Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Flyering the same neighborhoods multiple times?

Hey guys,
I have the areas outlined where I want to focus on gaining clients. We flyered this spring, and are going to do so again this fall and next spring also. If the issue ever comes up I want to be prepapred. Where I live I do not need a permit to flyer, but I do need one to go door to door (knock on the door and talk). However, if someone complains that we keep flyering their house, what should we do? It is hard to control, since its not easy to recognize the house, etc... Do I have a legal obligation to stop if they ask?
Thanks
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda

Last edited by recycledsole; 08-21-2014 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to be technical, people use no solicitation signs quite often. But in reality, these signs don't apply for flyer droppers. Out of the thousands and thousands, I've only had a few that asked me not to put a flyer on their door or told me they didn't want flyers. It was few enough that I took notes of their address for future reference. Other then that, legally I don't think you will have any issues. But your goals to keep everyone on your good side, so if they ask or tell you not to, simply just skip them. If not, everyone;s fair game. The way I look at it, us small time operations have to do something to compete with the big companies, most people understand that, while there are a few hard-heads that don't.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 AM
Sponsor

Contact your local county government for their final opinion. Unless you receive an actual reply from someone working for the State about your question all other advise is just that, advise.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-22-2014, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Legal obligation or not, best business practice would be to stop giving that house fliers (or flyers). Although cheap, I doubt I will ever flyer (o flier) anyone's house. I would rather spend the money on postage. I am not a fan of walking onto other peoples properties uninvited, especially these days. Too many crazies out there and who wants to be bothered? Now this probably comes from years of being a police officer, many times I wasn't invited an rarely was it a good visit. Dont miss that!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If a company leaves a flyer at my door, I get it, and I understand it. They are trying to get business, I can't knock them for that.

But when the same company leaves numerous flyers at my door...now its considered annoying. I would think this "multiple flyer" theory would only apply to EDDM, not door to door.

I did 10K flyers this past year and only had 1 complaint. I also was specific in where they were to be placed and don't put them at houses with "No Solicitors" signs up. Although the sign is meant more for Knock-N-Talk, out of respect I don't put flyers on their door.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I hit em every 3 months. The few complaints we had got turned into customers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2014, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ive never herd of someone complaining about a flier.

When I had my business in So. California the houses were all close to geather, Id often flyer 20 houses on each side of a house I worked at.

A couple of things you can do is pay attention when someone moves into a neighbothood. And also when theres a Death, I know its sad, but that's when a lot of people hire a lawn guy.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy-lift guy View Post
Contact your local county government for their final opinion. Unless you receive an actual reply from someone working for the State about your question all other advise is just that, advise.
easy-lift guy
What is advise?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2014, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Twice a week=annoying.

Twice a year=no problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2014, 01:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

A flyer a twice a year left at the property is not intrusive.

People that do not want you will just toss the flyer as they sort their mail.

Knocking on a door to give a flyer even once is intrusive.