Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-26-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We paid around 62 with everything but high flow, that said I have to assume being in the territory that also covers NYC our price point must be one of the highest in USA, also reflected by the quote on the 308e we are renting right now lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOREDIRT View Post
I really do not understand why everyone weighs dealer support so much in their decision on which machine to buy. A brand new machine will not break down very often and when the warranty is up how can you afford to have the dealer work on it. Maybe I am the only one that turn wrenches on their machines. All of my machines have never been back to the dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Eveeyone has their own opinion of course, but for me it is for a couple reasons:

1) my full time job is as a computer engineer, so I dont have time to spend calling a dealer numerous times to get a call back, or check on repair status or other shop function.
2) If a company doesnt care about their customer's happiness, then really what chance will there be to get any service from them promptly? As noted, the Bobcat guy has not even bothered to follow up with me. I doubt I will get better service trying to order parts or attachments.With Cat I feel I can contact them easily and get a repair truck onsite if I breakdown, throw a track, etc. Bobcat never even mentioned having a repair truck...

And yes, if I had the time to learn the ins and outs of these machines, I would do so. It would be quite fun, however I am not willing to repair my own CTL and take a chance at breaking something else. I'll do routine maintenance, but not repairs. If I wanted to do repairs and had the time to learn how to do it right, I would buy a used one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCat View Post
Eveeyone has their own opinion of course, but for me it is for a couple reasons:

1) my full time job is as a computer engineer, so I dont have time to spend calling a dealer numerous times to get a call back, or check on repair status or other shop function.
2) If a company doesnt care about their customer's happiness, then really what chance will there be to get any service from them promptly? As noted, the Bobcat guy has not even bothered to follow up with me. I doubt I will get better service trying to order parts or attachments.With Cat I feel I can contact them easily and get a repair truck onsite if I breakdown, throw a track, etc. Bobcat never even mentioned having a repair truck...

And yes, if I had the time to learn the ins and outs of these machines, I would do so. It would be quite fun, however I am not willing to repair my own CTL and take a chance at breaking something else. I'll do routine maintenance, but not repairs. If I wanted to do repairs and had the time to learn how to do it right, I would buy a used one.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh believe me...every dealership has a repair truck available. But be prepared to give them a kidney and possibly a chunk of spleen.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
Oh believe me...every dealership has a repair truck available. But be prepared to give them a kidney and possibly a chunk of spleen.
I am sure they have one... Just pointing out basic communication between my two local dealers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Some people have good luck with their machines, and some of us don`t….My new bobcat e 50 has had numerous small problems that the dealer either did not repair properly, or something along those lines….The shipping costs to get the machine to the dealer is expensive, and as you I don`t have the knowledge or tools to do any serious repair---nor do I want to---
Don`t expect any dealer to do much for free, but also don`t expect them to really care about you if they don`t even return calls now….I think Bobcat has gotten they way they are because the rent so much , that they are constantly having to be tight with customers who try and put something over on them….Stick with a quality dealer with a good salesman who can look out for you Good Luck t
Old 08-26-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Good dealer product support is important for the reasons you listed. Also many dealers (many brands) offer a loaner machine during the warranty period if you're in the middle of a job you need to get finished. I know the local Cat dealer will provide a free machine while a broken machine is being repaired if it is in the warranty period. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digdeep View Post
Good dealer product support is important for the reasons you listed. Also many dealers (many brands) offer a loaner machine during the warranty period if you're in the middle of a job you need to get finished. I know the local Cat dealer will provide a free machine while a broken machine is being repaired if it is in the warranty period. Good luck.
Yes, my Cat dealer mentioned the loaner machine if I am on a job. Definitely a good protection against failure...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My view on this is simple. Deciding on what machine you want to buy new, is similar to who you plan on marrying. The relationship is much the same in my view. Your success is very much tied to your relationship with that dealer (assuming that the machine you bought is key to your business success). You will own that machine outside of warranty, and since most standard bumper to bumper warranties are only a year long, you need their support. I have bought all of my major pieces from the same dealer. After 20 years together we have a good understanding of each other. My situation is such that only CAT offers me what I think could be a similar experience. It has taken years of interaction with them to get to the point where I seriously consider them as an option when buying a piece of equipment.

If you get a bad feeling after interacting with a dealership, I would not consider them either.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
My view on this is simple. Deciding on what machine you want to buy new, is similar to who you plan on marrying. The relationship is much the same in my view. Your success is very much tied to your relationship with that dealer (assuming that the machine you bought is key to your business success). You will own that machine outside of warranty, and since most standard bumper to bumper warranties are only a year long, you need their support. I have bought all of my major pieces from the same dealer. After 20 years together we have a good understanding of each other. My situation is such that only CAT offers me what I think could be a similar experience. It has taken years of interaction with them to get to the point where I seriously consider them as an option when buying a piece of equipment.

If you get a bad feeling after interacting with a dealership, I would not consider them either.
Great way to look at it. And yea, this machine will be central to my success.. Outside of my dump truck, it is the only equipment I will own.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
He hates bobcats.

That being said buy what you want. Ask for demos.

I would buy a bobcat over the cat. But lately been eyeing kubota again
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes he does. Cat makes the best machines by far :sarcasm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post
You'll like the ride quality of the Cat's, very smooth. Don't believe the BS that others say about Cat's suspension not being able to cut a grade, those remarks are spread by people who can't even run a push mower in a straight line.
I wasn't impressed by the 289C and D's I've been in. But I don't have Cat underwear on either.

Didn't have my Bobcat at a site I was moving to and I paid a guy 20 bucks to push off some sand for my side dumps to get in to dump their boulders since space was tight and they couldn't get in......... with his 259D with 400hrs on it and I asked what he thought of the machine. He hated it. He is paying Cat 2k for them to take it and give him a new machine.... lot of sense in that. I then operasted it and thought it was gutless. It's tiny bucket was half full of sand and couldn't push off a little pile in front of it on a descending slope. It bogged down bad. Way more impressed with the Kubota SVL75-2 I had a couple weeks ago.

Dealer support is important too... part of the reason we switched from Case to Bobcat and Doosan. Or relationship is great we walk in and everyone knows us and treats us well... I know all the mechanics too.