Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2014, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Wright stander X Aero Core deck review

So my dealer was thinking about picking up wright mowers and had his distributor drop me off one to try out to see how I liked it. He basically wanted to be able to sell one before he took them on. I have been interested in wright for a long time but no one around here has carried them. So they dropped it off yesterday but didn't get to play much with it till today. This is the 52inch model.

The good-

-They use compression springs on the deck instead if regular ones so they never need replacing.

-Everything is is placed where you can get at it.
-nothing seems to be overlooked as far as the fine details, tie down hooks, bolt stops welded on the frame to keep things from coming loose, spin on filters were in easy spots
-foot platform was nice.
-Controls seems natural

The bad-
It can not cut anything except thick lush lawns. It could not cut buck horns, and if you hit a bump and the deck lost suction then forget it. Even with suction it missed a lot. My dealer came out to pick it up and rode it around and said the same thing I did. I might throw some pics up later, but they don't show to much.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what do you mean compression springs on the deck?

It does best in thick, lush lawns, but it will cut other stuff too. Did you verify the deck was properly set up? I have messed with mine a lot and have got it cutting decently. I only have real problems on thin yards or very fine bladed wiry grasses. Usually on those I drop the height down to 3'' or less and it does ok. The stock blades are only good for the thick grass, I run the Scag medium lift blades and have good luck with those
Old 08-21-2014, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
what do you mean compression springs on the deck?

It does best in thick, lush lawns, but it will cut other stuff too. Did you verify the deck was properly set up? I have messed with mine a lot and have got it cutting decently. I only have real problems on thin yards or very fine bladed wiry grasses. Usually on those I drop the height down to 3'' or less and it does ok. The stock blades are only good for the thick grass, I run the Scag medium lift blades and have good luck with those
if the deck was off, it wasn't by much. Ya that's what we noticed. I purposely tried on a lawn with it had thick areas and thin areas. It did ok on the thick and crap on the thin. Compression meaning the idler compresses the spring rather than stretches it. It's a better design. The deck just doesn't have that much suction. We could of played with blades but like my dealer said, if it can't cut from factory, then why buy it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2014, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 36'' JD stander a couple months ago(aero core deck) and the deck sucks period. doesn't disperse clippings far, suction is terrible, will not cut thin grass good etc... tried different blades no luck.

returned it w/ 5hrs. and took a 750.00 loss I only bought it because they didn't have any toro/exmark standers in stock, and the JD was on sale. The aero core may look cool, but I thinks its over engineered with to much thought in keeping the deck clean and no thought in quality of cut. IMHO ,Forrest
1998 isuzu diesel dump 14,500gvw
2011 grandstand 60''
2009 phazer 34"
2013 gs 36'
Old 08-21-2014, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobaum View Post
I bought a 36'' JD stander a couple months ago(aero core deck) and the deck sucks period. doesn't disperse clippings far, suction is terrible, will not cut thin grass good etc... tried different blades no luck.

returned it w/ 5hrs. and took a 750.00 loss I only bought it because they didn't have any toro/exmark standers in stock, and the JD was on sale. The aero core may look cool, but I thinks its over engineered with to much thought in keeping the deck clean and no thought in quality of cut. IMHO ,Forrest
I think he will be getting a v-ride next. I can't wait to demo that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2014, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have used an exmark vantage and a vride also, the decks are definitely better on those but both machines are far less superior than the wright in every other aspect IMO. the vantage and grandstand will not cut wet grass without major clumping, and the main drawback to the vride for me was the size and the controls. it seemed to me like there was too much OPC intervention to get the machine moving or hop off for a second. same with the vantage, HORRIBLE dash layout. Neither machine was anywhere close to the wright on hills, or as fast. The wright is a middle of the road deck, it doesn't do anything great, but with some tweaking can make it do everything ok. don't get me wrong, i'll be the first person to jump on the wright needs a better deck bandwagon, and I've made it very well known to wright that i'm not highly impressed with the deck
Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I have used an exmark vantage and a vride also, the decks are definitely better on those but both machines are far less superior than the wright in every other aspect IMO. the vantage and grandstand will not cut wet grass without major clumping, and the main drawback to the vride for me was the size and the controls. it seemed to me like there was too much OPC intervention to get the machine moving or hop off for a second. same with the vantage, HORRIBLE dash layout. Neither machine was anywhere close to the wright on hills, or as fast. The wright is a middle of the road deck, it doesn't do anything great, but with some tweaking can make it do everything ok. don't get me wrong, i'll be the first person to jump on the wright needs a better deck bandwagon, and I've made it very well known to wright that i'm not highly impressed with the deck
So what ate the issue with the v-ride? I can understand the hills thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2014, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad the JD has the aerocore deck instead of a 7 Iron.

JC- have you had a chance to try the Gravely Pro Stance since you have Gravely dealers down your way? I think you'd be pretty happy with one as far as the QOC goes on our grasses here. I was very impressed with the machine all the way around, especially the cut, but I didn't get to cut anything that was wet either.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Too bad the JD has the aerocore deck instead of a 7 Iron.

JC- have you had a chance to try the Gravely Pro Stance since you have Gravely dealers down your way? I think you'd be pretty happy with one as far as the QOC goes on our grasses here. I was very impressed with the machine all the way around, especially the cut, but I didn't get to cut anything that was wet either.
If my dealer takes on scag I would prefer that. I honestly don't want to deal with my gravely dealers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2014, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Nailed it, exactly right. I own a grandstand and it clumps like crazy in wet conditions and the deck needs scraped fairly often. Also correct about one of the positives of the grandstand of not having all of the opc. I can step off of my grandstand keeping one hand on the sticks pick debris off of a lawn and be back to mowing without missing a beat.The standers with the foot opc are a pita. When I tested out the gravely pro stance their lever control presence was much too sensitive. If I moved my hand even the slightest the blades would cut off. My buddy has a v ride and I got to drive it around. Again another step added just to start mowing with a drive engagement shifter. My grandstand, step on platform and pull in right side lever, hit pto and start mowing. Although the v ride will leave a nicer cut in wet conditions than all of the other standers.

The local deere dealer had a left over stander with the 7 iron deck last year. Never used, he was going to sell it to me for $4800. I sometimes regret not buying it. It was fast and responsive. It was also the easiest to maintain and work on because of the engine placement than other standers.
Posted via Mobile Device