Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I can clearly see the wear indicator in the center of that tire, it's no where near used up
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tell me about dual axle trailers eating tires....

I run a 7x14 enclosed. Never loaded all that heavy, usually 2k lbs in there or so.
First set of Chinese (Triangle brand) tires lasted 1/2 season and almost blew up. Then put on a set of Carlisle Load Range D's (little more than 2 years ago, 10k miles or so). The tires I feel were ok but they are almost shot now, back two are almost void of tread and the front two have about a sixteenth of tread left. Trying to make end of season. Feel like the tires just aren't holding up.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 08-22-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I finally gave up and just buy cheap tires when I need them. (For the trailer anyway) just budget for them and its no big deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maxxis offer a 10-ply trailer tire in 225/75-15. They're rated at 80psi, with full-metal valve stems, and 2830lb capacity. They're made in Thailand. I've run them, the last year, at ~1850lbs on each (daily) and as high as ~2500lbs on each. Yes, I only have a single axle trailer. But, hanging around drag race sites show these are the favored tire amongst the members (Carlisle are known to be blow-out hazards). Those guys are good for buying cheap trailers and overloading them with everything under the sun and driving 80mph to get to and from the track. They're ~$120 each, which is reasonable.

Keep your tire pressures at maximum on the sidewall and rotate them. Be sure your shackles and spring bushings are tight, with no play. Keeping your setup level is always a good idea.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-27-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

got 25,000k out of my 1st set og trailer tires.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I get 20-25 weeks or about 8k miles of out a set due to all the cul de sacs I go through.
Trailer tires lasted about 6k miles every time Ive tried them so I just used truck tires now, cheaper and last longer

Just be aware of load ratings. A couple thousand pounds of lawn mowers is fine, 10k lbs of mulch may not be so lucky.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Member

If possible find a radial trailer tire in your load range and rim size. Most radials, however, are once you step up to 10 ply. There are a few 8 ply "D" load range tires I've seen in the past.

Our 10k flatbed came with 8 ply carlisle bias ply tires which when aired up to 65 psi (max cold pressure) were as hard as a rock and rode like it. Before long, they began cupping and feathering. (Front edge of tread was lifted, with weird wear patterns). When they wore out, we switched to 10 ply radials and solved this issue. In the same time period, we have put more miles on the trailer with no strange wear, more than 1/2 tread remaining, and a much smoother ride.

Also, be sure to get your tires balanced when they're mounted. I've rarely seen a trailer with them balanced and never from the factory, but believe me, it makes a huge difference.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthefurniture View Post
Also, be sure to get your tires balanced when they're mounted. I've rarely seen a trailer with them balanced and never from the factory, but believe me, it makes a huge difference.
Absolutely! I balance every tire.

A local tire shop tried to tell there's no reason to. I explained the vibrations of out-of-balanced tires beat the trailer suspension and structure and contributes to uneven tire wear. He didn't respond.

I used to drive for an OTR trucking company that balanced every trailer tire. They tracked every little detail of every piece of equipment. The maintenance head said they saw significant improvement in tire wear and reduced shock and bushing wear, after they started balancing trailer tires. It makes sense.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 09-04-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Absolutely! I balance every tire.

A local tire shop tried to tell there's no reason to. I explained the vibrations of out-of-balanced tires beat the trailer suspension and structure and contributes to uneven tire wear. He didn't respond.

I used to drive for an OTR trucking company that balanced every trailer tire. They tracked every little detail of every piece of equipment. The maintenance head said they saw significant improvement in tire wear and reduced shock and bushing wear, after they started balancing trailer tires. It makes sense.
Generally otr tires are balance with bead bags now. You put a bag in when you assemble the tire. Once they start rolling it explodes and the beads sit on the bottom of the tire smoothing out vibrations.

I don't balance trailer tires. You're going to have more issues with a tire not being perfectly round vs out of balance.

But yeah I'll balance your trailer tire for you no problem sir. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Generally otr tires are balance with bead bags now. You put a bag in when you assemble the tire. Once they start rolling it explodes and the beads sit on the bottom of the tire smoothing out vibrations.
I know the industry has come up with all kinds of ideas that supposedly do this and that. The aforementioned company had tried a variety of them, but, stuck with spin-balancing as being most sure. I'll go with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I don't balance trailer tires. You're going to have more issues with a tire not being perfectly round vs out of balance.

But yeah I'll balance your trailer tire for you no problem sir. Lol
I know you're a sharp dude on the mechanical end. But, I spent 18yrs trucking. I can't tell you the number of trailer tires (landscape, RV, etc) going down the road, shaking like crazy. Watching the shackles and rockers, I can't see them ever standing a chance at longevity. Think of the fatigue the tire must face, constantly shaking and bouncing down the road. Also, one can see the harmonics in a trailer's fenders. None of my trailers have ever had any sign of vibrations. It does make a difference.

Think of it this way: FL is ~20hrs from me. If I took a trip down there, that's 40hrs of the trailer's components being subjected to however many thousands, millions even, of oscillations. If you want to beat up something, running unbalanced tires is a sure way to do it.

Lastly, if you mount an out-of-round tire and spin-balance it, you're going to see the problem on the balancer. I'd rather have you find it there, than let me start down the road with a defective tire, only to have it blow out while I'm headed off on vacation.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer