Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-24-2014, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
you're not gonna step on my toes. ill be happy to help out any way i can. I'm in covington. but you are gonna have to open your wallet to get started
Yeah I figured the capital investment wouldn't be small. I just bought the 2 books for the ornamental and turf/general standards test. To become licensed. It may be a few months before I make the leap into chemical treating.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2014, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

travel south america
Old 11-05-2014, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm a gigolo during the off season.

"You have the ability to choose which way you want to go. You have to believe great things are going to happen in your life. Do everything you can - prepare, pray and achieve - to make it happen."
- Dr. Benjamin Carson

"Leadership - leadership is about taking responsibility, not making excuses."
- Mitt Romney

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
- Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-05-2014, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
I'm a gigolo during the off season.
In 3 weeks we go to Hawaii for 3 weeks. Have another week of work. End of season can't come too soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2014, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Try to not contract EBOLA jaja

I have a few things i'm going to do this season. I just sent payment for my Landscape Hort book so that I can read and then take the test to be certified for landscaping gigs. Also I plan on getting my Applicators License in 2015 and branch off into the Turf Management side of the business. One of my major goals that I will be hitting next year is accepting CC only and (I know that most of the people on this site will not agree with me on that) but CASH FLOW IS KING. Although all of my customers pay on time and that's not a problem with me, but I send out the invoice on the first cut of the month and sometimes I get the money a week later and sometimes just before the month is up. My plan is to grandfather all of those existing accounts and accept payment like that have been paying and instead only with the new accounts I get from my Marketing Campaign will be CC only and will be charged the day after service, i'm sure most are thinking but PLW what about landscaping jobs well I will have my customer pay a deposit down (non refundable) incase something goes wrong with their card and wont start service until that deposit has been paid. Oh but what about fees you might ask??? Have no fear as I have calculated that for you all. My CC fees will be 2.15% plus .15 cents per trans. Instead of looking at it like OMG I'M LOSING MONEY look at it like this. If I were to accept a check on a landscaping job that was completed on Sunday (or Monday if you don't work weekends) because you were rained out and lets say that the job was about $3,500.00. I would accept payment after job is complete (of course) then I would either 1) Wait and that that check to the bank with all my other checks that needed to be deposited (could be every Friday you do this). 2) Drop what i'm doing at the time and quickly deposit that check into my account before the bank closes. 3) Take picture of check with bank app and deposit it that way. By this time it's Friday of the following week and you deposit the check. Funds might not be available till that Monday as it takes time for it to go into your account. Meanwhile if i were to accept CC I would have that job done on Sunday
then on that Monday or Sunday night run their CC and have the money minus the CC fee in my account next day no questions asked and have CASH FLOW till that following Friday unlike if I didn't accept CC.

So...I have a marketing campaign that i'm currently working on as we speak and making flyers and finding the right areas. So far I have 9 or 10 neighborhoods that i'm going to market to this year using my new business model. So my plan is to get at least 40 new accounts by putting out at bare minimum 1,000 flyers although I do plan on hitting each target area about 5-6 times during spring time. Although I have my hopes set low, I feel like it's a very easy goal to get as people say that you get 1% on return which might happen but i'm figuring less than 1% on my returns. Why you might ask why i'm figuring less than 1%???? Simply because i'm not in the same market like all these other Business Owners. However, once I get 40 accounts I will not stop there I will keep on going till I have enough accounts to hire an additional guy to then make it a 3 man crew. Once I am running the 3 man crew for about a month or so I will either have one of my 2 helpers take my spot and be in charge of running the routes or hire a person to take my place. If i yield less than 40 accounts I will be highly upset as I have put everything I had into this as far as preparation since I already have my Flyers made but if I do get more than 40 I will look at it as a bonus so call me crazy as I don't care what people think of me. I'm an Entrepreneur and won't give up until I get to where I want my business to be.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I do all the production work for a company that a buddy of mine owns called Power Plucker http://stores.powerplucker.com/ or also available on Amazon & Ebay (shameless plug). A drill powered chicken plucker....sounds silly, I fully realize that. He had six-figure sales $$ last year and is projecting at least a 15% increase in sales for 2014. We've shipped the things all over the US and to 40+ other countries and counting. We're going to work on landing some retail accounts over the winter and hoping to continue to expand it. We call the shop & shipping area Pluck Dynasty

Also working on expanding & streamlining Cerakote gun finishing. Next year will be one that will hopefully find me passing most of the day to day lawn care work in the field off to an employee (or two) and bringing some of these other pursuits more to life.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Poor chicken
Old 11-06-2014, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Traveling is great if you can.
This year I want to learn to work on small engines- mowers, weed eaters, blowers. very useful
I also want to learn to cook / prepare raw food dishes. Another essential skill. I may take a side job that actually pays well also. Will do some snow too if we get it. Tree work, stone work also!

Of course you can never prepare too much. Get all your flyers printed, delivery routes mapped out, uniforms made, equipment serviced and ready to go, contacts made, letters mailed...... ETC.
"When we finally tire of searching for happiness outside, we sit quietly and analyze and realize that true and lasting happiness can never come from outside. It can't come because it simply is. You are Happiness personified. You are that Supreme Bliss. You are that Joy. You are the image of happiness. God is the one who is always happy, and you are the image of God." - Satchitananda
Old 11-06-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Well being that I'm starting large in the game. For the off time I will focusing on school. I'm working on my degree in Network Security. As far as equipment goes I will be getting everything ready for next season. I would like to paint the inside of my taller during the down time too.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I eat petrified milk duds all winter.
Posted via Mobile Device