Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2014, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

have an engine that sounds like doing the same here kaw fh480v-ds 20. someone had mention nearby could be a coil, as was acting up when it got hot but today i used it and it started from the get go. keep going back to thinking it;s fuel related but i'm no expert. gotta the valves this wk,they are over do per manual. not to mention larry's fix. btw looks like 2 different types of coils are on this engine, least price wise. had me curious why would they be different. if they are at that.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Seems bad inlet gasket is pretty common on the fs481v.... I had a sputtering/back firing in mine about a month back. I did the "spray quick start around gaskets test" and idle changed while spraying in a certain spot. Grabbed the gaskets and took it apart. When I got it apart one gasket was almost in 2 pieces and the other was starting to go. Replaced, put everything back together and engine runs great ever since. For $6 and 20 mins to do the change.... I'd suggest start with the inlet gaskets to anyone with the same or similar engine that sputters.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

that thought of doing the spray thing in my case came to mind the other night. just read somewhere about pulling the choke out to see if issue is fuel related. not sure what that does, gonna have to learn more. don't have a spark plug-coil tester tube, hope i could find one local, might be worth a try.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare spot View Post
that thought of doing the spray thing in my case came to mind the other night. just read somewhere about pulling the choke out to see if issue is fuel related. not sure what that does, gonna have to learn more. don't have a spark plug-coil tester tube, hope i could find one local, might be worth a try.
The quick start test is easy and cheap. And you will be able to tell right away if it's the inlet gaskets
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

update on my surging issue. wanted to try to check for the intake gasket tis morning but had a hard time finding them on the engine. after a phone call to seek some help (parts dealer not from my area) although mentioned was a good idea to check out, my engine has o-rings and maybe to try something else (take off carb bowl, run a small wire up through the nozzle) and if it doesn't work to give him a call back (a very good man indeed). anyway tried but no change. had some time left in the night and remembered reading something about how to check the govener so gave it a try. i'm not sure if i was doing it right, mentioned pliers i used channel locks but to hold it steady. it was a tight area from where i checked it to get a good hold but when i tried it the surge seam to go away, engine ran smooth. so read up on on these tonite and how to proceed , i see they could be adjusted but wanna thread slowly as for my mechanical skills atm don't want to mess with this unless i'm really certein. for the record kaw fh480v ds-20
Old 08-26-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare spot View Post
update on my surging issue. wanted to try to check for the intake gasket tis morning but had a hard time finding them on the engine. after a phone call to seek some help (parts dealer not from my area) although mentioned was a good idea to check out, my engine has o-rings and maybe to try something else (take off carb bowl, run a small wire up through the nozzle) and if it doesn't work to give him a call back (a very good man indeed). anyway tried but no change. had some time left in the night and remembered reading something about how to check the govener so gave it a try. i'm not sure if i was doing it right, mentioned pliers i used channel locks but to hold it steady. it was a tight area from where i checked it to get a good hold but when i tried it the surge seam to go away, engine ran smooth. so read up on on these tonite and how to proceed , i see they could be adjusted but wanna thread slowly as for my mechanical skills atm don't want to mess with this unless i'm really certein. for the record kaw fh480v ds-20
Be very careful messing with the engines rpm if you don't have a tester. You can set it way to high and blow your engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
Be very careful messing with the engines rpm if you don't have a tester. You can set it way to high and blow your engine.
Posted via Mobile Device
yeah, that's what i was thinking, don't want to go messing with this unless i'm sure it's not a dirty carb or other. never had the carb off of this so gonna look into that and see if i could get it cleaned up at some point today. i think not changing the air filter like i always do on the machine (long story on that) ran with it to long might be coming back to get me. looking at how it works last night, it i read it right think it's the pilet jet. whatever, hopefully get it cleaned and proceed from there.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wish I knew how to post pics on here I'd send you a pic of the inlet manifold. But follow the carb it should be mounted on piece of cast metal that leads into the cylinders on the inside of the v of the engine block. That is your inlet manifold. The gaskets I am referring to are in between that cast metal and the engine block. Hope this helps locating it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've never worked on that specific engine so set up might be different
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

My problem is still existing. Last night I pulled the entire inlet air system off, and cleaned the pipe/hose and the air filter. I put a little carb cleaner in the carb, thinking the choke was sticking. Pulled the spark plugs and checked the gap, and installed a new fuel filter.

Seems to run better now at full speed, but very rough at idle. When running you can open/close the choke and there is no change in engine speed/performance. I would expect the engine to die or start "choking". And yes, I looked and the cable is attached, and the choke appears to open/close as appropriate. I'm starting to lean towards the intake manifold gaskets as mentioned above

2001 F-150 Supercrew 4x4
2003 F-150 Supercrew 4x4
1998 18 ft Equipment Trailer
2012 Exmark Turf Tracer 36" Walk Behind w/Velkie
2011 Toro Z-Master G3 48"
Stihl String Trimmer and Stick Edger
Sthil BR600 Backpack Blower
Lesco 80lb Spreader
Lesco 4 Gal Backpack Sprayer