Register free!

Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I've enjoyed reading an learning from this site for many years. Lately however it seems like very time there is an interesting subject or topic DVD plays the role of god and ruins it for everyone participating. While I agree with much that he has to say there are more ways to skin a cat and it getting pretty old having every post taken over by someone who's supposed to be so busy with family, work and life that he should not even have time to be on this forum to read let along contribute. DVD drop the self apointed roll as god take a humble pill and let this be a place for people to communicate with one another rather then your personal pat on the back.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.L. View Post
I've enjoyed reading an learning from this site for many years. Lately however it seems like very time there is an interesting subject or topic DVD plays the role of god and ruins it for everyone participating. While I agree with much that he has to say there are more ways to skin a cat and it getting pretty old having every post taken over by someone who's supposed to be so busy with family, work and life that he should not even have time to be on this forum to read let along contribute. DVD drop the self apointed roll as god take a humble pill and let this be a place for people to communicate with one another rather then your personal pat on the back.
I think he has the mods in his pocket or something! I agree on your points but it very easy to skip his comments and move onto others. That's usually what I do.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
LOL - spending a fortune on gas for making multiple trips to day one of a job or sending multiple trucks to day one of a job sure do make sound business sense

The idea is to turn a profit. Not to work for banks Nor to work for then gas/oil tycoons

Advertising? Don't take an old pic for mistake - Any vehicle can be wrapped....and you have a rolling bill board. Don't take an old pic for mistake - vehicles are paintable, too

See, I don't have bill collectors calling me during the winter months lookin for money. Life is great and the haters just keep on hating and i LOVE it!

You folks sure have a lot to learn about equipment / vehicle expenses and production!
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not going to be mocked by you DVS.

I'm a HATER because I dont want roll decade plus utility trucks as tool carriers LOL. DVS please explain how the biggest landscape corporate companies commonly use enclosed tool trailers on jobs and they are idiots too? I've seen Brickman, Valleycrest, American Civil Constructors, and CoCal Landscape all using tool trailers in our area.

FYI I don't owe **** I own everything outright. Net worth in the millions at 32, I've been to prison for felony drug dealing at 19 so I've done that in 12 years with no help. I net more than most lawyers and doctors and probably you, no I don't deal drugs anymore either. I don't waste my life endlessly posting on Lawnsite like you. I'm clocking dollars while your posting on Lawnsite to boost your ego. Your like "I'm on some online site where everyone thinks I'm the best" I'm out in 'real life' running crews on 10-12 hour days and flipping real estate on the side. The crumbs I drop are your dinner bro. I hate your "I'm DVS I know it all attitude this is how I do it everyone else should do it that way". I read way more than I post on here no need to write much with all the loudmouths. DVS you do have a few good things to say but realize your way is not the only way or the BEST way. Business don't work like that we all have a niche market we exist in. If my business was an exact replica of my competitors it would make it less successful. The fact we do natural stone work only and no pavers or block sets us apart from our competition. Sure it costs us a couple jobs where they want concrete legos but who cares it boosts my image for the natural stone enthusiasts who have the really deep pockets around here.

Anyways we all have our own ways, your ways may work for you, my ways work great for me. Your ways seem like a joke to me! I wouldn't be seen in that old Chevy 454, plus you bitching about gas this gas that why would you get a 454 and not a 350 MR I MUST SAVE GAS. My customers would tell me to get that old beater off there custom sandstone driveway before it leaks oil. I don't even really trip over how much gas we use it's a just a minor expense on the path to making money. Sure it's good to keep expenses in check but I mean the main goal that people forget is get jobs done quick, bid right, done well, and onto the next one.

Good luck to everyone and DVS I won't be able to read your reply until next weekend I'll be too busy making money!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What those guys said. What both those guys said
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2014, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha^^^^^^
Old 08-17-2014, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey leave the chevy 454 outa this! Lol
I have an 86' 454, omg poor trucks looks horrendous but i just can sell her, it was one of our first trucks. Shes like our trophy lol. I can remember the last time we used her but she runs like a champ.

I just read this thread, and all i read was bashing. When hardscaping and landscape, their are many different ways to run an operation. Pick which way works for you and is efficient and thats it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I started my company very young in age. Because I was young, there was so much I didn't know. I also had a desk drawer full of payment books. My dad would tell me "all you're doing is working for the banks.

I don't care what anyone here does with their money, equipment purchases, etc. It has no bearing on my life and well being.

All I'm doing is sharing my ways, my experiences, and my thoughts. When I started in business we didn't have the internet. I had to wait for Lawn & Landscape's monthly issues to come out and that was where I learned business.

The hardscape industry, on a national level, has the lowest net profit margins out of all the facits of the landscape trade, according to stastics (provided by reputable industry speakers). I lost count of how many hardscape guys do not make it longer than 5 years.

You can make a lot of money in this business, but not if don't tread lightly with how you mobilize tools and equipment to the jobs. To make it past the 5 yr point in this business you need to keep expenses as low as possible. Is making two separate trips to start a job smart spending?

Many guys lack business instinct. Don't get me wrong, there are many here that are very smart and know what they're doing.

To me, an enclosed trailer for a **small operation** is not a swift way to operate, due to the fact that you must make multiple trips or have multiple trucks to mobilize the equipment and tools to the job site. Most have never thought about it, they just do it. A one ton dually utility body holds an amazing amount of tools just like an enclosed trailer, maybe even more.

If you know what you're doing you can make out very good with buying old trucks. Especially when they're on routine maintenance programs. 125,000 miles is nothing for a GM 454, the engine is just getting broken in. I have a 1993 Ford chassis with a 460, it's a really strong engine, doesn't even burn any oil.

I feel confident that I'll get another 75,000 to 100,000 miles of use out of our $2,200.00 Chevrolet utility body, which will be over the course of 3-4 years. The thing drives like it's new. Yeah, and along the way it will probably need a fuel pump, a starter, altenator, a radiator, wuter pump, and intake gaskets. And I'm ok with that. The key is to replace these parts before they fail.

Paint jobs and wheel dress up kits can turn an old truck into a working class truck. (I don't care for these particular front wheel covers, nor do I care for the pin stripes, see pic below), but the vehicle has a clean appearance.
Attached Images

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 08-19-2014 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I say buy all new and let me know when you are going to sell it. Looking for a new used cat 2 speed track skid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtoxic View Post
I'm not going to be mocked by you DVS.

I'm a HATER because I dont want roll decade plus utility trucks as tool carriers LOL. DVS please explain how the biggest landscape corporate companies commonly use enclosed tool trailers on jobs and they are idiots too? I've seen Brickman, Valleycrest, American Civil Constructors, and CoCal Landscape all using tool trailers in our area.

FYI I don't owe **** I own everything outright. Net worth in the millions at 32, I've been to prison for felony drug dealing at 19 so I've done that in 12 years with no help. I net more than most lawyers and doctors and probably you, no I don't deal drugs anymore either. I don't waste my life endlessly posting on Lawnsite like you. I'm clocking dollars while your posting on Lawnsite to boost your ego. Your like "I'm on some online site where everyone thinks I'm the best" I'm out in 'real life' running crews on 10-12 hour days and flipping real estate on the side. The crumbs I drop are your dinner bro. I hate your "I'm DVS I know it all attitude this is how I do it everyone else should do it that way". I read way more than I post on here no need to write much with all the loudmouths. DVS you do have a few good things to say but realize your way is not the only way or the BEST way. Business don't work like that we all have a niche market we exist in. If my business was an exact replica of my competitors it would make it less successful. The fact we do natural stone work only and no pavers or block sets us apart from our competition. Sure it costs us a couple jobs where they want concrete legos but who cares it boosts my image for the natural stone enthusiasts who have the really deep pockets around here.

Anyways we all have our own ways, your ways may work for you, my ways work great for me. Your ways seem like a joke to me! I wouldn't be seen in that old Chevy 454, plus you bitching about gas this gas that why would you get a 454 and not a 350 MR I MUST SAVE GAS. My customers would tell me to get that old beater off there custom sandstone driveway before it leaks oil. I don't even really trip over how much gas we use it's a just a minor expense on the path to making money. Sure it's good to keep expenses in check but I mean the main goal that people forget is get jobs done quick, bid right, done well, and onto the next one.

Good luck to everyone and DVS I won't be able to read your reply until next weekend I'll be too busy making money!

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Last edited by gallihergreen; 08-19-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: pic too large
Old 08-20-2014, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device