Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-28-2014, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
I think you should be honest any new employer about your buisiness and that your just looking for seasonal work, it's better in the long run. If you look hard enough or know some people you should be able to find some extra work for the winter, I would suggest starting to look now. Also you might find a employer that lets you come back every winter, if they like your work. I currently do work a part time job in a resturaunt a couple days a week over the winter to keep myself busy, they let me off when it snow's as well, I've been working with them over 10 years, it's a good relationship that I appreciate even today.
Good points. If I could actually find a job where I can be off for the snow drill then back to work on non snow days...I'd probably continue to do snow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSnow&Mow View Post
Thanks. Did you work for anybody in the lawn/landscape industry? Or have your own company? Or something completely different haha?
Posted via Mobile Device

I own my own company up in tbay now, I used to know a few of the companies in Stratford/New Hamburg.

Congratulations on starting early, I wish I started back when I was 14 instead of wasting time on video games.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiscCleanUpCrew View Post
I own my own company up in tbay now, I used to know a few of the companies in Stratford/New Hamburg.

Congratulations on starting early, I wish I started back when I was 14 instead of wasting time on video games.
Posted via Mobile Device
thanks. haha ya ive never been into video games, do you know the stratford property care guys?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gt331 View Post
Snow removal I've been going back in forth from I love it to I hate it for the last few years. I think however that I really enjoy it anymore. Considering that we have the trucks for the landscaping allready it's pretty easy to have a plowing buisiness. I like the money in the snow removal buisiness. If it snows 1 time each week and a couple saltings per month I can keep the bills paid, so considering that 3-4 months of no landscaping service, I really apreciate the snow work. I do enjoy the being out late at night plowing, it can be very relaxing at times, some things I don't like are, over worked with little sleep when we get hamered with snow, breakdowns of equiptment, and any snowfall over 8 inches at a time get me pretty worried especially when we have over 50 properties to take care of.
I do it because I need the money.

It is not bad because 12 snow storms over the course of mid Dec to end of March is not a lot of time.

What is bad is that I can not go away during that time of year because I can not count on my sons to be able to cover for me. I do not mind not being free to go away for any length of time mid March to mid December. Though to be tied down for the whole year makes me wish I could afford to give up snow.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I do it because I need the money.

It is not bad because 12 snow storms over the course of mid Dec to end of March is not a lot of time.

What is bad is that I can not go away during that time of year because I can not count on my sons to be able to cover for me. I do not mind not being free to go away for any length of time mid March to mid December. Though to be tied down for the whole year makes me wish I could afford to give up snow.
If I could in fact gross at least $7,000 off of flat rate snow I would do it again. That would be 25 accounts priced at an average of $280 seasonal flat rate.

There is a tiny glimmer of "snow optimism" in the back of my mind that says, "yeah get back in there and aggressively market".

Facts are even with my fast blowers....this number of accounts becomes difficult to grind through in a resonable period of time if the snow turns to wet heavy slush...solo. There is no guarantee I can capture that many accounts to in fact meet my income requirements. My commercial insurance payment is due in March. Just shy of $3k.

The stress I went through last year with a nominal amount of accounts and having my feet held to the fire "contractually" is not something I want to repeat again.

I really need a change of scenery and place. I dread the idea of leaving my son behind for months on end but leaving the area for a high paying job does have its appeal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi Exact. How is your insurance so high. My biz insurance is like $640 a yr for a million liability coverage.
What kind of blowers are you using. I'm considering getting a more powerful back pack blower for cleaning off walks and steps. Does anyone else do this? I do 35 snow accounts with a helper who has a 4 wheeler but my back can't take shoveling any more.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Hi Exact. How is your insurance so high. My biz insurance is like $640 a yr for a million liability coverage.
What kind of blowers are you using. I'm considering getting a more powerful back pack blower for cleaning off walks and steps. Does anyone else do this? I do 35 snow accounts with a helper who has a 4 wheeler but my back can't take shoveling any more.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have found the Toro Quick Chutes to be the fastest of the single stage throwers. Echo PB770 and 755 back pack blowers. Those really only work for dry powder snow up to maybe 6-8" on steps. Deeper it is the drier it needs to be to move well.

My commercial insurance policy includes my trucks and trailers and equipment for theft and replacement.

I had thought of offering a driveway only clearing plan at a reduced rate. Hate the tedium of hand shoveling steps when the pressure is on and grumpy old clients are waiting. Basically faster to run up and down the driveway only with Toro Single stage blower than it is to hand shovel step etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Any of you thought about just plowing for the state or for a commercial snow contractor? Big one here in MD pay s $70 an hour for a truck/suv with just blade. More for salt/dumps.

He doesnt care what you drive as long as it pushes and has 30+ commercial contracts. Ive never done less then 12 hours in a a storm and a 6" storm is usually 36+ hours and 2" around 24

Just a thought if you want to let off some of the stress of maintaining the accounts and all the headaches. If i want to go out of town i just let him know dates so he knows im not available. he has 100+ people working for him he gets it all covered.

He also pays people to run his own equipment and runs a bunch of machines as well as dumps and pickups.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
Any of you thought about just plowing for the state or for a commercial snow contractor? Big one here in MD pay s $70 an hour for a truck/suv with just blade. More for salt/dumps.

He doesnt care what you drive as long as it pushes and has 30+ commercial contracts. Ive never done less then 12 hours in a a storm and a 6" storm is usually 36+ hours and 2" around 24

Just a thought if you want to let off some of the stress of maintaining the accounts and all the headaches. If i want to go out of town i just let him know dates so he knows im not available. he has 100+ people working for him he gets it all covered.

He also pays people to run his own equipment and runs a bunch of machines as well as dumps and pickups.
I don't have a plow for my truck. Most years this is NOT a heavy snow area. We did have 2 heavy winters few years back. 80"+ each winter. Most years nominal snow fall. Numerous trips for less than 4-5"...

I hate to admit to admit it...I'm horrible at quitng things. Making my final decision this holiday weekend.

Tiny glimmer of hope in offering a 12 month flat rate plan for total lawn and snow. NO Pruning. Or flower bed work or hand weeding.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-04-2014, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If I quit snow. Numerous folks are going to ask who do they call -or- who can I recommend...?

Seriously most folks in my area have helpful neighbors who will clear walks up and down the street just to be nice.

If I loose a few growing season clients that's fine.
Posted via Mobile Device