Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-10-2014, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry JK, I was on mobile and the picture wasn't there and and didn't read who posted that reply until after and it wouldnt let me edit the comment.

Hard to tell what is causing that. The lines are a little different in each of the stripes but I guess I'd say go take the mower, park it lined up in the stripe as if you were mowing, get off the mower and see what on the mower is in line with the color variation.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like anti scalp roller to me. They don't look all that bad in all. The replied response with stripes. Those are garbage stripes. I would have you leave my property immediately if that's the final product. Maybe you're clients like that. Mine wouldn't stand for those. I'd rather leave none than those.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey OP, next time you mow go over it twice. Follow your marks and give it a real fast second over. It will help. Sharp blades, deck pitch, and follow last times tracks. Get a good stripe after 2 or 3 weeks and then go the other direction. Have fun. Think about the center blade and how one side it travels forward and the other side of the spindle it travels backward. That throws a stripe off if pitch aint set just so.

Herler is right. It ain't rocket science, most homeowners can't and aren't equipped. Putting a striping kit on the mower is only step one in a long process. At least the first time.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2014, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We can rule out the scalp wheels because the center stripe goes against the direction of travel.
I believe what you're seeing is the result of deck level - the center blade is pushing the grass tips forward on the left hand side of the center spindle and backward on the right. Check for 1/4 inch pitch to the front and it should minimize the effect. High lift blades and high bts will also minimize it as the suction generated will pull the tips up and forward as the back of the deck passes over.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Well I'm going to go out on a limb here and risk verbal abuse when I say that maybe it could be you just don't know what the hell you're doing.

That having been said I would go read up on the tactic, how it's done, there's articles describe it in detail, google is your friend here.
After that it boils down to practice...

I mean I cut grass most every single day except Sunday.
I've been drawing stripes for...
6 years?
7?

Who knows, but what I do know is they don't just appear as if by magic, it took a lot of tweaking and twiddling before they started to come out good.
I'm talking 3-4 years at a minimum before they start to look like someone photoshopped them, for me.
But it got better all along the way, so even after some months they started to look half way...

You have to understand, too...
The picture below is taken from JUST the right angle, standing with the sun almost right behind me.
Because once you get the CONTRAST going, the extra lines matter less.
A lot of it boils down to light and where the sun is, like I said read up on it.
He knows what he's doing - the stripes are correctly laid
Old 08-15-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The more I think about it the more I think it could be lack of suction. Is this lawn the only one that gets the reverse flow lines? Is it the only one that strongly shows stripes? Maybe the tip speed is down for some reason or there is some strategically placed buildup under the to deck that's killing suction in the center.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i guess i don't get it…to me it's obviously the tailwheels of a sit down ztr, like a walker…even tho the wheels would push the grass down in the same direction that the mower is going, the deck will only lay the grass over so far whereas the tail wheels will push the grass down even further (more force). as a result, you are seeing two different angles, yet in the same direction.