Register free!

Old 08-24-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

sedge hammer in a garden???

Hi guys i have an infestation of yellow nut sedge in the corner of my garden i just want to make sure it is ok to spray near vegetable plants and be able to plant next season as well. i also want to make sure it is good for cool season turf.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Products that contain sulfentrazone like Dismiss or Surge should work fine--if--you protect your vegetables with a spary shield made of cardboard.
Likewise Sedgehammer.
I am not sure if either have any soil residual. Follow label instructions. Don't get any spray on the fruit.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd have to check to be sure but I don't think any of these products are labeled for use in vegetable gardens.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sulfentrazone does remain active in soil for some time,
why not just use a non selective like glyphosate
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

riggle that was my concern...is there a way to contact the companies that make them?? i want to make sure that the soil wont be contaminated after use.
Old 08-24-2014, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

If your eating food out of this garden why would you spray anything near or in it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2014, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indplstim View Post
If your eating food out of this garden why would you spray anything near or in it?
Posted via Mobile Device
because the nutsedge keeps spreading. and i have a few other patches throughout the yard and would like to spray it all at once. but right now its in the back corner away from plants but next season there will be vegetables there again.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Don't eat beans, corn, cucumbers, melons, peppers, rice, or tomatoes sold in markets if halosulfuron unsafe for consumption. It is sold as Sandea herbicide for application around fruit trees, vegetables, sugarcane, and most grain crops. http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld9I9004.pdf

Sulfentrazone is a bean, cabbage, pea, soybean, tomato, and sugarcane herbicide. http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld3LT005.pdf

Label rates for those applications are the same as what is used on turf and ornamentals. I am wise to the fact that most of what is used in the T&O market is primarily used in production AG. A lot of hoops were jumped through to get products originally approved for AG into use in lawns. The EPA required absolute proof that T&O uses would not endanger human health. A lawn is not like a field where human contact can be prohibited for up to 21 days for some of the most toxic materials. A majority of the insecticides in AG were either never approved or else pulled out of the T&O market.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-25-2014, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Don't eat beans, corn, cucumbers, melons, peppers, rice, or tomatoes sold in markets if halosulfuron unsafe for consumption. It is sold as Sandea herbicide for application around fruit trees, vegetables, sugarcane, and most grain crops. http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld9I9004.pdf

Sulfentrazone is a bean, cabbage, pea, soybean, tomato, and sugarcane herbicide. http://www.cdms.net/LDat/ld3LT005.pdf

Label rates for those applications are the same as what is used on turf and ornamentals. I am wise to the fact that most of what is used in the T&O market is primarily used in production AG. A lot of hoops were jumped through to get products originally approved for AG into use in lawns. The EPA required absolute proof that T&O uses would not endanger human health. A lawn is not like a field where human contact can be prohibited for up to 21 days for some of the most toxic materials. A majority of the insecticides in AG were either never approved or else pulled out of the T&O market.
Also don't eat small grains, such as wheat. SU herbicides are used on them also. Certainty has an ag label under the name maverick. I think they have dropped maverick and added it to the out rider label. Like greendoctor said. Most t/o labels were previously used under ag labels for years
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nick,
Sedgehammer and such products containing sulfentrazone should not be applied near or within close proximity of any garden plot.
These herbicides work on shoot and root systems. This means that it must reach the roots through systemic action. There is soil activity.
Posted via Mobile Device