Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2014, 04:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my view of the exmark 30" after almost 1 season of use

I bought this mower specifically for an HOA property I picked up. The front yards are a touch big for a 20" pushmower but much too small for any kind of larger mower. I dont mind the exmark 30" but my helpers do not care for it. It mulches and bags ok. I think it leaves an excellent cut by way of side discharge. Overall, l have been
pleased with this mower. Although, I do agree with my guys that as a trim mower it is useless. Here is the good and bad in no particular order.

The good:
1. Can be a timesaver in certain applications
2. Easy to switch to side discharge mulching or bagging
3. Good on fuel
4. Leaves nice stripes in side discharge mode
5. Solid and well built

The bad:
1. Terrible on hills, exmark should be embarrassed. On
steep inclines you pretty much are pushing it manually
2. Half inch height increments are a pita. It really needs to
have quarter inch. I have yards I cant use it on because
I cant match the height of cut to my larger mowers. I will
never buy a mower again with 1/2" height adjustments
3. Too heavy. I usually throw my pushmower in pick up bed
so I do not have to fight with it on the trailer.
4. Leaves stragglers in mulch mode.

I would reccomend this mower for fenced in or smaller front yards where a larger mower does not make sense. For an occasional use trim mower it is an expensive paperweight. Much faster just to grab a light and nimble 20" for around playsets, steep hills, very tight areas ect....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
I bought this mower specifically for an HOA property I picked up. The front yards are a touch big for a 20" pushmower but much too small for any kind of larger mower. I dont mind the exmark 30" but my helpers do not care for it. It mulches and bags ok. I think it leaves an excellent cut by way of side discharge. Overall, l have been
pleased with this mower. Although, I do agree with my guys that as a trim mower it is useless. Here is the good and bad in no particular order.

The good:
3. Good on fuel
5. Solid and well built

The bad:

I would reccomend this mower for fenced in or smaller front yards where a larger mower does not make sense. For an occasional use trim mower it is an expensive paperweight. Much faster just to grab a light and nimble 20" for around playsets, steep hills, very tight areas ect....
Posted via Mobile Device
I have the Turfmaster. So I 'll chime in. I agree with what you say. I use it as primary (only) mower. I am building my business around it. I will say I finally checked fuel use. I got 3 hours exactly on 1 tank. Thats not too bad. So $3.08 to mow about 8 of my yards (a full day, solo)

Although I agree 1/4 inch height increments would be nice, Im not sure they could fit that in!

I dont get stragglers in mulch mode too often (all weeklys).

I rarely use the side discharge but interesting that it leaves a nicer cut.

On inclines, if you have made the adjustments out of the box, its OK. The first day it wouldnt even go up the ramp into my truck. I made the adjustment and it flys up it. Luckily my area is mostly flat. Ditches are where this is tough but I can use a trimmer on them or the 21".

I hope they make a few changes next couple years. It really does struggle in thick stuff, dry or wet.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Regarding the 1/4 increments I would like to add that if you have your front wheels at 3 and your back wheels at 3.5 you are mowing very close to 3.25 inches. Play with it and do some comparisons and you will see what I mean.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kaw,
What adjustment did you make? Mine pulls pretty good but I'm curious to know what you did to yours
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmarkking View Post
Kaw,
What adjustment did you make? Mine pulls pretty good but I'm curious to know what you did to yours
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont think the controls are the same as the toro's but on the Toro there is a nut to loosen near the handlebar and you slide it up (i think) to tighten the cable. Hopefully an exmark owner can chime in
Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post

The good:
3. Good on fuel
5. Solid and well built

The bad:

Posted via Mobile Device
How much are selling it for?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the drive design the same as the metro 26? If so, JUNK! I hate the drive on my metro 26.

Did y'all have problems with the blades that I have heard of from many 30" owners?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2014, 03:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
How much are selling it for?
Not yet. We still need it for an hoa property. The main thing I like about it, is it is nice to have something other than a pushmower that can easily be switched from mulching and side discharge mode to bagging if need be. That was reason I bought it over a true 32" wb where I would of been fooling around with side baggers and mulch kits. For $1600 it was worth it even if I decide to sell it. Whether it mulches leaves well will be the deal breaker.

The other use I have for the exmark 30 is early morning mowing as the nights get cooler. With so much dew on the grass I may use this mower on some smaller lawns that are first on the schedule to minimize some of the mess that can be created with larger mowers and wet grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Lawnkingforever, any updates on the exmark 30? My friend has one and does not like it, says its too heavy and awkward to use on tight yards, and the biggest issue he has is with it clogging up all the time, he says the side chute isn't big enough and clogs up, which in itself isn't a huge deal but then once it's clogged the mower can't mulch and amount of grass worth a darn, unless the lawn is dry, not long and almost doesn't even need cutting then it'e fine, he is regretting his purchase and said he would let me try it out cuz he is likely gonna sell it. It's hard for me to understand as there has been a lot of positive reviews about this mower, the bottom line is, if it can't cut grass than what's the point. This season has been a challenge up here, growth has been almost spring like all season and things are more wet than dry, often times he just leaves it on the trailer in favour of the 21".
Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedar Lawn Care View Post
Regarding the 1/4 increments I would like to add that if you have your front wheels at 3 and your back wheels at 3.5 you are mowing very close to 3.25 inches. Play with it and do some comparisons and you will see what I mean.
This is exactly what we have done for years. Mow quality is untouched. We even do this with our turf tracers. They are 1/2" increments as well.