Register free!

Old 07-09-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Everyone's situation is different. I will have to disagree with DVS on this one, our enclosed trailer is essential to our business, screw loading tools in trucks for every job he says it only takes 8 minutes a day before work, multiple that times 200 per year and that's a significant amount of time plus my guys don't have to drive to the yard to get tools and then to the job site that could be over an hour of time spent in our service area. We go right to job sites and get to work. Most of the big nationwide landscape outfits in this area Brickman, Valleycrest, etc use tool trailers and they aren't on the top grossing companies list year after year by making stupid decisions.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This scenario, an old Verizon bucket truck, 108,000 miles, fleet maintained. Bought for less than $2,200.00 at auction. The 454 runs strong, trans is tight, and steering is tight. This is far more intelligent than an enclosed trailer and having to have multiple trucks onsite or have to make multiple trips with one truck.

Look at the size of the door at the front. That compartment - goes all the way to the other side! So basically it's around 8' deep (I never measured). You can store all the hand tools in there. Or you can store a gas powered table saw and even a plate compactor in there.

The advantage is everything can fit on this utility body.....and you can pull the equipment trailer to the site all in one shot. Go another step and get a heavy dump trailer and you can put the skid steer in the dump trailer and make the initial appearance for the start of a new project all in one shot with one vehicle.
Attached Images

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 08-15-2014 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thats a cool truck and i like the idea, but we all slice it a different way. That truck doesnt dump. So now when you need a half yard of sand you need to shovel it out? No thanks. Skid steer in a dump trailer? PITA to chain down and load with those ramps. I like my equip trailer better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Thats a cool truck and i like the idea, but we all slice it a different way. That truck doesnt dump. So now when you need a half yard of sand you need to shovel it out? No thanks. Skid steer in a dump trailer? PITA to chain down and load with those ramps. I like my equip trailer better.
Posted via Mobile Device
RJ - it's way smarter than an enclosed trailer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

To you it is. I just see a 20 year old truck that i have to maintain, with a low payload, and limited functionality
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That is a neat truck for that purpose but I personally can't own a company vehicle that doesn't serve multiple purposes like dumping, snow etc.. My main business isn't hardscape at this point so I wouldn't want to pay inspection, plates, person prop tax, insurance on a dedicated vehicle like that at this point in time. An enclosed trailer allows me a cheap way to store and transport tools and a dingo w/ attachments. If I had to leave a jobsite the trailer could remain with all tools readily available
Old 08-15-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PS I 'd say it looks like you did pretty well for 2200.00
Old 08-15-2014, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're not mechanically inclined - then maintenance is an issue. Be it new. Or used.

If you're mechanically inclined - then maintenance is the least of your worries.

You can buy a new truck with a utility body. It's much smarter than pulling an enclosed trailer. Fire companies nearly all have utility trucks. They don't tote trailers around to the fires

Landscape guys are so focused on trailer this trailer that. Walk behind this walk behind that. New power stroke this new power stroke that. That they get away from reality of the numbers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2014, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
A half a yard of sand isn't much how does it get into your wheel barrel to go where it needs to go. I've seen dump inserts in utility bodies. A one yard truck seems to have limited function it only holds a yard and they want a gvw tag on it. A job box on a tri axle trailer is the way to go. You can fit all your gear in a 4 X 8 X 8 box and have 2 pallets of brick and a skid on a 24' deck over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkr02 View Post
A half a yard of sand isn't much how does it get into your wheel barrel to go where it needs to go. I've seen dump inserts in utility bodies. A one yard truck seems to have limited function it only holds a yard and they want a gvw tag on it. A job box on a tri axle trailer is the way to go. You can fit all your gear in a 4 X 8 X 8 box and have 2 pallets of brick and a skid on a 24' deck over.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have used my deck over on a few jobs but you still have table saws, block splitters , couple compactors that need to be tied down..it just wasn't for me....I prefer the enclosed trailer. we do use a jobox that we fork off and leave at the site so we don't have to carry the essential stuff back to the trailer at the end of the day if it's a long way from work zone,
Steve