Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Pull 2 trailers behind 1 truck

Thinking about pulling a 5x10 atv trailer behind a 25' travel trailer, with my 05 dodge cummins, anybody ever do this? It's legal in my state and both trailers have brakes. I would be well under my trucks weight cap too.
Just not sure if there will be any sway at 75-80, might get one of those sway bars for back trailer.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a buddy that does that atleast once a month.
He actually puts his 4wheeler in bed of the truck, pulls a 30' bumperpull camper and has a small trailer behind the camper with his golf cart on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Thinking about pulling a 5x10 atv trailer behind a 25' travel trailer, with my 05 dodge cummins, anybody ever do this? It's legal in my state and both trailers have brakes. I would be well under my trucks weight cap too.
Just not sure if there will be any sway at 75-80, might get one of those sway bars for back trailer.
The only requirement I can think of, in some states, is the lead trailer must be a 5th wheel. That type of coupler can withstand the extra pulling forces of the second trailer. And, being the lead trailer is a 5th wheel trailer, it doesn't sway or whip like a bumper pull does, which provides more stability for the second trailer.

I've seen your proposed type of setup, rolling all around the country, and have never seen the second trailer swaying. I think in your case, the length of the first trailer calms what the second trailer will "see". Having pulled semi-doubles, in pup configuration (2X28'), the second trailer definitely "whips" more than one would expect. But, I think that's because the lead trailer is so short, in semi terms, and instantly transfers any input from the tractor into the second trailer. In turnpike setups where the lead trailer is 48' and the second is 28', I've never seen the second trailer sway. I doubt you'll have any sway issues, either.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 08-29-2014, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
The only requirement I can think of, in some states, is the lead trailer must be a 5th wheel. That type of coupler can withstand the extra pulling forces of the second trailer. And, being the lead trailer is a 5th wheel trailer, it doesn't sway or whip like a bumper pull does, which provides more stability for the second trailer.

I've seen your proposed type of setup, rolling all around the country, and have never seen the second trailer swaying. I think in your case, the length of the first trailer calms what the second trailer will "see". Having pulled semi-doubles, in pup configuration (2X28'), the second trailer definitely "whips" more than one would expect. But, I think that's because the lead trailer is so short, in semi terms, and instantly transfers any input from the tractor into the second trailer. In turnpike setups where the lead trailer is 48' and the second is 28', I've never seen the second trailer sway. I doubt you'll have any sway issues, either.
I agree. Having a short trailer out back shouldn't be an issue at all. It'll follow right behind the one in front of it.
You have a 5x10 with brakes?
18x8 flat bed w/custom removable gates and racks
2006 Great Dane Surfer 19/52
2002 eXmark Viking 36 hydro
2008 Hustler FasTrak Mini 17/36
eXmark Metro 26
2011 Honda HRC216HXA
Shindaiwa T242
Echo SRM-230
RedMax BCZ2450T
Shindaiwa Multi-tool
Shindaiwa EB802RT
Echo PB-755ST
Echo PB-210LE
Stihl HS45 Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-400
Ryan LA28 Aerator FOR SALE

AMSoil Dealer
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 AM
Sponsor

Call the FDOT for a final opinion. Personally pulling either a 32' or 36' trailer with my F-350 x 460 or the F-350 dullie with the V-10 I have never had any issues. Of course I would never travel at speeds of 75-80 MPH, usually 50 to 55 due to the weight and stopping distance required. With season rapidly approaching I would not consider even on a good day the configuration you are considering. To many folks in a hurry and even more not paying attention.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Great info hear guys! Thanks for the input. I'm not sure why I typed 75-80 lol we'd be around 65 maybe 70!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have pulled 3 bumper hitch trailers at one time I was hauling 140 bales of straw on each trailer and end trailer was my FNN straw Blower
A lot heads turned when I was pulling it
Old 09-09-2014, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I have pulled in this configuration and I've gotta say, if you hit 70 mph, you've got more huevos than me! I think the critical step is to load the trailers correctly with the appropriate tongue weight ratios, and to make absolutely sure the second trailer isn't heavier than the first. Good luck! It's gonna be a show!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-09-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Commercial can tow doubles but recreational can't in Floirda sorry about your luck. You pretty much can't do it up the whole east coast.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My uncle in Ohio wanted to pull his camper and utility trailer at the same time, if I remember right the biggest stipulation was his over-all length had to be under a certain amount.
Posted via Mobile Device