Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-29-2014, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdean_74 View Post
A friend of mine has had to file a lean against their house. It may take years but they have to pay if they want to sell or take out certain loans on the house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Lien laws vary by state. In some states the lien is only for a year or two and then it must be brought to suit or let go. I personally use a lien when there is a for sale sign in the yard.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have my own way of taking care of the pos customers that won't pay
Old 08-29-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So, I have one that owes $32 for example.. approacing 3 months. He won't pay, no reason.. said he already paid by credit card.. no record of it. no brainer there, i know he hasn't paid me, already checked the merchant account, customer won't check his bank records... Do you send people to collections over these small amounts? Part of me says NO, because what if i get a bad review online because i pi$$ed one guy off over $32.. it would hurt the business to get negative feedback of course, and i would lose more than $32 in potential business. But, when do you draw the line? I mean IF i didn't persist on every person that owed me small amounts, i'd let go alot. I guess this is the other part of the business i just suck at. Collections.. I checked the mail today, nothing but junk mail again.. no checks. I threw the damn mail all over the street and went back in the house.. lol. thats how irritated i am lately, i have people who should have paid me by now.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
So, I have one that owes $32 for example.. approacing 3 months. He won't pay, no reason.. said he already paid by credit card.. no record of it. no brainer there, i know he hasn't paid me, already checked the merchant account, customer won't check his bank records... Do you send people to collections over these small amounts? Part of me says NO, because what if i get a bad review online because i pi$$ed one guy off over $32.. it would hurt the business to get negative feedback of course, and i would lose more than $32 in potential business. But, when do you draw the line? I mean IF i didn't persist on every person that owed me small amounts, i'd let go alot. I guess this is the other part of the business i just suck at. Collections.. I checked the mail today, nothing but junk mail again.. no checks. I threw the damn mail all over the street and went back in the house.. lol. thats how irritated i am lately, i have people who should have paid me by now.
Welcome to being self employed. And a lawn guy at that. Your just a lawn guy, they can pay you when-ever their little heart desires.

For all your Mower Parts, Support a Small Family Man Business. Google ZERO TURN MAN.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Haven't chased money since 2009. No money no mow!!! Everybody pays a month in advance.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

This is not my business but it seems like it would be to your benefit to do a recurring credit card charge. You charge the account, it is approved, you mow.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Mechanics leins generally don't apply to a service that doesn't add value to the home. Definition may vary by state. Deadbeat customer websites have been ruled illegal and will hold you guilty of libel.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, see I really disagree with this.

Angies list and others can post all about "bad contractors"
But contractors can't look up "bad customers"?

Before the internet was popular, there was a 'verbal blacklist' in Fairfield county, Ct.
Every one knew which customers were the dead beats and run-arounders.
Well, at least everyone I knew, knew.