Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Kawizx62003 Kawizx62003 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Transition Zone
Posts: 660
I use WPTOUCH Wordpress plugin, PRO version. Works well.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-17-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnsharkMB LawnsharkMB is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 288
Glad I read through this thread.

It made me check my google analytics and I discovered it wasn't even working. I guess when I switched from godaddy to squarespace I didn't add my tracking code.

Can somebody help with this? On squarespace there is a tab for code injection? I've read on google analytics it says to put it right before </head> in the page source but I don't really know how to change that.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-17-2014, 06:30 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
Glad I read through this thread.

It made me check my google analytics and I discovered it wasn't even working. I guess when I switched from godaddy to squarespace I didn't add my tracking code.

Can somebody help with this? On squarespace there is a tab for code injection? I've read on google analytics it says to put it right before </head> in the page source but I don't really know how to change that.
using-google-analytics-with-squarespace
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-18-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnsharkMB LawnsharkMB is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-21-2014, 06:34 PM
ptjackson's Avatar
ptjackson ptjackson is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Posts: 212
All Good info as always from Tony. I will say that what has been most interesting in looking at some bigger sites I have worked on is that there is a shift toward mobile. That is to say mobile traffic isn't really additive it's replacing desktop traffic. So one might be tempted to say, I'll miss some of those mobile users, when it's just users in general they are missing out on. They are sitting on the couch looking this stuff up instead of walking over to the computer.

Full disclosure, I need to redo our responsive template since a redesign.
__________________
Servicevines is an outdoor marketplace where Pro's and customers meet and fall in love.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-21-2014, 09:28 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post
All Good info as always from Tony. I will say that what has been most interesting in looking at some bigger sites I have worked on is that there is a shift toward mobile. That is to say mobile traffic isn't really additive it's replacing desktop traffic. So one might be tempted to say, I'll miss some of those mobile users, when it's just users in general they are missing out on. They are sitting on the couch looking this stuff up instead of walking over to the computer.

Full disclosure, I need to redo our responsive template since a redesign.
Great to hear from my favorite sponsor, Phil. Buried under this mound of notes is a reminder to shoot you an email and catch up.

You raise a very good point regarding the traffic not being additive. That same pile of notes I have has one that says to follow up to this thread with the traffic "market share". The jockeying is really interesting, with tablets and phones having large (100%+), year over year gains, as they eat into desktop's numbers.
__________________
a guy who knows the lawn industry, branding, and web strategy
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-22-2014, 09:18 AM
headz77's Avatar
headz77 headz77 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PDX, OR
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
You raise a very good point regarding the traffic not being additive.
If anything we have the raised the possibility that lower mobile % could be because you have MORE traffic- because you are blogging and pulling in long tail researchers who are more likely to be on the desktop.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-22-2014, 09:29 AM
ptjackson's Avatar
ptjackson ptjackson is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Posts: 212
yeah who knows anymore how much long tail traffic you are getting since google has taken all that away from us with "not provided" http://moz.com/blog/what-is-seo-now

AND even what shows is direct traffic is likely search traffic> Groupon took their site off google to prove that
http://searchengineland.com/60-direc...lly-seo-195415

All that to say is where and how you get traffic is increasingly a black box because in some ways google is king and that's that the king has decided. Maybe that's better for consumers but that wasn't the promise of google analytics and adwords years ago.
__________________
Servicevines is an outdoor marketplace where Pro's and customers meet and fall in love.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-22-2014, 09:46 AM
headz77's Avatar
headz77 headz77 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PDX, OR
Posts: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptjackson View Post
yeah who knows anymore how much long tail traffic you are getting since google has taken all that away from us with "not provided" http://moz.com/blog/what-is-seo-now

AND even what shows is direct traffic is likely search traffic.
It is a little frustrating Phil. I would imagine much more so for people with large sites.

I just assume that 80% of my "direct" traffic is actually Google. And I assume that certain blog posts (older ones not internally linked to much, my "How Much Does Lawn Care Cost" post, etc) are not being stumbled onto from other pages of mine- they are being hit by a searcher.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-22-2014, 11:39 AM
ptjackson's Avatar
ptjackson ptjackson is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Posts: 212
yeah it's hard to know what to focus on? How is that blog performing on SEO (who knows). Where's my traffic coming from who knows. To the latter point the http spec does say if you come FROM an SSL site you should not include the referrer. The biggest problem with that now is that google is telling everyone to upgrade to SSL no matter what kind of site you are to get a "ranking bump". So you better get that Ross Water Garden site a Cert

Like I said google thinks they get to call the shots now.
__________________
Servicevines is an outdoor marketplace where Pro's and customers meet and fall in love.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.10224 seconds with 9 queries