Register free!

Old 07-16-2014, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tall fescue/Thermal bluegrass summer germination test

I had a spot where firewood was dumped last year. We burned it all up over winter and only thing left this spring was a layer of junk wood. I finally got around to cleaning it up and seeding the spot on 7/11/14 last friday. After cleaning the spot up I put down a layer of seed then used a garden weasel to loosen the very top of the soil. This turns over the seed so that it is just under the top layer of soil. After that I applied another fine layer of seed on top. I have watered it 3 times a day just enough to keep the soil steadily moist.

It is now 7/16/2014 5 days later and I already have good germination. Simply incredible for the dead of summer. It has been in the lower to upper 90's from the day I did the seeding. No fertilizer has been applied since April when I did the spring fert and dimension app. I made sure not to get any dimension in this spot obviously.

Here is the seed mix I used

I am only posting this to show just how fast fescue can germinate even at the absolute wrong time of the year. I do have to admit my soil here is the best soil I have ever seen before. I have a sneaking feeling this neighborhood may have been farm land at some time. I am sure none of the thermal bluegrass has started to germinate yet. From my understanding it is very much like regular kentucky bluegrass and takes 14 to 21 days to germinate.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im doing some overseeding tomorrow as well, client promised to water daily so lets hope it goes well
Old 08-14-2014, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interesting. Is the area around it (existing lawn) this same mix or will it be a close enough match? I need to try a bag of TTTF somewhere this Fall. You and americanlawn have both shown good results with it. I know of a practice football field that would probably welcome a seed trial. Thanks for posting this!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Interesting. Is the area around it (existing lawn) this same mix or will it be a close enough match? I need to try a bag of TTTF somewhere this Fall. You and americanlawn have both shown good results with it. I know of a practice football field that would probably welcome a seed trial. Thanks for posting this!

The turf around it has had this mix introduced the last 2 falls. We bought this house 3 years ago and the last 2 years I have aerated, seeded and fertilized it with this mix and it has blended in perfectly. I have fixed a couple other smaller bare spots with this mix and you cant tell the difference where I fixed it compared to the rest of the lawn. I will get a picture of the new grass tomorrow. I just cut it for the first time yesterday when I cut my lawn. I think I pay about $80 per 50lb bag of this blend. I have been really tickled with it so far. It even seems to do reasonably well in shady areas if you keep the cutting height tall. I think I read that the thermal blue is pretty shade tolerant but I would have to try and find that info again to be sure I am not full of crap
2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 08-14-2014, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sweet, Prostreet. Clearly high soil temperatures helped you out--along with plenty of water(3 per day). It sounds like you were satisfied with the Garden Weasel for soil prep, also.
Three cheers for the mix from Newsome seed.
Was starter fert included? Will Drive be needed?
Are you late enough to avoid summer weeds and crabgrass? July 11 isn't really a fall seeding, right?

What does it look like in late August?

Last edited by RigglePLC; 08-14-2014 at 11:06 PM. Reason: ps
Old 08-15-2014, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Sweet, Prostreet. Clearly high soil temperatures helped you out--along with plenty of water(3 per day). It sounds like you were satisfied with the Garden Weasel for soil prep, also.
Three cheers for the mix from Newsome seed.
Was starter fert included? Will Drive be needed?
Are you late enough to avoid summer weeds and crabgrass? July 11 isn't really a fall seeding, right?

What does it look like in late August?

I put down a little cheap quick release 10-10-10 after it started to germinate. A few weeds came up along with the new grass. I will let it mature a couple more weeks and then spot spray them. You will notice the crabgrass close to the camera. That is next to the driveway and I stayed away from this area to avoid getting dimension in the area I knew I wanted to repair. July 11 is the dead of summer around here. We normally do our fall aeration and seeding in late september and october.

2004 Gravely 34Z
Old 08-15-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That is a good looking stand of grass and a good patch. Looks like it will blend fine once you do your thing.