Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2014, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
The VA does disprove PTSD. They sit you down infront of a shrink and go through your post deployment papers you have to fill out. They read what you wrote, then give you a rating. Two questions on the paper are

1. Have you seen any enemy KIA
2. Have you seen any friendly KIA

If you answer no, but claim you got shot at once, and can somehow convice them you have PTSD, they MAY give you a 10% rating. Any rating the VA gives you does not last forever. My papers say I am subject to check ups and re-evals.

Vets are not the "superman" to a company. Ask a vet how many times they were NJP'd. Or ask any Marine if they got a Good Conduct Medal. Ask to see their DD-214, this will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know about them.

Rank plays a large part. Look at their DD-214 to see what rank they were when they got out. Based off Marine Corps rank structure

E-1 Private after 4 years- Don't hire
E-2 Private First Class PFC after 4 years- Don't hire
E-3 Lance Corporal after 4 years- possible hire, but do an extensive interview
E-4 Corporal after 4 years- hire
E-5 Sargeant after 4 years- hire

If they claim they were a rank higher than E-5 in 4 years, they are lying to you....it's impossible.

I was honorably discharged as a Marine Corps Sargeant back in 2007. I did tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. I was awarded a Purple Heart on my 22nd birthday. I was used to mentoring, training, and leading Marines in combat and training for combat. When I got out and got a job, I started as a route supervisor for a family owned company (not lawn/landscape related). With what I was used to, I didn't plan to stick around long if I didn't get promoted- like Banksy said- I wanted a career, not a job. Many of these guys feel the same way.
Ooh Rah Grassmonkey!

I somewhat disagree with your post about hiring or not hiring based on discharge and EAS rank. I think it would depend on how long a person has been out. A lot of guys are young and dumb and making a mistake at 19,20,21 and not being hired for something you did 8,10,12 or more years ago is wrong in my opinion if you are referring to anyone that didn't make rank or got a discharge beside honorable. Now if it was a dishonorable or a felony conviction or the vet is still young, just got out and didn't make rank or had several NJP's like you stated, and it just recently happened, then yeah, I would agree with you.

Maybe you weren't referring to forever and just were referencing a guy that just recently got out and is still young.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Maybe you weren't referring to forever and just were referencing a guy that just recently got out and is still young.
Bingo.

I think after a certain amount of years out, we've all been converted back to a "nasty civilian". I know I have...and I love it! Semper Fi
Old 08-20-2014, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Bingo.

I think after a certain amount of years out, we've all been converted back to a "nasty civilian". I know I have...and I love it! Semper Fi
Fat and nasty!! Good to talk with another devil dog on here.
Posted via Mobile Device