Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2014, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilike2mow View Post
It was a brand new trimmer off the shelf and it wouldn't start. I thought I would try a stihl and see how it is but the brand new trimmer wouldn't start.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have bought all of my stihl handhelds from Ace hardware, but im lucky enough to have the same guys in the showroom every day i have come in. They also run a full mower service shop out of the back so that may help. If it was a new Trimmer right off the wall, i wouldn't have bought it without having them fuel it up and run it. There is always some assembly required when they receive a shipment but nothing to do with the motor. if it wouldn't start most of the time they wouldn't know because they don't fuel and run it just to let it hang on the wall.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The name on the building has nothing to do with quality of service or the ability to service products they sell.

And, nobody's product are what they used to be. With companies merging and new EPA regulations, things will never be as they were. As for me, I'm done with most of Stihl's products.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-20-2014, 01:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willriner View Post
I have bought all of my stihl handhelds from Ace hardware, but im lucky enough to have the same guys in the showroom every day i have come in. They also run a full mower service shop out of the back so that may help. If it was a new Trimmer right off the wall, i wouldn't have bought it without having them fuel it up and run it. There is always some assembly required when they receive a shipment but nothing to do with the motor. if it wouldn't start most of the time they wouldn't know because they don't fuel and run it just to let it hang on the wall.
When I was first thinking about getting a stihl if they offered to demonstrate it i took it because I was reluctant to going to a different brand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2014, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My Stihl dealer has 6 weeks of work backed up for his mechanics to take care of. When I walk in he will do everything he can under the sun to get me back up and going that same day. He treats his full time lawn care guys like they matter. When you find a dealer like that, you need to get in good with them and build a good relationship.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
My Stihl dealer has 6 weeks of work backed up for his mechanics to take care of. When I walk in he will do everything he can under the sun to get me back up and going that same day. He treats his full time lawn care guys like they matter. When you find a dealer like that, you need to get in good with them and build a good relationship.
Take 'em pizza or donuts, once in a while.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-23-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Recently I had the original primer bulb assembly bite the dust on a BR600. Ace had the part, the dealer I had bought it from years ago would've had to order it. I don't know about other peoples equipment, but the primer bulbs are one of my most replaced parts. Why the dealer didn't stock it is mind boggling.
21" Craftsman push
AH230 Shindaiwa Long Shaft Hedge Trimmer
AHS242 Shindaiwa Short Shaft Hedge Trimmer
Two Stihl BR600 Backpack Blowers
Two Stihl FS80R Grass Trimmers
SG20 Stihl Sprayer
Numerous Handtools
36" Wright Stander(Sold)
Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
You could be right, but my way of thinking, I would think you're wrong unless you showed me factual evidence wise. (I) believe Echo out-sells Stihl by a long-shot. I walk in HD and see 2-3 people buying Echo's at a time. Yet, I don't believe the hype about Echo's being better then stihls either. I'm currently in the process of switching everything over from Echo to Stihl. Don't get me wrong, Echo makes some good products. I like their older models, but their new stuff with the junk carbs. isn't for me. I've had 3 Echo trimmers to date, two blowers, and one edger. Every single one of them has carburetor issues or always needing tuned with the exception of the edger.
HD has a credit card, that is a big reason you see a lot of people buying echo at HD. or Toro, or any other homeowner branded equipment. its easy to buy
Old 08-24-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagit View Post
Recently I had the original primer bulb assembly bite the dust on a BR600. Ace had the part, the dealer I had bought it from years ago would've had to order it. I don't know about other peoples equipment, but the primer bulbs are one of my most replaced parts. Why the dealer didn't stock it is mind boggling.
That is mind boggling. I've got 8 or so. A ten pack on eBay cost me around the price of two at the dealer.