Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-27-2014, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&SFTW View Post
May I suggest another for consideration? The dolmar ms.245.4.u is a fantastic trimmer and brush cutter. It has loads of power, has a very low nvh, and apps the fuel.

Oh, and is only about $300
I was going to suggest a Dolmar 245.4U, as well. I think it would fit your needs very well. Finding a stocking dealer, in my area, has been an issue. Better call, before you head out to yours.

The Honda looks to be a big, honking beast of a machine. It's another ~3lbs heavier and quite a bit more expensive. How much is too much, for what you're going to do with it?

I wouldn't have another 4-mix. My BR600 is probably hitting CL, next spring.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Bigger isn't always better. These "little" 4 strokes have a different, more usable power that makes them hard to compare to a lot of 2 strokes. Thew is very good reason 4 strokes have a strong following. My underpowered old trimmer had no problem cutting down an acre of brush, cutting all day long with no hiccups in the engine. This was with string, which is harder on the trimmer. The dolmar has more power, and comes with a blade kit. Use the blade for most of it, then switch to the string head for the trimming around things. I run only full synthetic oil (Mobil 1 0w30), which no doubt contributes to this, but it's not true at all that they can't handle the job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
These "little" 4 strokes have a different, more usable power that makes them hard to compare to a lot of 2 strokes.
Which is why I'm wanting to replace my 2-stroke trimmers with one Dolmar. I use just enough throttle to do the job.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 08-27-2014, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah. I got lucky, and found one in stock. If you do order one, I promise you will not be disappointed in the build quality. Other trimmers have flimsy loop handles (echo), flimsy tubes, flimsy guards (echo), flimsy engine housings, or flimsy controls (some echos). This is true of even more expensive machines, but not of even the base dolmar. It's just such a solid machine. The guard is kind of big, but it actually works similarly to a mower deck in how well it vectors the grass. I use mine for edging, trimming back shrubs, and even trees with low branches. The only time it complains is if I stand it straight on the starter. Otherwise it runs and doesn't smoke. I also wouldn't run it upside down, but I don't see much point in that, anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yeah. I got lucky, and found one in stock. If you do order one, I promise you will not be disappointed in the build quality. Other trimmers have flimsy loop handles (echo), flimsy tubes, flimsy guards (echo), flimsy engine housings, or flimsy controls (some echos). This is true of even more expensive machines, but not of even the base dolmar. It's just such a solid machine. The guard is kind of big, but it actually works similarly to a mower deck in how well it vectors the grass. I use mine for edging, trimming back shrubs, and even trees with low branches. The only time it complains is if I stand it straight on the starter. Otherwise it runs and doesn't smoke. I also wouldn't run it upside down, but I don't see much point in that, anyway.
Well, "MRCo" and I have been conversing about him shipping me one. Otherwise, I'll have to go to STL (100mi away), to find a stocking dealer.

And, I have the optional, full guards on my Stihl and Echo string trimmers. I wouldn't use their stock, sorry excuses for guards. It's a shame manufacturers are more interested in chasing ounces of weight, for their spec sheets, than keeping debris off the operator.

My 4-stroke Reciprocator does smoke, after running it as an edger. But, it clears up, when upright. When it needs oil, I just change it. I figure that's a good excuse for something without an hourmeter and that gets run in all orientations.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
Old 08-27-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah. This guard is a good one, so no need to buy a separate one, which is nice. Neither of my trimmers care about being used as an edger. I hope you find one, they really are an impressive machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The FS130 is the smallest I would do in that situation, and is the only one I would use in that situation. I'm a huge FS130 fan. I have the 130R, and I have yet to find thick grass and weeds that it couldn't cut with .105 X line. Better yet would be an FS240 or Husky 345, but the 130 should do the job quite well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
The FS130 is the smallest I would do in that situation
That's what I've been trying to tell these guys. How often do you think people mow around cattle fences? Once per month at best! The little Robin/Subaru is still a 24cc 4-stroke with 1 hp and for all the respect likely won't handle thick grass, plus a blade can't be used in this situation.

It does depend on how the fence looks like. Some livestock "mows" under the fence by itself whilst others don't.

I would however not recommend an FS130 if he plans to also use it around the house, in that case an FS110 with 0.095" round line is a better option.
Stihl FC85, MS192T, 041AV, MS200
Redmax HBZ2601

Old 09-03-2014, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have one of these, for the money it has served me well, and the easiest starting of all my handhelds.

http://www.cpooutlets.com/tanaka-tcg...efault,pd.html
Old 09-04-2014, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I mowed a field with. 75 hp and .095 line, so I know what I'm talking about. Even if you have to use line, 1hp on a 4 stroke engine is plenty. Honestly, the line is the limiter on productivity, even good line snaps and welds a lot when mowing anything besides grass.

Fyi, even with only .75hp, I only needed full throttle for the brush, for grass I still had an excess of power. The field hasn't been mowed all year until a few weeks ago when I did it.
Posted via Mobile Device