Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
Mowing is very profitable for me, although I'm solo. While not the most profitable thing I do, it's very profitable. The most profitable stuff I do is landscape design and install as well as irrigation repair. Replacing sprinkler heads is probably the single most profitable thing I do when you look at the amount of money I make vs the time it take me to do it and overhead.

I like mowing though, it's good steady money that I know will be there week after week and I think it's satisfying work.
Agree about mowing. I think it depends on your georaphic location a lot. People who think it's low margins might be in an area where there is too much competition and they can't understand how some of us are happy with our margins. Like you said its steady and more predictable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2014, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMowed View Post
After 3 1/2 years of working 60-70 hrs a week trying to grow and pinching every penny I have discovered there is one key to success in the lawn care/ landscaping business. DON"T MOW YARDS! Cutting grass is not profitable.
Simple solution. You need to increase your prices. Some customers will drop you, so be it. Who cares if you have 100 lawns to cut if you are not making enough money? Spend time analyzing each lawn in terms of time vs price. Crank up the pricing on the bad ones and move on.

I would rather cut 50 profitable lawns with 2 employees.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax
Old 08-17-2014, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
The only time there should be a 4 man crew for mowing is on large commercial accounts or townhouse complexes. Whoever would think of running a 4 man crew for residential accounts (unless they're multi-acre estates) doesn't know their numbers.
Thats a pretty bold statement and I disagree, but to each their own. There has been countless posts about what the best crew size is for mowing and everyone has their own opinion.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMowed View Post
Average is $37.2something. $350 highest, $30 lowest (I do cut 1 yard for free but I get a gallon of moonshine once a month)! 4 man crew plus me running 2 trucks working about 50 hrs per week. I work solo on Sundays because no one else wants to work 7 days a week.
Not too far up the road from you. Do you have 2 trucks with 2 people at each? I have discovered that anything over 3 people at once is really a waste on most yards. Unless the property is big or you are doing more than mowing there will always be somebody standing around. Also if you are traveling from yard to yard you have a lot of down time where you are paying people to sit around. Might be worth dropping a few lawns and going down to one crew.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wish I was as good at writing as some in this thread. Anywho, mowing lawns solo for 28 years has put me in a league of my own! Or I mean a league with you all.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonWin View Post
From what I'm hearing of those who posted I guess I'm the only one who makes good money mowing. I do the all extras as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm in the same boat, believe my average priced lawn is around $45. Two man crews I've found are the best way to make money at lawn mowing. I used to solo cut and while it's better money than a 2 man crew, I was absolutely whooped every night.

I believe my margins on mowing are about the same as landscaping.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you timed each yard? What are your rates and why? Have you figured out your overhead recovery cost per hour? Only when you truly know your costs can you start to make a profit.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
Have you timed each yard? What are your rates and why? Have you figured out your overhead recovery cost per hour? Only when you truly know your costs can you start to make a profit.
Exactly. I time mine every week
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2TheGreenIndustry View Post
Spend about $150 in gas every week, nat.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cornwallis View Post
Mowing is very profitable for me, although I'm solo. While not the most profitable thing I do, it's very profitable. The most profitable stuff I do is landscape design and install as well as irrigation repair. Replacing sprinkler heads is probably the single most profitable thing I do when you look at the amount of money I make vs the time it take me to do it and overhead.

I like mowing though, it's good steady money that I know will be there week after week and I think it's satisfying work.
Mowing is profitable for me too. I'd love to get into design work, I'm just tired of bending over whenever I want something from my state. It already hurts as it is.

There is money to be made in mowing. It's a numbers game. Spending tens of thousands of dollars to mow a lawn for $35 isn't going to make you money. Spending money on things you want vs what you need isn't going to make you money. There are certain mowers for certain lawns....and there is such thing as overkill.