Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Curb Stenciling?

I've been thinking of services I can add to mowing, since August has really been hard on my business (seems like no or very little rain for a month). I'm considering pressure washing, but after doing some research I probably need at least $1000 for the equipment and I don't have anywhere near that now, so it will have to wait.

I've heard about curb stenciling before; I don't know exactly how much it pays, but the job size is definitely small, even smaller than mowing. Adding some smaller services could help though; If I'm already marketing it's not really costing me more to ad a service (to my flyer, for example).

Does anyone do this, or do you consider it too small of a job to be profitable?
The only thing I could find on price was that it might start at $10, for just a black and white stencil. And since you use 2 colors of paint, you have to let the first coat dry, so it could take 20 minutes. It's definitely not worth a trip to paint one, but maybe I could work them into my mowing route, or just advertising in a neighborhood on Monday, but put on the flyer I will be doing the curbs on Thursday, and keep putting flyers until Wed. Then maybe I can pick up 4 or 5 jobs in one area. What do you think?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-27-2014, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion curb stencilling is not desirable to enough ppl around here to bother. Maybe your area is different. A service that I provide that is extremely profitable with not extra investment in equipment is eavestrough clearing. A ladder and a back pack blower is all you need and I already had both before I started offering it. Most houses around here takes 15 mins and depending if it is single or split lv roof my prices range from $40-$80. Mind you that service is wanted in the spring or fall more so then August. Just figured I'd share with you. It is very profitable for next to no overhead as long as you do not mind heights
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
In my opinion curb stencilling is not desirable to enough ppl around here to bother. Maybe your area is different. A service that I provide that is extremely profitable with not extra investment in equipment is eavestrough clearing. A ladder and a back pack blower is all you need and I already had both before I started offering it. Most houses around here takes 15 mins and depending if it is single or split lv roof my prices range from $40-$80. Mind you that service is wanted in the spring or fall more so then August. Just figured I'd share with you. It is very profitable for next to no overhead as long as you do not mind heights
Posted via Mobile Device
That could be the case here as well, I don't know yet. I do see different logos and numbers painted on curbs. One of my customers has one that needs repainting and he was interested.

I was confused by the word eavestrough until I looked it up, but I have done this before. Sometimes I have to run water in them though. Do you have trouble with the leaves sticking inside the gutter? I only have a hand held blower, but I assume it will just be slower. Thanks for reminding me about gutter cleaning. I'm hoping to get some of those jobs in the fall.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-27-2014, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh, I've been doing some research, and one company has prices listed: They start at $25 with no logo, any 2 colors. With a logo it is $32, and if you want a flag it's $38. I might not be able to get that much, but seeing that I think $10 is too low to start.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMowerMan2003 View Post
That could be the case here as well, I don't know yet. I do see different logos and numbers painted on curbs. One of my customers has one that needs repainting and he was interested.

I was confused by the word eavestrough until I looked it up, but I have done this before. Sometimes I have to run water in them though. Do you have trouble with the leaves sticking inside the gutter? I only have a hand held blower, but I assume it will just be slower. Thanks for reminding me about gutter cleaning. I'm hoping to get some of those jobs in the fall.
I run with stihl br600 back pack blowers so unless the leaves are frozen due to winter setting in never have any issues with them sticking. When temp are that low I'll bring up a rake handle/ broom stick and gently beat the frozen leaves loose. Another good tool is a 2ft long piece of garden hose to help clear debris from elbows in down spouts then shove the blower nozzle in/right over downspout and crank up the throttle. Way faster and easier then using water. Only downside to using a blow to do it is when there is a lot of water in eavestrough you get a lot of dirty run marks on white eaves that are visible from the ground. Rain typically makes them go away fast enough but some picky ppl will want you to wash them off, garden hose works good enough to do that tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2014, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know a guy that goes around to HOA, communities, subdiv, etc (50-1000 homes) and paints mailboxes for 20 bucks. The mailboxes look like crap (bird poop, fading, etc so it is a fairly easy sale. He makes a few bucks off the mailboxes. The mailboxes look good and this usually leads him to bigger paint jobs. Painting is very profitable business
Old 08-27-2014, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
I run with stihl br600 back pack blowers so unless the leaves are frozen due to winter setting in never have any issues with them sticking. When temp are that low I'll bring up a rake handle/ broom stick and gently beat the frozen leaves loose. Another good tool is a 2ft long piece of garden hose to help clear debris from elbows in down spouts then shove the blower nozzle in/right over downspout and crank up the throttle. Way faster and easier then using water. Only downside to using a blow to do it is when there is a lot of water in eavestrough you get a lot of dirty run marks on white eaves that are visible from the ground. Rain typically makes them go away fast enough but some picky ppl will want you to wash them off, garden hose works good enough to do that tho.
Posted via Mobile Device
For some reason I learned how to clean gutters with a hose, but I'm sure it's much more efficient to use a blower. One of the gutter jobs I did, there weren't that many leaves, so they washed down pretty quickly, but then there was some fine gritty material which I assumed washed off the roof that was still sitting there in the bottom. So I had to wash that out with more pressure. Would it be safe to blow that around?

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT
Old 08-29-2014, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All I can say is this: about every 3-5 years or so someone comes around our fairly upscale neighborhood, knocking on doors selling curb stenciling. It's usually around $20 or so and it takes them only a few minutes, it seems. I always go out and look and if mine looks like it needs it, I'll pay it every time. I haven't really needed it in the last 5 years or so. Whoever did it last did a good job. So that's the main disadvantage, I think - it's not a kind of business that has a lot of repeat customers.

Also, I think this kind of business works best when homeowners are home (evenings and weekends) and you can just knock on doors. Someone who was ambitious, willing to work nights and weekends, and willing to knock on doors could probably easily make $50-$100 per hour, doing this, I'd think. But I don't think it's something you're going to make a lot of money at if you're just throwing flyers on doors and trying to fit it in between mowings. You're going to find that you don't get enough calls or takers that way and eventually give up. But if you did it the right way, yah, I bet you could make some serious money.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 08-29-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Guys, keep in mind. For any arieal work, you need the proper insurance. I say this, because I'd hate to hear of a fellow member having an accident, then having no coverage or worse, a lawsuit. So if you do want to get Into arieal work, get the right coverage. Just my 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about the marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
All I can say is this: about every 3-5 years or so someone comes around our fairly upscale neighborhood, knocking on doors selling curb stenciling. It's usually around $20 or so and it takes them only a few minutes, it seems. I always go out and look and if mine looks like it needs it, I'll pay it every time. I haven't really needed it in the last 5 years or so. Whoever did it last did a good job. So that's the main disadvantage, I think - it's not a kind of business that has a lot of repeat customers.

Also, I think this kind of business works best when homeowners are home (evenings and weekends) and you can just knock on doors. Someone who was ambitious, willing to work nights and weekends, and willing to knock on doors could probably easily make $50-$100 per hour, doing this, I'd think. But I don't think it's something you're going to make a lot of money at if you're just throwing flyers on doors and trying to fit it in between mowings. You're going to find that you don't get enough calls or takers that way and eventually give up. But if you did it the right way, yah, I bet you could make some serious money.
I did put it on my flyer but I haven't done enough flyers to really tell response yet. I thought of having a certain day that I do a neighborhood, because driving there to do one stenciling job doesn't seem very cost effective. One solution was just to go do the stenciling and then pass out more flyers to make the trip worth it. But maybe you're right it would be better to knock on doors for this one.

LawnBoy push mower
Echo SRM 225
Hitachi Handheld blower
'99 Ford Ranger XLT