Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't waste your money on a dozer blade. Been there, done that.

2013 Cat 299D XHP

Bobcat Flail Cutter
84" Custom Built Scarifier
84" Custom Built Mini Dozer Blade/Grapple Bucket
84" Custom Built Ripper/Ring Roller
84" Level Best Dual Slope Box Grader with Power Masts

http://happytrack.com/html/track_0.html
Old 08-19-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A few things to consider:

Here are a few sage bits of wisdom I have garnered by reading lawn site threads on this topic everyday for almost 7 years. I also used much of this wisdom and I am very happy with my skid.

1. Demo the machines, but really look at dealer support first. Buying on dial position for the radio, will piss you off the first time your machine goes down and you need support fast.

2. Rent machines and build up a feeling for what size machine suits your operation and what attachments are essential. Don't buy any attachments that you don't use often. Rent them! Nothing pisses me off more than looking at all those 2-6,000 dollar attachments I had to have, and they sit in my yard!

3. Try to buy a lightly used machine to put thousands of dollars into your pocket. I saved thousands of dollars over a new machine and I love thinking of how large of a wad of hundreds that bulge would be in my pocket. Plus every time I get a ding or scratch on the machine I just think, "more character." If I scratched a new machine I would weep.

Here it is in a nutshell from all of the great wisdom on this site: (PS I wish more people actually took the advice all the older guys on here gave, I think I might have been the only one listening

" Rent to find your sweet spot, Demo to find your perfect sweetheart, then find a well cared for just broken in sweetheart, buy it and save enough to take your wife to dinner, in France." Laugh all the way to the bank. I do!

-Chris
Old 08-19-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp View Post
You had better be very aware of how the dealer responds to you after the sale….Either machine would be good , with a good dealer, one that treats you as you would want to be treated…I have had poor results with my Bobcat dealer, but excellent treatment from Kubota…Guess you can figure out where I will be buying my next piece from…..Tony
I can see this already... Bobcat talked to me, walked around, sat in machines, gave me a quote... and haven't heard back from since. I have had many phone calls and emails with the Cat rep. It does mean something...
Old 08-19-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstrebe View Post
Don't waste your money on a dozer blade. Been there, done that.
So do you think the bucket is just as good as far as end result? Any difference between the dozer blade and an angle blade? Both worthless?
Old 08-19-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
Here are a few sage bits of wisdom I have garnered by reading lawn site threads on this topic everyday for almost 7 years. I also used much of this wisdom and I am very happy with my skid.

1. Demo the machines, but really look at dealer support first. Buying on dial position for the radio, will piss you off the first time your machine goes down and you need support fast.

2. Rent machines and build up a feeling for what size machine suits your operation and what attachments are essential. Don't buy any attachments that you don't use often. Rent them! Nothing pisses me off more than looking at all those 2-6,000 dollar attachments I had to have, and they sit in my yard!

3. Try to buy a lightly used machine to put thousands of dollars into your pocket. I saved thousands of dollars over a new machine and I love thinking of how large of a wad of hundreds that bulge would be in my pocket. Plus every time I get a ding or scratch on the machine I just think, "more character." If I scratched a new machine I would weep.

Here it is in a nutshell from all of the great wisdom on this site: (PS I wish more people actually took the advice all the older guys on here gave, I think I might have been the only one listening

" Rent to find your sweet spot, Demo to find your perfect sweetheart, then find a well cared for just broken in sweetheart, buy it and save enough to take your wife to dinner, in France." Laugh all the way to the bank. I do!

-Chris
I like your thinking. I haven't seen many ctl's with less than 2,000 hours in my area, which I guess is a good sign that the economy is keeping them busy and not being sold or traded in to get out of the business? I'll ask the Cat dealer when I demo Friday regarding used machines available, the Bobcat dealer is always very limited.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCat View Post
So do you think the bucket is just as good as far as end result? Any difference between the dozer blade and an angle blade? Both worthless?
Dozer blade Is just a blade no movement Now a 6 way blade is what you want
Many things you can use a 6 way blade grade rock driveways Level dirt piles

Here is one thing you might think about. Are you going get in the snow plowing not sure if you live in area that has snow If so
you buy a tire skid and buy tracks for it
Ones you looking at will push snow But even with being a 2 speed they are slow
Like my Skid first gear is the same speed as the ones you posted when they are in 2nd

Something think about
Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I am in Florida, so no snow plowing... plenty of sand plowing though. That is why I think I will go with wide tracks no matter which machine I choose. Sinking in sugar sand is something I would prefer to avoid.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCat View Post
I am in Florida, so no snow plowing... plenty of sand plowing though. That is why I think I will go with wide tracks no matter which machine I choose. Sinking in sugar sand is something I would prefer to avoid.
Ok you didn't have that on you profile

Wasn't sure where you was from Sorry I'll shut up
Old 08-20-2014, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Ok you didn't have that on you profile

Wasn't sure where you was from Sorry I'll shut up
No, please keep giving me ideas and thoughts, it is very helpful. I'll update my profile, didnt even think to do that!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2014, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you need to get a machine and use it before you go spending thousands on a dozer blade.

I bought my machine and just had to have a a 4n1 bucket and a grapple. I sold the 4n1. It was good to have but I never used it. I still have the grapple but I've only used it twice. No where near enough to pay for itself..

I've never used a dozer blade but I don't see any real purpose to them other than something else to tote around and take care of.
Posted via Mobile Device