Register free!

Old 08-17-2014, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
I specified mason sand. I know about poly sand, but I am not a hardscaper... I do not know which product to use in this application.
Then why are you doing it? They will be in the same boat in a few years. Poly sand and paver sealers are two different things. The sealer is not for weeds etc, just aesthetics
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If they really want to cut down on the weeds pull the pavers up put down fabric relay pavers then poly sand. Sealer isnt going to do anything for the weeds
Old 08-18-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promower View Post
If they really want to cut down on the weeds pull the pavers up put down fabric relay pavers then poly sand. Sealer isnt going to do anything for the weeds
Quoted for awesomeness
Old 08-19-2014, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just an update. I preformed the work today, applying 240lbs of mason sand on the walkway and sweeping it in the joints. Before that I weeded them.
The husband wanted me to come inside and I came in and there was his wife ready to interrogate me. "But your not sealing it!" Of course not, no one asked me to seal it! Kind of PITA people, but we finished and they want some more work lol. I don't like getting involved in peoples communication / control issues.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 08-20-2014, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Wife mentions she wants pavers sealed... Did you call Sun brite or Seal n Lock or Southern Stain and Seal and ask about paver sealing? Sounds like you had an easy upsell and money left on the table because you wanted the easy way out?
Pressure Washing Augusta GA
Incredible Pressure Washing Martinez GA
Best power washing service in Augusta GA.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did you explain to them that what you did will not prevent more weeds in the future? Next season when weeds start popping up again are they going to wonder why? Are they going to think that you didn't do the job properly? Are they going to blame you? Are they going to not call you for any future work over it? Are they going to bad talk you to their neighbors? The homeowner originally asked for a more permanent fix to their weeds. You told us you don't do hardscaping and asked for advice, which you received. Local guys even gave you the name of local distributors for products. Yet you did not take any of our advice. What was the point of asking us in the first place?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenI.A. View Post
Did you explain to them that what you did will not prevent more weeds in the future? Next season when weeds start popping up again are they going to wonder why? Are they going to think that you didn't do the job properly? Are they going to blame you? Are they going to not call you for any future work over it? Are they going to bad talk you to their neighbors? The homeowner originally asked for a more permanent fix to their weeds. You told us you don't do hardscaping and asked for advice, which you received. Local guys even gave you the name of local distributors for products. Yet you did not take any of our advice. What was the point of asking us in the first place?
Agreed. You did exactly the OPPOSITE of what the rest of us would have done, and what everyone advised you to do. You should have used poly sand and you should have upsold them on the sealer! They were friggin' asking for it and you didn't even give them a quote or try to upsell? You gotta be kidding me! We brought in over $50k this month in sealing projects. It's a freakin easy sell, it's some of the easiest work to do, it's very profitable and looks fabulous when you're done.

Why even bother to ask for everyone's advice and then totally ignore it?

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-25-2014, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
Agreed. You did exactly the OPPOSITE of what the rest of us would have done, and what everyone advised you to do. You should have used poly sand and you should have upsold them on the sealer! They were friggin' asking for it and you didn't even give them a quote or try to upsell? You gotta be kidding me! We brought in over $50k this month in sealing projects. It's a freakin easy sell, it's some of the easiest work to do, it's very profitable and looks fabulous when you're done.

Why even bother to ask for everyone's advice and then totally ignore it?
What do you use for sealant?
Old 08-25-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Home View Post
What do you use for sealant?
For paver sealer, we use Techniseal ColorBoost sealer. Love that stuff.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-26-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, I'll give it a try. The big box store stuff lasts one year only.