Register free!

Old 08-06-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Ground Logic Rover calibration.

So we'll hopefully ordering a Rover asap and I'd like some idea of how to calibrate so I'll be ready when it is delivered. Seems like I've read some on here about it but I don't have time to dig through hundreds of posts trying to find the one I need. Since I'm the tech who'll be using it the majority of the time all maintenance, calibration, etc. will be my job. After pestering the boss man for a couple years to get a ride on I don't want to screw things up and have him regret buying it.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need a big lawn. Determine the number of sqft the bag is supposed to cover. Guess at the proper opening number. THEN--put in a whole bag--apply it and measure the exact number of sqft you covered. Say a you covered 12,500 sqft. Using 50 pounds that is 4 pounds per thousand sqft. Adjust; repeat, until consistent.
If you have bathroom scales then maybe you can weigh out 25 pounds. Calculate the coverage for half a bag. Its quicker.

Also, you can mount a kitchen timer on the spreader. Suppose you cover 3000 sqft per minute. And you want to cover 12,500 sqft with 50 pounds. Then a 50 pound bag should last 4.16 minutes. (Four minutes and ten seconds). Set the timer--when it goes "ding"--the spreader should be empty.
Or maybe the stopwatch function should equal 4 minutes and ten seconds.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 08-06-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: ps
Old 08-08-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you recommend the 120# or 220# hopper? For the majority of our accounts the 120# would be fine but the 220# would be nice on anything over 25ksqft. We do have a few residential lawns over 100ksqft and several sports fields with the possibility of adding an additional 12 acres of sports fields in the very near future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2014, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the GL 220lb hopper and I do not recommend that you fill it with 220lbs of anything unless you are wide open and going in a straight line and level surface. Very difficult to turn with that much weight over the wheels.

On bigger lawns I will fill with 2 bags and take 2 bags with me and set them on by the house so I can refill without running back to the truck.

Honestly, if I had to do it again, I would go with the 120lb hopper...don't have that many large lawns.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Any recommendations on a good carrier for the Rover? We have a XR being delivered and would like to know if it comes with a cover for the hopper? If not, where would I get one to fit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2014, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scroll to the left and up to Plugger/sourceone company--one of our long time sponsors.
They make a nice ramp and it removes and folds up for storage. Easy Hauler.

http://sourceoneope.com/ezHaulr.html
Old 08-18-2014, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

How well will that work with the Rover's sulky? Couldn't tell if it is narrower than the unit itself.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2014, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if it will fit. Looks like the wheels are the same distance apart on the sulky. The ramps are adjustable for width.
http://groundlogicinc.com/rover.html
Old 09-03-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

We got the Rover in a couple weeks and all seems good so far. I've got it dialed in for the fert we'll be using but have yet to really but it to the test as we just finished up our liquid round 5 last Friday.

Is anyone using the Ground Logic for seeding? We've got several sports fields to seed this fall and wasn't sure if I'd be able to get 10lb per 1,000sqft.