Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2014, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebby View Post
. . . Every one starts the same way. Choke, 3 pumps, turn on, pull. . . .
Do you have your finger on the trigger (i.e., full throttle) or not?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl has worked very hard these last several years at becoming the worst commercial piece of junk one can buy.

They are focused on running on past reputation and popularity and not current performance.

Stihl should have posted an 'gone out of business' sign instead of putting 4 mix out as a viable option.
Old 08-24-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

so true . i only use 4 mix in blower and then only for leaf season
Old 08-25-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

I have ran FS 90's and KM 110's until upping to the 130's. Both of them flood out in the high heat and humidity. The one that is 2 1/2 years old is still running when not flooded. I have been using Seafoam, new plugs, etc. The filters do get soaked and I change them out or blow them out when at home.

The newer of the 2 purchased in March of 2013 is currently at the mechanic. It was hard to pull start, wouldn't rev up as high, and finally lost compression. I'm guessing the ring didn't seat properly and finally broke. Hopefully it will be covered by warranty because I purchased the HP Ultra oil that was suppose to extend the warranty.

I have adjusted the valves on my other 4 mix trimmers, but haven't touched them on the 130's
Old 08-25-2014, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had posted a comment on a thread about a year ago about how if the kombi power head is not put in truck/trailer properly ( sitting upright meaning as if you were putting gas in it) but on it's side or upside down gas will seep through the carb an soak the air filter. In typical lawn site fashion I got chirped about how I must not maintain my equipment. And go figure now a few others are noticing the wet air filter! To the OP when I have a hard time starting any kombi head first thing I do is open the air box 99% of the time it won't start because the air filter is drenched in fuel. Ill use a towel to get some gas out of the filter, start the engine without the filter on then put filter back on close air box and go back to work.
Regarding the kombi power heads my golden rule is put it back properly, seat it upright always and never on it's side. Naturally in the bed of a truck with the hedge trimmer head on it it almost wants to roll due to the hedge trimmers off center position when folded up and I can't tell you how many trimmer racks I've seen ( most likely home made) where every trimmer in it sits upside down. Big no no for the kombi in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, mine ride in a trimmer trap on my open trailer and roll slightly towards the airbox side. I've tried adjusting the trimmer trap because it wears a hole in the throttle grip handle, but haven't had any success. I've sprayed the filters with carb cleaner so they dry quicker, but hate having to grab the stihl tool every time they act up. Thanks for the heads up! I knew they flooded when I would restring them if they were tilted too long.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 02:46 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLarson View Post
Yeah, mine ride in a trimmer trap on my open trailer and roll slightly towards the airbox side. I've tried adjusting the trimmer trap because it wears a hole in the throttle grip handle, but haven't had any success. I've sprayed the filters with carb cleaner so they dry quicker, but hate having to grab the stihl tool every time they act up. Thanks for the heads up! I knew they flooded when I would restring them if they were tilted too long.
Posted via Mobile Device
The vast number of trimmer holders I see don't hold the trimmer in any particular order, meaning as the go down the road, they shift and roll depending on weight/balance.

the ones that hold them snuggly are a pain in the arse to get them in and out of and are a job site time waster.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTLarson View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
How long does it take to restring one. I never even turn mine off.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I SOVLED this issue with a clamp . they dont roll around anymore.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
Do you have your finger on the trigger (i.e., full throttle) or not?
Nope. The trigger is locked all the way on by pushing in the button. It is locked on full throttle. As soon as the machine fires, take it off of choke. If it starts the first pull, take it off of choke. I swear, I have very few issues with a Stihl anything.

I have mostly larger properties. Usually, when done, I put the unit back, drive to the next stop, before starting usually, I refill with gas, releasing pressure. Maybe that is why I don't have problems? Also, I never let anything run completely out of fuel. All hand held tools are also under cover when not being used. Never in the weather. I also trian my guys to do the same. Seldom do they have problems either. Find a system that works and do it the same way each time. Maybe I am just lucky?