Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-10-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Heres the firewood. $600 for this load, mixed cherry, maple,oak etc. LOt of work here to make a couple bucks haha.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2014, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Thanks for the kind words and following my thread. Congrats on being where your at in your buisiness, it sounds like you got a good bit of customers going on and I'm sure you will keep growing.
As far as your truck question, just curious to know if your gmc is paid off or close to being paid off yet? The reason I'm asking is because I was at the same situation as you where about 7 years ago I had a 1500 chevy it had a v8 but I decided to trade a good truck in for a 2500, which was a upgrade but looking back I should have just kept the 1500 and used it for a personal driver and bought a used dump truck. I think in the buisiness we are in it's nice to have a personal truck for daily use and light work use and estimates etc, and have a heavy duty work truck for the heavy use, it also comes in handy for a truck brakdown to have a extra back up truck to use. This might be veiwed as a luxuary rather than a nessecity but I'm sure other guys here run similar truck combos for the same reasons. But if you want to trade a truck in that's fine as well, I run all 3 as you can see, I would say anyone thats fits your budget, there pretty much all the same to me anymore, dump insert will work great for you, they been through wars with us and I can say they will help. I don't want anyone to think I pick inserts over full dump beds, just for some reason I haven't got one yet. I will be picking up a dump trailor in a month or two which will help, but I plan on buying a larger dump truck when the Ford 250 is paid off, I'm trying to keep my debt down as we grow.
Thank you for such a quick response. To understand my situation a bit more, heres a little about me: I'm 21 and a college student going into my final year of school. I go to school an hour and a half away from my hometown, so i drive back and forth every weekend and some week days to keep my business running, and when i get out of school next spring, i expect dramatic growth in my business just for the fact that i will be in my hometown all the time. As of right now, i'm running my operation out of my parent's garage (thankfully i have such great parents who will let me do what i'm doing to make a living and to pay my own way through school and beyond.) Once i'm out, i will also have to find a dedicated place to run my business out of. So that is basically where i stand on my business, and that is why my next truck will be my daily driver as well. My current truck is an 05 gmc sierra 1500, 2wd, 5 speed, v6. Its pretty under-powered for the hell i put it through to say the least. I can't talk to bad about it though since i've had it for a long time and its paid for itself time and time again. I bought it back in my junior year of high school for $6,900 cash which i had saved from mowing all my neighbors lawns since the age of 11. In the place i'm at in my life at the moment, i feel like an upgrade is necessary. I'll be buying a truck at the end of this season before next spring. The bottom line is that i'm not sure what the best upgrade for me will be. I love your f250 and your 2500 chevy. They both seem like pretty slick rigs, but your dodge is by far my favorite simply because of the diesel. However, i'm not sure if buying diesel would be a hasty decision on my part. I think they are the coolest rigs on the road, but i think for me, a diesel would be overkill. If you were in my shoes, would you run a diesel like your dodge, or a gas truck just like your ford or chevy? My budget will be around $12,000-$15,000 and hope to pay the largest majority in cash. I want the best rig for my money. What would you do?

P.S., Sorry for such a long post, I just feel like you could help me best out of all the others on this site and i respect your opinion greatly. Thank you sir.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's some pics of our current job we just started. So far paver sidewalk and a small retaining wall, we did this today, and hopefully in a day or two we will put in all the beds, plants etc.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A job from today also, I wish I would have taken before pics here. We ripped out about 40 feet of 40 year old arborvitaes and some brush on this property line. The customer was happy and asked me if we could throw together alittle plant bed while we were here, I said sure didn't have a busy afternoon on my crew so we threw in some topsoil and grass's and some other items. In the near future we will take down the old shed in the pic. Place looks alot better in person I think.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some pics of the job boards again, I'm still happy with this simple concept we started this season, it helps get my guys ready for the week mentally, and also gets myself ready for the week as well. First pic is the simple white board with a basic layout of the weekly schedule, the cork board has the schedule laid out with work orders detailing the tasks of each scheduled job and also the 2 mowing days are up there with the accounts we will mow this week, and finally the folder on the wall has all of our backlog work that we have set in stone for the future weeks etc, my task is to keep that folder stocked but it's starting to get alittle more empty each week now.
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Paver walk came out great. Nice organization, i know what you mean about that folder getting light especially in august!
Old 08-16-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Paver walk came out great. Nice organization, i know what you mean about that folder getting light especially in august!
Thanks! Here's some finish pics of the landscaping. Thought this turned out nice.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2014, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Some drift roses and a grab apple tree at one of our maint accounts.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Delivering some firewood allready.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2014, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Job from today, removing some burning bushes, and planted a couple trees.
Attached Images