Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-City Outdoors View Post
For ligustrum we have used the 2oz/gallon.

However we wet the entire plant until the point of drip and then go back over again once it is dry. The 2nd application is focused on the top of the plant. On hot days and/or a heavy 2nd app. we have seen some burn. The next go around we are going to try the 2nd application in a few weeks after the 1st to see if that give us the control with out the burn.
That is what I was wondering about. The burn potential. I am interested to see how your second application a few weeks apart holds. That is what we have tried after using 2oz on viburnum and not getting the stiffer hold we want...so we went to the three oz per app. Interested in seeing if you have the same result with the 2 oz apps overlapping more.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I stuck to the 2oz rate all season. Always sprayed post cutting. Great results, maybe just heavier handed. One more app this month and hoping to be good until December.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-03-2014, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

How does it work on plants 8-12ft tall and 4ft wide? I've got a residential that has about 2,500 linear feet of viburnum around 10ft tall. Obviously, this is very time consuming to maintain a neat and sharp appearance but I'm wondering how well it would work on these. The viburnum hedge is very mature, maybe 10 years old. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-03-2014, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbdlawnscapes View Post
How does it work on plants 8-12ft tall and 4ft wide? I've got a residential that has about 2,500 linear feet of viburnum around 10ft tall. Obviously, this is very time consuming to maintain a neat and sharp appearance but I'm wondering how well it would work on these. The viburnum hedge is very mature, maybe 10 years old. Thanks for the input!
It will work outstanding if applied correctly and at the correct time. That is one of our main uses in major rows of viburnum but to be honest we are lazy at this point and almost every viburnum gets it big or small.

Trim/prune it first and then apply directly after to keep the most formal shape.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-06-2014, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
It will work outstanding if applied correctly and at the correct time. That is one of our main uses in major rows of viburnum but to be honest we are lazy at this point and almost every viburnum gets it big or small.

Trim/prune it first and then apply directly after to keep the most formal shape.
Awesome I cant wait to try it out, and I can imagine once you saw the effects of it applying it everywhere. It has to save a lot of time/money with not having to trim so often. I am anxious to try it out and Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just don't get lazy and forget to reapply at the proper interval. The bounceback effect will completely negate the time savings you enjoyed with the initial app. Its hard to say what that interval is, you just have to watch and see if you notice a slight increase in growth and reapply soon after. This wet summer made it a little quicker than normal but still saved a lot of labor from all the growth the rain would have provided.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Awesome I cant wait to try it out, and I can imagine once you saw the effects of it applying it everywhere. It has to save a lot of time/money with not having to trim so often. I am anxious to try it out and Ill let you know how it goes. Thanks!
You will enjoy it. As Patriot warned , you will start to know the bounce back, do not let it kick out all that new growth , apply again before then. It will take you a little to figure it out, but once you do it works amazing.

Eugenia topiary is another one of my favorites. Keeping that spiral tight with sheers is not exactly not time consuming, with a correct application it can go pretty flawless for you. I will warn you though if you get a blight or pest issue on these with the PGR in place...you will have to wait it out. That is the only bad thing.

It works well on ligustrums too. The not having to go to the truck and get the ladder is worth the cost right there.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
You will enjoy it. As Patriot warned , you will start to know the bounce back, do not let it kick out all that new growth , apply again before then. It will take you a little to figure it out, but once you do it works amazing.

Eugenia topiary is another one of my favorites. Keeping that spiral tight with sheers is not exactly not time consuming, with a correct application it can go pretty flawless for you. I will warn you though if you get a blight or pest issue on these with the PGR in place...you will have to wait it out. That is the only bad thing.

It works well on ligustrums too. The not having to go to the truck and get the ladder is worth the cost right there.
Got it. I just picked up my first bottle today. Have you tried it on loropetalum at all? Does it work well? Thanks for all the help guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-09-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Got it. I just picked up my first bottle today. Have you tried it on loropetalum at all? Does it work well? Thanks for all the help guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have not tried on loropetalum! Is it labeled for them? Remember the label is the law my friend.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I have not tried on loropetalum! Is it labeled for them? Remember the label is the law my friend.
Right. I'm in the process of studying it and such. I just was thinking off the top of my head. Planning on doing an app on a row of viburnum at my place tomorrow to try it out. What about during the winter? Does the app rate change as the weather may have an effect on plant growth naturally? Or do you stick to a routine app which seems to be about 3-4months or so, even though a cold snap may stunt growth? Just trying to be as thorough as I can. This stuff ain't cheap!