Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2014, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Barenbrug Yellow Jacket coated grass seed

Where I am, we have had a very cool summer and I am concerned that soil temperatures may drop below levels needed for germination sooner than normally.
Has anyone used this seed? What were the results? Did it speed germination and by how many days? Was it worth the extra $?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never tried it but guess I am mildly curious too. I just read the company info on it and am left with two thoughts:
-how many pounds of seed are in a 50# bag?
-part of what you are paying for is a fungicide for prevention of pythium; that will not be a problem in your cool soils.

I am more inclined to believe the weather averages always come around. If anything I might seed a week or two earlier than normal then take care of it normally through establishment. If you try it please let us know what you think.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yellow Jacket seed coating is similar to Scotts seed coating. Both contain "Zeba" starch coating which helps retain moisture, during seed germination.
http://www.barenbrug.com/news/drough...udi-arabia.htm

I tried to test the Scotts product last year. As I recall the coating did not help.
Also, the coating takes up a lot of space and weight in the bag--so a 50 pound bag contains more coating and less seed. You could end up with fewer grass blades per sq ft.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ht=coated+seed

Why not start seeding this week? Soil temperatures are very favorable now. Under ideal conditions--perennial rye will germinate and be a quarter inch tall in 96 hours.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 08-24-2014 at 12:01 PM. Reason: link
Old 08-24-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The label list the seed as 50% of a 50# bag, and the yellow jacket coating is listed as being 50%. The 50# bag is roughly $100. more per 50# bag than the suppliers other seed. This supplier's seed is a better quality seed than I was getting from John Deere and is less expensive than John Deere.
So through this supplier, the Barenbrug ends up costing around 5X more per pound.
I will be seeding this week using a Tall Fescue/ Kentucky Bluegrass blend without the yellow jacket.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same concern as you.....had a real mild summer so I was thinking about seeding early. Looks like the temps will be back in the mid to high 80's this week though.

And still not rich

Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a bag of Barenburg seed this spring and slit seeded with it. Results were very good! You are correct, the price after considering the % of seed in the bag costs overall 4 to 5 times more than straight seed. This is why I am going to use straight grass seed.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Yellow Jacket seed coating is similar to Scotts seed coating. Both contain "Zeba" starch coating which helps retain moisture, during seed germination.
http://www.barenbrug.com/news/drough...udi-arabia.htm

I tried to test the Scotts product last year. As I recall the coating did not help.
Also, the coating takes up a lot of space and weight in the bag--so a 50 pound bag contains more coating and less seed. You could end up with fewer grass blades per sq ft.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ht=coated+seed

Why not start seeding this week? Soil temperatures are very favorable now. Under ideal conditions--perennial rye will germinate and be a quarter inch tall in 96 hours.
That is an interesting story on the grass in Saudi Arabia. They say the roots are reaching down 60 cm, that's about two feet.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roots two feet deep? I am always skeptical about such claims.
I would say 4 inches is normal.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oqueoque View Post
The label list the seed as 50% of a 50# bag, and the yellow jacket coating is listed as being 50%. The 50# bag is roughly $100. more per 50# bag than the suppliers other seed. This supplier's seed is a better quality seed than I was getting from John Deere and is less expensive than John Deere.
So through this supplier, the Barenbrug ends up costing around 5X more per pound.
I will be seeding this week using a Tall Fescue/ Kentucky Bluegrass blend without the yellow jacket.
The 50Lb. bag is 50% coating and cost's $100 more? I would say that isn't worth it. The starch coating and the fungicide does more for your peace of mind than anything else.