Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2014, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Beautiful trailer either way. Aluminum floor as well?
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes and pallet fork holders on both sides.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow that thing is gorgeous. Congrats jared
Old 07-25-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There nice. Yours looks great. Know another guy in my area that has one strictly for that fact, extra trailer, extra machine here or there and no or little upkeep!
Old 07-26-2014, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Always loved this thread. I have a question though, how long do you plan on keeping the 287D's? There is no question Cat went cheap with the construction of the boom arms under the guise of "better visibility" I wanted to try a new machine from them but now I saw them and thought the arms were a joke. No way would those hold up to severe use. Lift and carry maybe.

Also with the technology some machines have now it's just a novelty that clutters progress I think. You're telling me each operator spends an hour setting a machine up to his preferences makes it that much more productive? Maybe in a business where moving material efficiently is the object but carrying a few pallets and then the machine sits for hours and hours a day? To me it sounds like way too many people are buying into hype. On the other hand operator comfort is huge. A comfy non taxing cab and controls is huge. All these little gadgets Cat puts on seems like a bunch of nonsense. But that also depends on the machine use. People like their gadgets I guess.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how long we will have them, I would guess awhile. We we're some of the first in the area to have the new D series. We haven't really had any issues with them as of yet, and I know we lift some pretty heavy pallets of materials and use them pretty hard.

I do agree there are a lot more whistles and bells on there with preferences than you probably need to learn, or don't have time to learn. If you are a one owner / operator that spends 1000's of hours in them a year then yes that is a huge plus. However, there is a lot of operator comfort items that are very nice. They've come a long way since our two other 2006's that we own.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 07-27-2014, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
I don't know how long we will have them, I would guess awhile. We we're some of the first in the area to have the new D series. We haven't really had any issues with them as of yet, and I know we lift some pretty heavy pallets of materials and use them pretty hard.

I do agree there are a lot more whistles and bells on there with preferences than you probably need to learn, or don't have time to learn. If you are a one owner / operator that spends 1000's of hours in them a year then yes that is a huge plus. However, there is a lot of operator comfort items that are very nice. They've come a long way since our two other 2006's that we own.
I agree with you, a lot of it is the application the machine is used for. I spend 8-12 hours a day in our machines so comfort is huge. I can see if you have to keep an eye on your machines because you're not there first hand is a huge plus. Our new Doosan machines have the GPS/start and service interval tech but I haven't used it yet. I think that would be more beneficial to a company that has a huge fleet to maintain. Our Doosan DX85 had its first service and the guy said we are among the top 10% as far as machine use goes and I didn't think we even used it that much. Knowing things like that are interesting but don't do much for bottom line. And as for right now buying new makes a lot more sense with how high used machine prices are. There are many driving forces behind that though; tier 3, the oil fields out in North Dakota. At least here in Minnesota.

Must be different out by you, there are D-series CTLs and MTLs everywhere around here. Seems like everyone traded in their C series machines for them.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tip 7368

We are about to embark on a fall project of a new home. Make sure, if you are doing any patio work, walls, etc up against the foundation you backfill with clean stone. This project will probably take 300 tons but it is worth every dime and you will get solid compaction. You cannot run a large compactor up against the foundation to compact fill dirt. As you dump clean stone in it auto compacts.

We will remove the pipe and go down to virgin soils before backfilling. Our crew will be here the remainder of the year.

Whenever possible I take my project managers/foreman out to see these jobs before the final round of estimating just to put a second set of eyes on it. After all they are the ones building these things, why wouldn't you value their opinion. It's invaluable.
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 08-13-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some impressive stuff. I can't believe this thread is still going strong after 12 years.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 08-13-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
We are about to embark on a fall project of a new home. Make sure, if you are doing any patio work, walls, etc up against the foundation you backfill with clean stone. This project will probably take 300 tons but it is worth every dime and you will get solid compaction. You cannot run a large compactor up against the foundation to compact fill dirt. As you dump clean stone in it auto compacts.

We will remove the pipe and go down to virgin soils before backfilling. Our crew will be here the remainder of the year.

Whenever possible I take my project managers/foreman out to see these jobs before the final round of estimating just to put a second set of eyes on it. After all they are the ones building these things, why wouldn't you value their opinion. It's invaluable.
Are you guys building that home, or doing the escavation work? Any new job pictures you can share, love to see the work you guys are doing?
Old 08-20-2014, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We don't build homes, just do the outdoors. We are overseeing the builders excavation to make sure everything meets our standards and there is no chance of any recalls.

Here's a sneak peak of a project we have going on. We are about to embark on another that calls for 114 skids of Techo-Bloc Aberdeen that will be pretty cool. That one probably won't be completed until next spring.
Attached Images