same reasons I left the last time... But, for now, I'm still here so I would like to ask this question: Some of you guys/gals don't seem to understand the fundamental rule of "supply and demand" nor do you understand the concept of competition among businesses as it relates to pricing. When someone comes along that is willing to provide a better product at a lower price, I tend to believe that he is on a mission with the understanding that volume sales is a much better way to gain market share rather than "hype" or misleading statements regarding quality. Lighting manufacturers have been getting away with charging outrageous prices for materials for far too long... Even at your wholesale prices, does it really make sense to you that a brass fixture that is no bigger than the palm of your hand should have a MSRP of $225 to $350? Seriously!!! Think about that!!! Also, are you going to get mad and pitch a childish fit because bulb companies sell to consumers other than LV lighting guys?" Maybe bulb companies should obey your rule of exclusivity as well? Certainly, their not doing so would hurt the industry as a whole, wouldn't it?........... Simply pathetic and I'm really sick of the cry babies. I'm starting to understand this completely, and my conclusion is that the people who make the most noise about this subject are the ones who understand that their talents simply aren't enough to demand the ridiculous prices that they have been able to snowball people with in times past. When any potential client has the ability to confront them on their prices, I honestly believe that they simply don't have the nads to look them in the eye and say: "yes, the cost of materials is only 20% of the proposal..... the other 80% is because I think I'm a God of lighting." Give me a break!
And Solecki, would you please just shut up? You really make it harder to enjoy the other contributor's point of view..... Thanks..... I did say please by the way.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledeez View Post
Actually he has a lot of useful info about many varied topics...