Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2014, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Wright is the king of the stander market. Period.

Matt
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-29-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We use an Exmark Vantage, 52" (stander) on all our residential properties. Average lot size is 12K before improvements. About 90 do not have gates; two man crew; in 4 days.

We can also use a Z, Toro on these lots as well. Z is obviously faster; but typically doesn't make the job much quicker than the Exmark; at most 30-45 seconds; but time does count.

The exmark stripes well; but I would not purchase another one; at least not with the ECS controls. I've heard great things about Wright; but dealer support is why we went with Exmark.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am using one, after using a 36' metro wb.
I like everything about it except for the fact it tears things up a little sometimes. but I am getting better at that.
My lawns (not lot size) range from about 3,000 sq ft to 8,000 sq ft. Maybe even less.
It cant handle hills very well unless going up or down. So you can go sideways that well, but up and down is fine.
It can turn in small spaces very well since it is a lot shorter than a WB. Overall its good. I have the 36" wright stander sport, so it has a seat too.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 06-29-2014, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just not sure small standers are the best way to go. There are lots of posts mentioning poor hillside stability, issues with turf tearing, etc. The larger ones seem to do better. If the lawns are mostly level they would probably be fine.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I use my 48 inch stander on every yard possible. I also have a 32 inch walk behind to get into the small gates. Ive considered getting rid of the small mower and only mowing yards with the bigger gates. Makes the day go MUCH faster and more profitable.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
People don't realize how good the stand on mowers are. They are lighter smaller and more maneuverable, unless you are riding the mower for over an hour a stander is the ticket. I will never buy another rider.

My Ferris 3100 is down right now with a drive motor.My mower is a 61" .My son has a 52" toro grandstand.One property I mow requires me to use my 21" and the 61" because of steep hills and a gully.Was taking me about 1 hr & 40 minutes.My son was able to do the same area in 1 hr flat.On the steep areas he just got off the stander and walked behind it.In the gully the 52" was just small enough he was able to mow one side and then the other.
After seeing this I am sold on the standers.Is toro the only one that allows you to walk behind it or do the other brands allow it also.I would really like to demo a 36 or 40 stander on my entire route to see how I make out.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
.Is toro the only one that allows you to walk behind it or do the other brands allow it also.I would really like to demo a 36 or 40 stander on my entire route to see how I make out.

Scag has a flip up platform on their new recent year models. I forget which year they added that, but it was recent. Exmark's platform flips up too, makes sense since Emark and Toro seem to be the same company these days with different logos.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Using standers I can cut, trim, and bag 44 lawns (0.2A-0.3A) per day (14h) as a solo. They work.

For small city lots (0.2A-0.5A) they are the only option IMO but you have have HAVE to get 36" or smaller otherwise it defeats the purpose of being efficient on small lots and getting in back gates. I use GrandStand 36's and the flip up platform can be a pain in the ass but they work. I think the Wright 36 would be better as it's more compact, but both are good choices. If you get the Wright make sure it's Rapid Height as many are fixed. I cut anywhere from 1.75 inches to 4 inches at customers request. RH is a must.

The numbers:

Total yards: 46. (Only 2 are over 0.4A)
# I use Stander for Front AND back: 18 (39%)
# I use Stander for Front ONLY (push back): 13 (28%)
# I have to push front and back: 15 (33%)

The most common distraction with standers is "standing is worse than riding, so I'd rather get a rider". If they made a reliable 36" rider then I would side with these viewpoints. However, they don't, so the more important point is that standing is WAY better and faster than WALKING.

For example, my list with a typical rider (46" to 54") would go from 33% walking to 72% walking which is a HUGE increase in fatigue and time. My stander cuts at 8mph and is almost twice the width of a push mower, so a person can walk as fast as they want but they haven't got a hope in hell at keeping up. I've pulled up to yards of equal size that 3 workers had already started cutting and I have hopped out, cut/trim/bagged, and pulled away by myself before they finished.

If your lot list contains a lot (50%+) of half acre and up properties I wouldn't recommend a stander however a 36 will do 3A no problem. It's just better as a one off as the sweet spot is 0.2A-0.5A.

TPendagast raised another point about knowing you have too big of a mower if you can't change the pattern. You can always change the pattern. Even offsetting the wheel marks will prevent ruts when using the same pattern. Not an issue IMO. The bigger issue would be if unloading the stander takes more time than zipping out the push mower (or trimmer for that matter) on a tiny yard.

Sorry for the novel but these things work and rarely anyone realizes it.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

44 lawns per day? that is awesome! they must be on the same street right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodaggin View Post
Using standers I can cut, trim, and bag 44 lawns (0.2A-0.3A) per day (14h) as a solo. They work.

For small city lots (0.2A-0.5A) they are the only option IMO but you have have HAVE to get 36" or smaller otherwise it defeats the purpose of being efficient on small lots and getting in back gates. I use GrandStand 36's and the flip up platform can be a pain in the ass but they work. I think the Wright 36 would be better as it's more compact, but both are good choices. If you get the Wright make sure it's Rapid Height as many are fixed. I cut anywhere from 1.75 inches to 4 inches at customers request. RH is a must.

The numbers:

Total yards: 46. (Only 2 are over 0.4A)
# I use Stander for Front AND back: 18 (39%)
# I use Stander for Front ONLY (push back): 13 (28%)
# I have to push front and back: 15 (33%)

The most common distraction with standers is "standing is worse than riding, so I'd rather get a rider". If they made a reliable 36" rider then I would side with these viewpoints. However, they don't, so the more important point is that standing is WAY better and faster than WALKING.

For example, my list with a typical rider (46" to 54") would go from 33% walking to 72% walking which is a HUGE increase in fatigue and time. My stander cuts at 8mph and is almost twice the width of a push mower, so a person can walk as fast as they want but they haven't got a hope in hell at keeping up. I've pulled up to yards of equal size that 3 workers had already started cutting and I have hopped out, cut/trim/bagged, and pulled away by myself before they finished.

If your lot list contains a lot (50%+) of half acre and up properties I wouldn't recommend a stander however a 36 will do 3A no problem. It's just better as a one off as the sweet spot is 0.2A-0.5A.

TPendagast raised another point about knowing you have too big of a mower if you can't change the pattern. You can always change the pattern. Even offsetting the wheel marks will prevent ruts when using the same pattern. Not an issue IMO. The bigger issue would be if unloading the stander takes more time than zipping out the push mower (or trimmer for that matter) on a tiny yard.

Sorry for the novel but these things work and rarely anyone realizes it.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 08-12-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Member

i got a 52 gravely prostance. great on small residential yards, I get fatigued on big yards over 15k. I don't have any gates the 52 will not fit in, but have to use a the wb on steep stuff.
scag 1648 belt drive wb
stihl 94
stihl 90s
Kawasaki 27b
stihl 600 bb
stihl 101 pole saw
echo chainsaw

dodge 4x4 1500 quad cab.
6x14 hustler trailer
john deere 650 utility tractor.