Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2014, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLLandscape View Post
While in my truck search I found an F450 in that exact set up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Wouldn't happen to be this one, would it?
Attached Images

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 08-23-2014, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Wouldn't happen to be this one, would it?
Oh no. I don't have money for that. It's was a 2001. Nice rig tho. Yours?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2014, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Oh no. I don't have money for that. It's was a 2001. Nice rig tho. Yours?
Posted via Mobile Device
Only in my dreams.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

Old 08-24-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Only in my dreams.
I hear ya. That would be a fantastic truck if it had a full width "locker" behind the cab for hand tools. Everything on one truck with the capability to haul. If you really stuffed it with heavy tools you would need 450/550+ truck to have any remaining usable legal payload.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2014, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I mentioned this in another thread where people were wishing they could own a skidsteer or a dingo but couldn't afford even a used one. But they have a $25k truck with new rims, exhaust delete kit, mods here and there but can't find $10k for a used dingo. I'm just as guilty minus the mods stuff. I don't bother with that stuff. I understand the new equipment purchase but for a very small business used stuff makes a little more sense to start. I would love to have that utility body truck and then have purchased a machine instead. Machines make money and so do trucks. Just not the pimped out trucks that only haul trailers.

I had my personal truck almost sold and was looking at a used f550 flatbed. No truck loan and a more than capable truck could've left room for a used dingo. Buyer backed out and the f550 sold.

Just my small opinion among the sea of people who know better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
I hear ya.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your original post is spot on. I say only in my dreams, but if I hadn't have spent $47,000 on a new 1/2 ton personal truck, I could have that 550 pictured. Oh well, I've got a dump, it's not as nice as the blue one pictured, but it gets the job done and isn't a piece of junk by any means. It's about priorities and I'm not too proud to admit that even mine get screwed up sometimes. Oh well, I'm still young, live and learn.

Here is the CL ad for the truck, BTW. http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/4634609223.html

Last edited by gallihergreen; 08-24-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They make dump inserts for regular utility bodies
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 01:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
They make dump inserts for regular utility bodies
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep they do. I was just seeing a body that had more dump volume the way the storage body was created. Plus the built in dumps over lap the utility body vs only being in the center. Either way could work but the insert is quite limited on the service body, a least it looks that way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
An enclosed trailer is not a necessity. If you live in an apartment, townhouse, or dense area, and don't have a yard / shop, then an enclosed trailer is a perfect solution and highly recommended.

So it's taking multiple trips to mobilize. One trip to get the trailer to the site. Then another trip to get the machine (skid steer) to the site. Or some guys will send 2-3 trucks to a job at one time. Or if you only send one truck to the job, then you're having to haul the skid steer the day/night before and drop it off, and then return the day you initially start with the enclosed trailer. Either way, its incurring unnecessary consumption of fuel. The idea in business is to spend as little money as possible on fuel, vehicle expense, and labor. I survived a severe recession in our area, it's been an eye opener on operating with what you can do without.

The ideal set up would be a double stacker trailer like some of the people we race with have. Pull the double stacker with the dump truck. Have all the tools inside, along with the skid steer. All in one trip with one truck.
I spent A LOT of time analyzing the decision to buy and equip job trailers for our install crews over the course of a year or so. We have a very nice and spacious shop and yard in close proximity to most of the work we do.

We keep very good track electronically of all our job costing, production times and labor and equipment times and costs.

I decided last winter to purchase one 16' enclosed trailer, I fit it up with shelves,bins,racks desk etc. I dedicated a full set up of instal tools to this one trailer - laser, hand tools, power tools, saw grinder, repair tools, lighting tools, nut bolts, pipe, fabric you name it.

This trailer was then dedicated to one crew for the season ( the one that does the largest more complex jobs)

I can say WITHOUT a doubt the trailer has made this crew more profitable, The time saved from the reduced trips to supply yard for misc items alone has made it more than pay for itself in one year aside from the countless other ways it has made the crew more efficient.

We will be adding another trailer for 2015
Old 09-09-2014, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wow thats awesome. How many crews do you run?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

http://m.truckpaper.com/ListingDetai...categoryId=296
Posted via Mobile Device