Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-25-2014, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do your customers see immediate results?

I've got some new fert/squirt customers that started in the spring. It's getting close to the end of the season and I think they were expecting a lush, thick lawn by the end of the year. These lawns had never been properly fertilized or had any kind of weed control done. I think I'm learning about managing clients expectations but with some people I don't feel like I can get it through their head that it takes time to turn around a neglected lawn, especially Centipede.

When taking on a new customer with a bad lawn how long do you usually tell them it will be before they really start seeing results? Or do you not say anything and just take their money and do the best you can?
Old 08-25-2014, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest saying to your new customers something like this: "From looking over the condition of your turf, it will take a few weeks of apps to have a noticeable difference appear."

Or something like that so they know you won't see immediate results.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 08-25-2014, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell people a year when trying to turn an weed infested fescue lawn around to perfect
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

some yards are harder then others I give them a pamphlet and explain myself very well. tell them it may take a year for a neglected lawn to get it the way they want. but some still call after 1 treatment and say hey man I got weeds popping up everywhere I explain myself again if they call again its over. theyre fired!
Old 08-25-2014, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One of the biggest problems I think is that the lawn actually looks decent when it's mowed in the summer time even if it's full of weeds.

Then when you put down a pre emergent in the spring and most of those weeds aren't there in May and then you have thin grass and they say "all my grass died".

But at the same time like you said georgialawn some yards are harder than others and don't seem to fill in as quick. One thing I've noticed all the lawns that I mow as well as fert/squirt are in very good shape. It's the ones that mow on their own or have another company that have all the problems.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use great customer service until they start acting dumb. one guy sent me a pic of his lawn said he wasn't happy. he scalped it in august. I Told him I was one piece of the puzzle I am not god so I cant make it rain and I don't cut. he said he has never had this problem before. I left it alone. it hasn't rained. he sent me the pic again said it wasn't fixed. SEEYA!!!! but I have plenty of work. if I was starving for work I may give him one more chance. I don't accept PITA customers
Old 08-25-2014, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does an immediate turn around on new sales and their immediate invoice at the door count? It immediately hits our A/R. How many more times can i say immediate? Should I do it immediately again?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-25-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its going take a year or 2 I tell them There is many steps before you get a lush lawn A lush lawn doesn't come from Spraying

I get calls all time from other spray guys customers First thing they say My Spray guy promise a nice lawn and looks worse now then did with the weeds.
Most spray companies that all they do is spray
There many other steps needs to be done like Slit seeding, Plugging/spiking
I tell them drop there 5 step program and sign up with me I do a 10 step program for the first 2 years then drop it down to 5/7 step depending how the lawn looks after the first 2 years
Old 08-25-2014, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Its going take a year or 2 I tell them There is many steps before you get a lush lawn A lush lawn doesn't come from Spraying

I get calls all time from other spray guys customers First thing they say My Spray guy promise a nice lawn and looks worse now then did with the weeds.
Most spray companies that all they do is spray
There many other steps needs to be done like Slit seeding, Plugging/spiking
I tell them drop there 5 step program and sign up with me I do a 10 step program for the first 2 years then drop it down to 5/7 step depending how the lawn looks after the first 2 years
It's probably a little bit easier with a cool season grass because you can seed and actually start filling in the bare spots.

With centipede all you can really do is wait for it to grow in or sod. Most customers cringe when they hear that word because they know it's expensive.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

My line is "If YOU do YOUR part and I do my part, then your lawn will look great in about a year. Your lawn didn't go bad in a day and it's not gonna be fixed in a day". Being blunt with people and laying out specific expectations seems to be the best route for me.

I'm with Georgia 88, I don't accept PITA customers.