Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
Apologize for spitting in the grass?

Lol. Come on man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, you're right - when you do something that has your client so upset it turns into an argument, an apology is the LAST thing you should consider when attempting a resolution to the problem. I always recommend a great big EFF YOU because that is so much more mature and professional than saying "it won't happen again".

He said it was a good job. Who the hell would be so bullheaded that they would argue away a good job rather than apologizing and coming back again the following week - and the week after that, and the week after that?
He didn't apologize - he "challenged" her. He lost.

Spit away. Keeps me in good work!
Old 08-14-2014, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I've never seen anyone laying in their lawn.

It amazes me how uptight people are now days.

The lawn is dirt, bugs, dog ****, bird ****, etc....

What's wrong with spitting on it?!?!
Posted via Mobile Device
So the 4 kids that were out wrestling and rolling all around on their lawn yesterday, I should have told them to go back in and play the xbox?

True, you get whatever on a lawn, but still you've "never seen anyone laying in their lawn..." ???? Personally, we're usually sitting in the grass every evening talking to the neighbors watching the kids play.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
Must be a southern thing....I honestly don't know anyone who uses chewing tobacco only smokers. IMO spitting in general is a nasty habit and there are places where you just do not spit. Let's face it there is a thread "I was taking a quick wiz when" or something like that, so you could do worse then spit. I personally don't wiz on clients property nor do I spit on them. Unprofessional tho to spit? Let me ask all of you this.... Even if every landscaper on earth acted prim and proper. Dressed clean and always polite. Do you guys really think some CEO of a larger business whom you do work for will really think you are on their level? Even if you pull in more annual take home income then them they will still look down on you as "just a landscaper" I say do what you do. If your clients do not show negative feelings towards it, so be it. When did everyone become such puss bags to say oh that's unprofessional? Or that is? You guys need to get a grip on reality if you feel that most people give a flying phuck what their lanscaper does on their yard. I've been doing this for 20 years and aside from the initial face to face ( them asking for a quote) I haven't even seen about 70% of my clients and I'd even go as far to say that about the same percentage don't even set foot on their yard. They just drive in their garage, auto shut door then stay inside until they are driving off again. Would I spit all over someone's yard? No would I piss in a yard? No. Do I think these activities are inappropriate? Yes. Unprofessional? Yes. But at the end of the day kids, I am "just a landscaper" in most peoples eyes. Just do quality work get your money and quit being a puss about it! If no one says boo about what you do, have at it. If someone makes a stink about you spitting because you chew or because you're smoking on their yard. Apologize and don't do it again out of respect. End of the day, that is the professional way to handle it no?

On a side note for smoking in the truck.... Here in Toronto the rules have become so strict you can't even smoke in a commercial vehicle while working! So just say you ran a solo OP in your own truck, by yourself and working you can get a ticket for smoking in your truck! Phucked up no? You guys keep that in your mind while you fight for your "right" to spit on someone else's yard
Posted via Mobile Device
Scott Brickman is higher up the corporate ladder than the vast majority of his clients.
Owning a landscaping company is different that being a landscaper.

A commercial truck is a work place environment (I don't know who established that recently, but they did) and It has been illegal to smoke in public/common work places for a while.
So yes, here too, you cannot smoke in a work truck, moving or not.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
So the 4 kids that were out wrestling and rolling all around on their lawn yesterday, I should have told them to go back in and play the xbox?

True, you get whatever on a lawn, but still you've "never seen anyone laying in their lawn..." ???? Personally, we're usually sitting in the grass every evening talking to the neighbors watching the kids play.
atone who doesn't realize what people use their lawns for is pretty ignorant of why they do what they do for a living, in the first place.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post

I guess it's just where you come from and how you were raised. My dad used to spit tobacco juice on my our bee stings when we were kids. Growing up playing baseball spitting was just something people did.

I also eat sunflower seeds sometimes when working so they get spit all over people's yard as well. I have plenty of high end customers that I've had a conversation with a big chew in my mouth. Nobody's ever said a word.

Before reading this thread if a customer walked out and said something about me spitting in the lawn I would probably would be so shocked I wouldn't know what to say.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I guess it's just where you come from and how you were raised. My dad used to spit tobacco juice on my our bee stings when we were kids. Growing up playing baseball spitting was just something people did.

I also eat sunflower seeds sometimes when working so they get spit all over people's yard as well. I have plenty of high end customers that I've had a conversation with a big chew in my mouth. Nobody's ever said a word.

Before reading this thread if a customer walked out and said something about me spitting in the lawn I would probably would be so shocked I wouldn't know what to say.

I had a staff sergeant that used to chew sunflower seeds and spit the shells everywhere.
He would spit them at you while he was talking to you, sometimes bouncing off your chest.
The guys had a plan that when they got to combat there would be an accidental grenade that fell his way.

When I got high enough in rank I told him to his face once day "Sergeant, If so much as one more seed shell comes in contact with me or my clothing, I'll personally take you out back of the training area and adjust your attitude"

although I was a lower rank than him, I was twice his size and one of the more feared combat leaders when it came to being able to see through any trouble my mouth could create.

He miraculously quit chewing sunflower seeds.

Had I actually adjusted his personality, sure I would have lost rank, but no one would have EVER respected him or taken orders from him again.
He would have needed to have been reassigned to where no one knew he had gotten schooled.

I would really, REALLY reconsidered chew or seeds, if you THINK people aren't disgusted by your habit, it is simply because they are all planning your demise behind your back and haven't told you yet.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:00 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

Ok, time to move on from this one...no need to continue posting uncalled for comments and/or attacks at one another

Thanks