Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-17-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Noise Cancelling Headphones

I'm retired and have a large lawn & summer camping area to maintain. I always wear headphone type hearing protection. I'm thinking of some Bose Niose Cancelling Headphones and maybe an I-pod. I have no experience with either and I would appreciate any opinions on both hearing protection and sound performance. Do the Bose Headphones allow you to hear quality low volume sound while operating a lawn mower? Do you have to crank up the volume of the music at the cost of hearing protection?

I'd also appreciate any information on quality headphone or I-Pod options.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey, I'm also from New York. I like 3m work tunes. You can find them at your local lowes or home depot. They seem to be of decent quality as I have had them for about a year and they are still going strong. You can tune radio stations from them and there is also an auxiliary port for an MP3 player or iPod. They are comfortable for me and they have great hearing protection since they are normal earmuffs with speakers inside each ear. Last time I checked they were going for about $50-60 so they were pretty affordable.
Hope this helps and have a nice day!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use an iPod while mowing. I just buy the cheap earbuds with the rubber things. $10-15 and work fine. If the iPod battery dies I still keep them in for hearing protection.
I break 1 to 2 pairs a year so I like them cheap.
Attached Images

And still not rich

Old 08-13-2014, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought the Bose Qc-15 a few years ago and while expensive, they were one of the best purchases I've ever made. Kills the worst noise of the mower, you don't have to blast the music. I use a Ipod Nano; it weighs next to nothing. The cord that comes with the Bose has the 3 button controls for Ipods so you can change the volume, pause, jump ahead or back a track, etc.. The Ipod Nano even has a built in FM radio function so you can listen to FM if you want.

A single AAA battery in the Bose lasts for about 20-30 hours of use; I bought rechargables. The Ipod nano has a built in rechargeable battery and it lasts even longer.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Noise cancelling headphones are not hearing protection. The way they work is high frequency ambient noise is filtered out the same way they are with ear plugs( a physical barrier) low frequency ambient noise goes unnoticed by your ears because the headphones constantly pump a low frequency tone into your ears so it seems like ambient noise is decreased substantially but it isn't actually. The noise from your equipments engines will still cause just about the same hearing damage with noise cancelling headphones on vs nothing at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Been using these for about two years now. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-tone-...0pro&cp=1&lp=1
Old 08-14-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
Noise cancelling headphones are not hearing protection. The way they work is high frequency ambient noise is filtered out the same way they are with ear plugs( a physical barrier) low frequency ambient noise goes unnoticed by your ears because the headphones constantly pump a low frequency tone into your ears so it seems like ambient noise is decreased substantially but it isn't actually. The noise from your equipments engines will still cause just about the same hearing damage with noise cancelling headphones on vs nothing at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is very true. If you want hearing protection use plug's AND over the ear shooter's muff's. You don't want to damage your ear's, you can't get that back. My dad walk's around with two hearing aid's and it's slowly getting worse, one day he will be completely deaf. It's not something you want to do half-ass, a mower engine is bad new's for your eardrum's.